Feel inadequate compared to my sister

Watch
zeddem
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi.
My sister currently does maths at Cambridge while I am studying medicine at St George's.

I always find myself comparing myself to her and I feel somewhat dumber than her because I didn't go to Oxbridge.
I can't help thinking my family refer to me as the "less intelligent" one and I know I shouldn't care what people think but this has been playing in my mind for a while and it's putting me down especially because I got rejected from UCL for medicine.

Any advice? (No hate please)

Posted from TSR Mobile
ProppaNutty
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zeddem)
Hi.
My sister currently does maths at Cambridge while I am studying medicine at St George's.

I always find myself comparing myself to her and I feel somewhat dumber than her because I didn't go to Oxbridge.
I can't help thinking my family refer to me as the "less intelligent" one and I know I shouldn't care what people think but this has been playing in my mind for a while and it's putting me down especially because I got rejected from UCL for medicine.

Any advice? (No hate please)

Has it really come to the fact that you believe that you as a person is judged by your intelect and what kind of education you have.

like Einstien said:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Albert Einstein

So you are clever in your own way, do you believe that your sister could get into Oxbridge to study medicine ? (if so, then she is bloody clever)

But don't compare yourself against others, it will only put you down
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You could sew a button on the angst here.
Genocidal
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
Why would you feel inadequate?

You're pretty much guaranteed a good job at the end of your course, but she isn't. I'd say your future is the most secure at the moment. If anything, she should be the one feeling inadequate.
zeddem
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Genocidal)
Why would you feel inadequate?

You're pretty much guaranteed a good job at the end of your course, but she isn't. I'd say your future is the most secure at the moment. If anything, she should be the one feeling inadequate.
As pathetic as it sounds it's because of the university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Moving this to relationships.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.45%
I'm not sure (32)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.25%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.31%
I'm not a current university student (358)
48.64%

Watched Threads