Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gym routine? (for a woman) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could help me create an effective gym routine. I am looking to lose weight all over and tone up, but my main problem area are my legs (i have chubby thighs, knees, calves and ankles! my calves are quite thick so anything to make my legs leaner in general would be great...), hips and bum. My stomach is quite flat - I would say I'm a typical pear shape, leaning towards hourglass. I am a UK size 10/12 on top, 12/14 on bottom. I weigh 152 lbs (10st 12, 69kg).

At the moment I got to the gym on average 3 times a week (maybe more, maybe less depending on how I'm feeling - but I'm really trying to force myself to go now!). Typically I got on the cross trainer for 10-15 mins doing warm up, 40 secs max effort/20 secs gentle effort then cool down. I then move onto the bike and do the same. After that I walk on a shallow incline for 5-10 mins to rest my legs for a bit then I do my 30 day challenges: squats (sometimes using leg press 25kg, sometimes not) and abs.

Basically, I go into the gym and wing it. I don't know if what I'm doing is effective as I'm a novice. Any advice/tips would be appreciated! Ta

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that I avoid running because I have bad knees, so I'd like to opt for low impact exercises..

ReputationRep:
    squat. then do some more squats.

then squat some more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamu)
    squat. then do some more squats.

then squat some more
    I have mentioned in the post that I'm doing the 30 day squat challenge at the moment to get me into it - anything to suggest what to do after I finish that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vineyard13)
    I have mentioned in the post that I'm doing the 30 day squat challenge at the moment to get me into it - anything to suggest what to do after I finish that?
    more squats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLionHearted)
    more squats
    ok i get the message to do more squats. how about cardio? or anything to make my legs leaner?

ReputationRep:
    This is my suggestion. However, if you've naturally got thick legs, exercising isn't going to decrease them... It can make the muscles more defined but unfortunately you're stuck with the bone structure you have. That said, for more defined and leaner looking legs and a better bum try the following:

Scrap that 30 squat challenge crap. Extreme levels of reps with no weight is going to do nothing. You can't spot target fat and no weight isn't going to build muscle... So effectively these challenges are a waste of time.

3 sets of 8 rep squats with weight. Start with dumbells or a kettle bell. Try 5kg in each hand or a 8-10kg kettle bell to start off and increase each time.

Lunges with the same weight

Split squats (one foot up on a platform) - Google it.

Hip thrusts, these can be done with a barbell, not very comfy but pretty effective

Calf raises, either with a machine or using a platform and weight

Make sure to stretch after each set and do a proper warm up/cool down.

ReputationRep:
    ok i get the message to do more squats. how about cardio? or anything to make my legs leaner?
    Girls tend to underestimate how much cardio they can do. 10m on a slow incline is near worthless tbh, you should eventually aim to be running on the treadmill for 30m if you want to lose weight.

You can download a good weights routine using google in about 5m, have a look. No point winging it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Girls tend to underestimate how much cardio they can do. 10m on a slow incline is near worthless tbh, you should eventually aim to be running on the treadmill for 30m if you want to lose weight.

You can download a good weights routine using google in about 5m, have a look. No point winging it.
    I mainly only do this walking to give my legs a rest before I go on the weight machine. I try to avoid running because I have bad knees, so i prefer cross trainer or bike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    This is my suggestion. However, if you've naturally got thick legs, exercising isn't going to decrease them... It can make the muscles more defined but unfortunately you're stuck with the bone structure you have. That said, for more defined and leaner looking legs and a better bum try the following:

Scrap that 30 squat challenge crap. Extreme levels of reps with no weight is going to do nothing. You can't spot target fat and no weight isn't going to build muscle... So effectively these challenges are a waste of time.

3 sets of 8 rep squats with weight. Start with dumbells or a kettle bell. Try 5kg in each hand or a 8-10kg kettle bell to start off and increase each time.

Lunges with the same weight

Split squats (one foot up on a platform) - Google it.

Hip thrusts, these can be done with a barbell, not very comfy but pretty effective

Calf raises, either with a machine or using a platform and weight

Make sure to stretch after each set and do a proper warm up/cool down.
    Thanks for this any suggestions for a good cardio routine (preferably no running?)

ReputationRep:
    I mainly only do this walking to give my legs a rest before I go on the weight machine. I try to avoid running because I have bad knees, so i prefer cross trainer or bike.
    Use the bike for 30m then

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this any suggestions for a good cardio routine (preferably no running?)
    Can you use the bike? Try some HIIT training with either a bike, crosstrainer or even a rower if running is out of the question. Cardio is overrated though, of course it's beneficial but in terms of weight loss diet is the main factor.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have pretty chunky legs, and found the best cardio exercise for this was long distance running. I know endurance cardio gets a lot of stick on here, but honestly I run 10K twice a week and have noticed my legs are so much leaner and slimmer, and I get complimented on my legs a lot. I've lost 3 inches off both my thighs combined since March, which doesn't sound like a lot but it's made such a difference. The amount of people on here who claim they can't run because of 'bad knees' is ridiculous. I know this because I was one of those people. And guess what, to start with my knees were sore during/ after runs. But I kept going and now it doesn't bother me all. It's not such a case of bad knees as 'underused knees'. They just need a kick start and you'll be absolutely fine.

However, I also eat at a defecit, do HIIT 2-4 times a week and strength 3-4 times a week. It's a whole lifestyle thing, you can't just do one thing and expect it to change. Got to eat at a defecit and do your cardio to lose the fat, weights to minimise muscle loss, thus giving nice definition.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If i were you I would look/join >> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

female bodybuilding/lifting site

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I didn't read every response but here is a pro-tip which you may already be aware of but it's always worth clarifying when I see someone use the words "tone up".

"Toning" is loosing weight. You loose fat around a muscle, it becomes more defined and visible. In collaboration with weight training the muscle becomes larger and therefore even more visible. The toning myth is why people carrying belly fat but who arent fat as such are always so confused as to why their sit up routine hasn't given them *****in' abdominals.

Just don't ever do like 500 dumbell curls cause you want "defined arms"...unless you're doing other stuff to cut your body fat.

ReputationRep:
    Train with weights (weight training) & high-intensity interval workouts. You'll get in shape in no time. Also, your diet plays a big part in your results. Make sure you get enough nutrients and are eating healthy (you can find good meal plans and ideas online. I use Shaun T's one that comes with his workout vids).
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    To round your bum you'll need to lift

Ok first of all... anyone who says to do squats, squats and squats is facepalm. Hamstrings and glutes require deadlifts and other stuff on occasion

The FAQ for girls is good for this however that said, there's no reason why you cannot follow a programme designed for men. Yes you won't be able to gain muscle at the same rate and you'll plateau earlier but for starters it'll be just fine.

Quite a few girls follow Stronglifts 5x5, but something like ICF 5x5 would probably serve well as well

Depending on what exactly is wrong with your knees, squatting is actually beneficial as it strengthens all the tendons and muscles of the knee joint.

If squatting below parallel hurts your knees more than just a dull ache afterwards for more than 2-3 times, try the leg press machine.

Diet wise, something like Myfitnesspal is great. To build muscle effectively you'll need to gain weight slowly (a lb a week is about right) and eat enough protein (0.8g per lb of bw is enough or 1g - 1.5g per kg of bw depending on who you listen to)

Cardio wise on your off days is good - something like swimming is good low impact exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)

Not really that helpful to suggest the incline is nearly worthless. It really isn't for the purpose of burning calories. A fast walk on a high incline burns a surprising amount of calories for the relative effort you exert.

Especially on days where she'll be doing some weight lifting and other exercises, running for 30 minutes and probably fatiguing isn't very beneficial and will reduce the amount of effort on the other exercises. If running isn't very enjoyable then running for a long time is just demoralizing and draining.

Maybe some HIIT using the rowing machine might be better for your knees OP and from experience this is a far better method for improving general fitness whilst still burning a good amount of calories, even on lifting days.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anyone could help me create an effective gym routine. I am looking to lose weight all over and tone up, but my main problem area are my legs (i have chubby thighs, knees, calves and ankles! my calves are quite thick so anything to make my legs leaner in general would be great...), hips and bum. My stomach is quite flat - I would say I'm a typical pear shape, leaning towards hourglass. I am a UK size 10/12 on top, 12/14 on bottom. I weigh 152 lbs (10st 12, 69kg).

At the moment I got to the gym on average 3 times a week (maybe more, maybe less depending on how I'm feeling - but I'm really trying to force myself to go now!). Typically I got on the cross trainer for 10-15 mins doing warm up, 40 secs max effort/20 secs gentle effort then cool down. I then move onto the bike and do the same. After that I walk on a shallow incline for 5-10 mins to rest my legs for a bit then I do my 30 day challenges: squats (sometimes using leg press 25kg, sometimes not) and abs.

Basically, I go into the gym and wing it. I don't know if what I'm doing is effective as I'm a novice. Any advice/tips would be appreciated! Ta

EDIT: I'd also like to mention that I avoid running because I have bad knees, so I'd like to opt for low impact exercises..

Start off with Deadlifts/Squatting. They're the basic compound movements as well as the bench-press.

For cardio to some HIIT - High Intensity Training. Interval sprints/Tabata training etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.