Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how much experience did you have in a school when applying for pgce? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Question as above.

I've done three days observing in a secondary school plus a bit of one to one music tutoring (not the subject I actually want to teach!).

I definitely think I could do with getting more experience days under my belt! Perhaps another weeks worth (I will hopefully be applying for September 2015 entry to teach food tech).

How much experience did you do in a school as part of being successful into pgce course entry? I'm a bit worried that at the moment I've not quite done enough just yet!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! How did you get into that? Emailing/calling your local schools?

ReputationRep:
    I hold a conditional offer for a Secondary History PGCE and I have 3 weeks in one secondary school, 10 days in a different secondary school, I volunteered with taking children on a trip every weekend - places like bowling alleys, the cinema etc.

I actually had very little experience compared to a lot of other people who applied.

I also did a few days with my uni involving talkin to year nines about university and dispelling some myths - like it's really expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers people

I definitely need to get more experience...it would be so daft not to because I really want to get onto a pgce for sept 15 entry.

How can you tell that food tech is less competitive? Is it because there are still vacancies on courses?

ReputationRep:
    I got on with only 5 days experience. I struggled as I was full time working as well. I would say get more then me probably about 2 weeks worth but I think it depends on the course too.

good luck!! X

ReputationRep:
    I had 2 weeks in my old secondary school applying for a secondary English PGCE. I got a conditional offer which stated that I had to get an additional 2 weeks in another secondary school.

I'd say you either need 3-4 weeks in one school or 2 weeks in one school then 2 weeks in another.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have any experience (apart from having younger family members) and got on PGCE Primary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesFManc)
    I didn't have any experience (apart from younger family members) and got on.
    None at all? Was this mentioned in your interview. It is supposed to be a requirement of anybody undertaking a PGCE that they have a minimum of 10 days in a state school in England.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    It is supposed to be a requirement of anybody undertaking a PGCE that they have a minimum of 10 days in a state school in England.
    Although universities frequently ask for 5 or 10 days experience there is no such requirement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not willing to share my experiences here as no doubt some snobs will report me to a teaching union, but I had no experience no
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesFManc)
    ... some snobs will report me to a teaching union ...
    :confused:

Perhaps you are the "snob"? The rest of us are happy slumming it with our cut-price LEGOLAND Windsor tickets.

http://www.nasuwtbenefits.co.uk/bene...CI=29&btHome=1

ReputationRep:
    You weren't an English teacher, thankfully

ReputationRep:
    I had ten days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was career changing from early years to secondary and had one day observation - I was advised to get some more if I could and we have 2 weeks prior to starting the course too.

ReputationRep:
    I've just completed a year as an SEN TA in a secondary school. It was listed as a 'desirable' entry requirement for my PGCE, but I think they recommend around 10 days as an absolute minimum (This is for Liverpool Hope and Manchester Met, others might vary!)

ReputationRep:
    At the time of submitting my application, one day in a school and a year's experience of teaching EFL. I got on to the waiting list for the next year as my application was late.

By the time I started the PGCE eighteen months after the interview, I had one day plus one year of working as an LSA in a secondary school, plus the EFL experience. Really though, I got through the interview with only a day in school so the year's experience was entirely for personal development.

ReputationRep:
    I take my hat off to everyone who has masses of experience but I'm relieved to observe that people have got on with around ten days too. I say this because whilst I can see lots of experience as tremendously beneficial, I will be doing and msc (or some of one) this year with perhaps the odd bit of temp working too. Add to that that it's not always easy to get into a school for experience.

I'm going to aim for more than ten days total (so another seven to go) but know that should I not be able to exceed this, hopefully there's still a chance.

I've also done a bit of private music tuition with mature learners and have a diploma in this if this is worth mentioning on my pgce application? (Even though I will be applying to for food tech pgce).

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the subject, they can even be happy with less. I'm starting a Chemistry PGCE in September at Bristol, and I only have 2 days observation at my old school, and 2 days observation in another local school. You just have to be able to convince them that you've definitely thought it through and that teaching is definitely what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 3 weeks in two different secondary schools plus 7 mths as an English Language Asst in France. I'm expecting that to be sufficient for MFL Secondary PGCE. Only trouble is I quite fancy upper primary after spending a day observing - might have to try and get some primary experience before deciding - probably easier said than done, judging by the difficulty people have had getting primary schools to let them in.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's really difficult, and I think a lot of providers are realistic at knowing you can't get much more than two weeks, and even that is hard. It is based on luck quite a lot because it really depends what the schools in your area are like. There were only a few near me who were co-operative, but even then they normally say they will only be able to give X amount of days (normally a couple).

I think I've said before in another thread, but one of the schools I did my work exp in last year have started charging £50 for two (maybe three) days work experience with them, under the guise of a "teaching experience package". I think it's disgusting to be honest. They are just exploiting the difficulty of us being able to find experience. I wouldn't ever pay for experience, just on principle.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.