The Student Room Group

dont know what to do next with an 2.2

Just finished uni in the summer got an 2.2 in interior design BA... but dont know what i would like to do next, was originally wanting to do an masters but thats out the window what could I do with with this **** grade ? Graduate course ? Or maybe distance learning courses to build my grade up if thats even possible, what type of courses should I apply for master, postgraduate.... ?
Reply 1
Do you want to work with interior design? In that case focus on getting experience!
Workexperience is the be and all end. So try to get it and then you will have alos a much better idea of which degrees or certifications would be good to add. As your BA is not in a very academic subject, as long as you don't need a Master to enter a certain profession, it is not worth the extra effort.
Reply 3
I don't know what you'd do next with a 2.1 in that course? Presumably the companies you'd work for in the business of interior design are not massive firms getting 1000s of applicants each year so perhaps they won't care so much that you got a 2.2 as they don't need to filter through applicants as much. I mean if there's more to your CV you still have a shot at finding employment you're just going to have to be willing to put in the time really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dave1a
Just finished uni in the summer got an 2.2 in interior design BA... but dont know what i would like to do next, was originally wanting to do an masters but thats out the window what could I do with with this **** grade ? Graduate course ? Or maybe distance learning courses to build my grade up if thats even possible, what type of courses should I apply for master, postgraduate.... ?

Hi dave1a;48745519

I am a human resources management masters student myself at university of Salford and enjoying my time there. As you may already know at masters level and after masters it's about time to get that dream job so i advice you attend a full time thought course while doing some part time jobs to build and boost both academic and experience.

What course are you interested inn?
Reply 5
honestly a 2:1 in a course like that wouldn't of done much either so you might as well re evaluate your options and do something a little more useful
Original post by SalfordRep_Joyce
Hi dave1a;48745519

I am a human resources management masters student myself at university of Salford and enjoying my time there and anyone can do the same basically with full focus and dedication.

As you may already know at masters level and after masters it's about time to get that dream job so i advice you attend a full time thought course while doing some part time jobs to build and boost both academic and experience.

Although I understand your concerns about your grade and it only normal. The best thing you can do is finding the right course and school and seeing what the entry requirements are as some school might require you to go through clearing in order to fully access you to determine if they can offer you a place or not.

However, you never know until you try.

What course are you interested inn?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by dave1a

If you'd got a 2:1 or First, what would you have done? That will give you a direction.

Being an interior designer doesn't need a Masters, so if you want to do that professionally you're now in a good position to get your foot on the work ladder.

If you have your heart set on postgrad because you enjoy learning, then look for options like a PGDip, which will start you on postgrad study with a 2:2. It's essentially the taught elements of a Masters without the final dissertation. If you get lucky, you might find somewhere which will let you start on a PGDip and progress to a full Masters diss if your coursework marks are good enough.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
If you have your heart set on postgrad because you enjoy learning, then look for options like a PGDip, which will start you on postgrad study with a 2:2. It's essentially the taught elements of a Masters without the final dissertation. If you get lucky, you might find somewhere which will let you start on a PGDip and progress to a full Masters diss if your coursework marks are good enough.
Isn't it possible to get a semi-respectable Master's with a 2:2?
Reply 9
Original post by Kalivha
Isn't it possible to get a semi-respectable Master's with a 2:2?

It depends on the field I guess. Certainly undergrad colleagues of mine who graduated with a 2:2 couldn't get onto a full Masters to begin with. Two of them started off on a PGDip and completed a full Masters, one at an RG uni.

My advice is to shop around. Whilst a 2:1/First is the standard entry requirement for a Masters, you might find some with lower ones. For example, some new courses can have lower entry requirements than others, just to get them populated and to start building a reputation.

If you spot a Masters that you particularly like the look of which specifies a 2:1/First, it's worth shooting the Course Leader an email which projects your enthusiasm, to ask whether the entry requirements might be negotiable. You've nothing to lose - if you don't ask, you don't get.
Work experience, work experience, work experience. Just to reiterate: work experience.

Start googling places and draw yourself up a list of places to narrow down. Employers love work experience because it's free and immediately lets them know you would be suitable for a job. It is not something to be looked down upon at all.

Find a place and get experience there for a while. Then check at the place you're working whether they would be able to transfer you to a job when a vacancy opens up. Then, once you're in you can always move if and only if a better opportunity opens up elsewhere.

Forget postgraduate for now, if you want to make it in interior design jump in and start building a career. You can always go do post grad later when you've become established-- who knows, maybe they'll help fund it if you're talented enough :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest