Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this question has been probably asked a thousand times (sorry!), but has anyone on TSR who is at Nottingham University gotten in to the uni on lower grades. In other words, did you miss your entry requirements but were still accepted?

I can't stop worrying that this may happen to me. I have an offer of BBB but I think I may end up with BBC/BCC. I had such a bad time with A2 exams like I'm sure a lot of other people did too!

Do you think it's worth me waiting until results day, or just giving up now and withdrawing?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely worth waiting! they're quite lenient, however depends a lot on what course you've applied to since some are a lot more popular than others. two of my mates came in through clearing in sociology and ancient history so there is still plenty of hope!

ReputationRep:
    It's super hard for anybody who's not part of your department's admissions team to be able to predict.

It varies year-on-year depending upon changes in the number of applicants, number who Firm/Insurance/Reject the offer, the level of offers, the cases of >ABB and <ABB under the government's Student Number Controls, that year's A Level grades, that year's applicants for your course's A Level grades, etc.

If you get BBC/BCC on a BBB offer then you're not a borderline Student Number Controls case, so missing your offer means far less for the university as an institution than if your offer was ABB+ and you missed the offer.

I wouldn't withdraw your offer as there's no huge benefit in doing so.

I got in below my offer and I know plenty others who did. All you can do for now is concentrate on your exams, do your best, and wait for the admissions process to run its course, and of course be prepared for results day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julle6)
    Definitely worth waiting! they're quite lenient, however depends a lot on what course you've applied to since some are a lot more popular than others. two of my mates came in through clearing in sociology and ancient history so there is still plenty of hope!
    Thanks for the reassurance I've applied for a languages course, not quite sure how lenient language courses are, but like you said I'll just have to wait and see! I'm really hoping I haven't missed my offer but you never know.

(Original post by DarkWhite)
    It's super hard for anybody who's not part of your department's admissions team to be able to predict.

It varies year-on-year depending upon changes in the number of applicants, number who Firm/Insurance/Reject the offer, the level of offers, the cases of >ABB and <ABB under the government's Student Number Controls, that year's A Level grades, that year's applicants for your course's A Level grades, etc.

If you get BBC/BCC on a BBB offer then you're not a borderline Student Number Controls case, so missing your offer means far less for the university as an institution than if your offer was ABB+ and you missed the offer.

I wouldn't withdraw your offer as there's no huge benefit in doing so.

I got in below my offer and I know plenty others who did. All you can do for now is concentrate on your exams, do your best, and wait for the admissions process to run its course, and of course be prepared for results day
    Thanks for this, I never knew that's how the system works! If my offer isn't ABB+ does that mean, that, by it meaning far less to the uni, it's easier for them to reject my offer if I miss my grades?

Thank you for your help though, I'll do as you've said and be prepared.

ReputationRep:
    So what are the odds of nottingham being in clearing/adjustment and available to students with ABB+ in LLB Law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeoHX4)
    Thanks for this, I never knew that's how the system works! If my offer isn't ABB+ does that mean, that, by it meaning far less to the uni, it's easier for them to reject my offer if I miss my grades?

Thank you for your help though, I'll do as you've said and be prepared.
    In short, the government has said to universities they can recruit as many students as they want who achieve ABB+, but there is a limit on how many they can take each year under ABB and if they exceed that limit, they are fined for each student they are over.

So if your offer is say AAB and you get ABB, the university is financially-happy to accept you because the government still funds your place.

If your offer is BBB and you get BCC then the university is likely also to still be financially-happy to accept you because they'd already given you an offer xpecting you to be in their <ABB quota.

If you offer was ABB and you got BBC though, it would depend a lot more on how everybody else did as to whether they accept you. If lots of people didn't meat their offer and the university looked to have too many people with under ABB then they'd have no option but to say no to people, as they'd lose money.

So the university already has you in the <ABB quota. Unless lots of ABB+ people fail to meet their offer, then you're not tipping over the boundary.

That is only part of what is a very complex decision-making process with dozens of variables that simply can't be predicted or aren't known to anyone but the admissions teams.

ReputationRep:
    I got into Nottingham University last year (for History and Politics) and I dropped a grade so it's definitely worth sticking it out and ringing up on Results Day. Although it really does depend on your subject as ones like Pharmacy and Law are not flexible as they are so highly oversubscribed.

(Original post by neal95)
    So what are the odds of nottingham being in clearing/adjustment and available to students with ABB+ in LLB Law?
    With the above in mind, I would almost say there's no chance of it being in clearing as it is a A*AA course. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    In my offer, B in the language I want to study is required. I'm sure I'm going to achieve a C and just miss this (annoyingly). Will this mean an outright rejection?

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem. My offer was also BBB but i am looking to get either ABD/BBC so i can understand how stressed and worried you are. I have my heart set on going to Nottingham and since confirming a place at my first choice accommodation I am even more eager to go!!!

ReputationRep:
    In my offer, B in the language I want to study is required. I'm sure I'm going to achieve a C and just miss this (annoyingly). Will this mean an outright rejection?
    Not necessarily. I'm not 100% sure on language courses to be honest. Just try and stay positive. Trust me I know it's hard, I had about thirty worst case scenarios in my head leading up to last results' day. I even made up a document about all the things to do and all the phone numbers and when to do it all on the day itself IF things went wrong...none of which I recommend. Things can work out for the best. I also know someone who dropped TWO grades and still got in.

Which course have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EMassey)
    Not necessarily. I'm not 100% sure on language courses to be honest. Just try and stay positive. Trust me I know it's hard, I had about thirty worst case scenarios in my head leading up to last results' day. I even made up a document about all the things to do and all the phone numbers and when to do it all on the day itself IF things went wrong...none of which I recommend. Things can work out for the best. I also know someone who dropped TWO grades and still got in.

Which course have you applied for?
    I guess the subject in which they ask for a specific grade is a really important part of your offer though? That's what I'm most gutted about at the moment. Thanks for the positive advice though I've done exactly what you've said so far (whoops!) and I've looked at other courses in clearing.

Which course do you study? If you don't mind me asking? And was that somebody who goes to Notts as well? I've applied to study German myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm praying for leniency from them right now as well. I'm hoping to be studying French and Beginners' Spanish and whilst I'm thinking I'll hopefully get an A or an A* in French I'm worried about geography which I think I'll get a C in and my offer is ABB.. I don't know how much of an impact my geography grade will have on my chances of getting in since I do think I'll do well in French

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okdt)
    I'm praying for leniency from them right now as well. I'm hoping to be studying French and Beginners' Spanish and whilst I'm thinking I'll hopefully get an A or an A* in French I'm worried about geography which I think I'll get a C in and my offer is ABB.. I don't know how much of an impact my geography grade will have on my chances of getting in since I do think I'll do well in French
    At least your grade in French will be amazing! A/A* wow, I'd have loved to achieve that. Hopefully if you achieve C in Geography they'll still let you in as it's not your most important A Level. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    At least your grade in French will be amazing! A/A* wow, I'd have loved to achieve that. Hopefully if you achieve C in Geography they'll still let you in as it's not your most important A Level. Good luck
    I hope so, I wonder if languages in general are undersubscribed since they seem to be so unpopular, that may help us as well.. Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    Currently the uni is anticipating clearing spaces in Chinese Studies, Sociology, Humanities and Modern Languages so you may have a good chance!

ReputationRep:
    Currently the uni is anticipating clearing spaces in Chinese Studies, Sociology, Humanities and Modern Languages so you may have a good chance!
    Thanks. I've pretty much accepted that fact I'm probably not going to get in anyway because of my weak grade. My space has probably gone into clearing

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I've pretty much accepted that fact I'm probably not going to get in anyway because of my weak grade. My space has probably gone into clearing
    I disagree. I'd say that means they can't already fill the spaces. I think this is good news for you. Don't panic!!!

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. I'd say that means they can't already fill the spaces. I think this is good news for you. Don't panic!!!
    Thank you for your reassurance I hope they accept me. Would be gutted to lose my place as it's such a wonderful university with wonderful students like yourself. I'll let you know how I get on (and try not to panic).

ReputationRep:
    Update: Unsuccessful

Thank you all for your help and good luck to all others.

ReputationRep:
    Update: Unsuccessful

Thank you all for your help and good luck to all others.
    Awh! What a shame, I'm so sorry. I'm sure you will still succeed in life so don't you worry

Good luck in the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.