The Student Room Group

Is it important from which country the degree is obtained?

Hello,

The title says it all, is it important from where the degree is obtained, or the ranking of the university is all what matters?

I still didn't hear about people choosing something like, for example, Taiwan or Finland as their study destination, but let's say you got a chance to study in their #1 universities (which are ranked on world's top 100), would you prefer those universities to lower-ranked universities in somewhere like the US or Canada?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Any thoughts?
I think it matters what kind of field you wish to study. Degrees that require country specific knowledge on legislation or service system (like law or social work) might not be as desirable abroad, since the gained degree won't necessarily be easily transferred to the country where one wishes to work after graduation (if it's not the same country where the studies take place).
Reply 3
Thank you for replying.

I am planning to study engineering that has physics involved in it (eg. electrical or mechanical).

What I am trying to say is that when we look at the examples I mentioned earlier, Finland or Taiwan are study destinations that aren't as popular as the US or Canada, therefore the reputation of Finland and Taiwan is relatively "unknown". Is that how employers look at the certificates, or do they check the universities' rankings?

I am sorry, the way I ask the questions is a bit confusing. :biggrin:
Original post by Najeed23
Thank you for replying.

I am planning to study engineering that has physics involved in it (eg. electrical or mechanical).

What I am trying to say is that when we look at the examples I mentioned earlier, Finland or Taiwan are study destinations that aren't as popular as the US or Canada, therefore the reputation of Finland and Taiwan is relatively "unknown". Is that how employers look at the certificates, or do they check the universities' rankings?

I am sorry, the way I ask the questions is a bit confusing. :biggrin:

Depends also on where you want to work later. How it is seen is different from country to country, so it is impossible to give an answer.
As long as it's accepted by the relevant institutions and is an accredited degree course, with all other factors aside, why not.
Reply 6
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
As long as it's accepted by the relevant institutions and is an accredited degree course, with all other factors aside, why not.

You convinced me. :biggrin:
You convinced me. :biggrin:

Cool! It might be a good experience going international, so long as factors like money or perhaps language aren't a personal barrier to you.
Your best bet would be doing a UK degree and trying to get on a year abroad. I think UK and USA degrees are valued worldwide more than any other country. The amount of foreign students in each of these countries doing full degrees is huge. If for example your Chinese and you go back to China with a good degree from these countries you'd be well thought after by major employers. I did UK degree and Study Abroad year in Australia.
Hello,

The title says it all, is it important from where the degree is obtained, or the ranking of the university is all what matters?

I still didn't hear about people choosing something like, for example, Taiwan or Finland as their study destination, but let's say you got a chance to study in their #1 universities (which are ranked on world's top 100), would you prefer those universities to lower-ranked universities in somewhere like the US or Canada?

Hi there.

Personally, I don't think it matters where the degree is obtained, as long as it is considered a reputable institution in the country where you are studying.

Sure, it's possible that people don't know that it is a reputable university in the UK, but with some Internet research, I'm sure many employers will recognise it to some degree. Of course, like you have stated, universities in Taiwan or Thailand may not have any of their universities within the top 100, but nearby countries do (such as Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, China, Singapore).

Regardless of the ranking it has in the world, I believe it all comes down to the destination where you would like to study. You should narrow it down from there and choose accordingly. In the case of studying abroad, it is not all about the ranking, but also the culture and experience that you will gain out of your year abroad.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest