Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I just feel like my life is over Watch

Hi all, thanks for reading this long story, it is much appreciated

I am currently 19 years old and hoping to go to University this year, depending on whether I get the grades. I started college at 16, but hated the subjects I did, so I changed them to something new.

For the past two-three years, I have been stressed a lot and felt particularly depressed. I feel that it has affected my A level results, I think I'm only going to get BBB or ABB if I'm lucky. I've had numerous setbacks in the last few years, and I had to see a doctor about my anxiety, but he believed I didn't need anti-depressants, because I am too young.

Setbacks
    I was bullied throughout primary school, simply because people were jealous of who I was. It got me really down, so I changed school, got the top grades and met great people.
    Then high school came, first few years went smoothly, I could cope with people trying to insult me because it gave me a confidence boost and it made them look stupid, but it got to a point where I couldn't cope anymore eventually..
    For example somebody made a fake Facebook account of me, without me knowing because didn't use social media.
    In the end I got As and Bs, but probably could have got more As.
    Then college came, I found it very difficult to settle. Similar people went to college from my school, and somebody was jealous yet again because their ex-girlfriend liked me or something, some ridiculous reason, and I didn't care to be honest (I wasn't interested, I was just friends with her). So he tried to make my 'friends' turn against me, because they were friends with him too, and secretly did things like put up an image of me which tried to offend me across social media (technically cyber-bullying). Then I got paranoid, stressed, and it felt like everyone had a bad impression or thought I was strange who didn't know me that well. I'm quite a quiet person so not many knew me well.

So it deeply affected my grades, I just lost concentration and felt down a lot. It was embarrassing. I did so for a long time, and it was hard to overcome. So I tried to make myself happy as much as I could. I am sporty, and competed in two sports nationally, but were both cut short through a lot of bad luck and little money, the other cut short through a serious injury which I'm still waiting to be operated on.

The last year I tried to do anything to make me happy again, as my injury prevented me from doing almost no physical activity. I tried to be in a long distance relationship with someone who was interested and that I met on holiday for six months, who appeared to be a nice friend, and focus on my studies. However, the potential LDR failed 2 months before exams as she couldn't cope and never spoke again. Again, depression, anxiety, and stress came back and I had very little motivation. Bad memories from the past flooded in and I felt lonely, worthless, and at an end. The question in my head still remains, 'Why text/speak almost every day to someone who didn't want to be with you?'

So after all of this (sorry if it's long), I've tried to stop living in the past but it's very difficult. It feels like everyone is moving forward/growing up except me. I want to go to a Russell Group Uni but I am seriously panicking over my results until results day, i think I've got BBB minimum but offer is AAB/ABB

So, how do I bring up myself again? I hoped that the fresh restart in my 2nd year of college would have solved everything but it didn't. I keep feeling sorry for myself (I don't want to) and my parents are tired of my negative thoughts, but they can understand why. They have been fantastic to me throughout my childhood, I hope to reciprocate in the future by being rich

I'm wondering if I can take a gap year at 19 (soon 20) and resit a couple of exams? And what do you think I should do? I feel burnt out, but I don't really want to go Uni 2 years older than the rest.

Again, thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    Have you paid a visit to your GP about your suspected depression and anxiety? Specifically request to be referred to a psychologist. If s/he refused, you can ask at the front desk for an appointment with another GP; you don't have to tell them why.

You can also self-refer to a psychologist in some parts of the UK. Click here to find if this is available near you. I say this because a qualified psychologist will be able to help you overcome what you're experiencing.

Feel free to private message me if you'd like to chat. I'll do my best to help.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all, thanks for reading this long story, it is much appreciated

I am currently 19 years old and hoping to go to University this year, depending on whether I get the grades. I started college at 16, but hated the subjects I did, so I changed them to something new.

For the past two-three years, I have been stressed a lot and felt particularly depressed. I feel that it has affected my A level results, I think I'm only going to get BBB or ABB if I'm lucky. I've had numerous setbacks in the last few years, and I had to see a doctor about my anxiety, but he believed I didn't need anti-depressants, because I am too young.

Setbacks
    I was bullied throughout primary school, simply because people were jealous of who I was. It got me really down, so I changed school, got the top grades and met great people.
    Then high school came, first few years went smoothly, I could cope with people trying to insult me because it gave me a confidence boost and it made them look stupid, but it got to a point where I couldn't cope anymore eventually..
    For example somebody made a fake Facebook account of me, without me knowing because didn't use social media.
    In the end I got As and Bs, but probably could have got more As.
    Then college came, I found it very difficult to settle. Similar people went to college from my school, and somebody was jealous yet again because their ex-girlfriend liked me or something, some ridiculous reason, and I didn't care to be honest (I wasn't interested, I was just friends with her). So he tried to make my 'friends' turn against me, because they were friends with him too, and secretly did things like put up an image of me which tried to offend me across social media (technically cyber-bullying). Then I got paranoid, stressed, and it felt like everyone had a bad impression or thought I was strange who didn't know me that well. I'm quite a quiet person so not many knew me well.

So it deeply affected my grades, I just lost concentration and felt down a lot. It was embarrassing. I did so for a long time, and it was hard to overcome. So I tried to make myself happy as much as I could. I am sporty, and competed in two sports nationally, but were both cut short through a lot of bad luck and little money, the other cut short through a serious injury which I'm still waiting to be operated on.

The last year I tried to do anything to make me happy again, as my injury prevented me from doing almost no physical activity. I tried to be in a long distance relationship with someone who was interested and that I met on holiday for six months, who appeared to be a nice friend, and focus on my studies. However, the potential LDR failed 2 months before exams as she couldn't cope and never spoke again. Again, depression, anxiety, and stress came back and I had very little motivation. Bad memories from the past flooded in and I felt lonely, worthless, and at an end. The question in my head still remains, 'Why text/speak almost every day to someone who didn't want to be with you?'

So after all of this (sorry if it's long), I've tried to stop living in the past but it's very difficult. It feels like everyone is moving forward/growing up except me. I want to go to a Russell Group Uni but I am seriously panicking over my results until results day, i think I've got BBB minimum but offer is AAB/ABB

So, how do I bring up myself again? I hoped that the fresh restart in my 2nd year of college would have solved everything but it didn't. I keep feeling sorry for myself (I don't want to) and my parents are tired of my negative thoughts, but they can understand why. They have been fantastic to me throughout my childhood, I hope to reciprocate in the future by being rich

I'm wondering if I can take a gap year at 19 (soon 20) and resit a couple of exams? And what do you think I should do? I feel burnt out, but I don't really want to go Uni 2 years older than the rest.

Again, thanks for reading
    Hey, listen I'm 16, but so far that sounds like the story of my life. Talk to your gp about it (it could be anxiety/depression). If you want you can PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My advise for you is to focus on University. I'm familiar with what you're going through as I've been through it all with doctors, seeing them would benefit you major. But yeah, Trust when I say this, Focus on University. I know its been rough for you and stuff but you're obviously a smart kid, you get good grades etc so don't worry. Uni is really the biggest chance you'll have to start a fresh, You have a chance to reinvent yourself and really change stuff around. Here's your chance to really be more confident and more sociable. I would recommend keeping your options open too , don't just focus on going to one place, allow yourself to have more options , if you're worried about not getting your grades it would really help if you focused on going to other places too, as entry requirements may be less intense. Being older will really be irrelevant in Uni, you're an adult, being 2 years old than everyone will really hold no significance as people will be in the same boat as you, I'm 18 and a lot of my friends from college are around 20 + and they're just starting this September, but they're still excited and pumped up for everything, it's really a small thing and you shouldn't look into it , People complete degree's etc when they're 40, so if anything you're doing this whilst you're still young. If you ever need to talk or whatever just message me man

ReputationRep:
    Age 19 - feels like life is over

ok.

ReputationRep:
    I actually felt the same at 19 and I had it much worse than you and still my thoughts were utter rubbish. You're doing great, just keep going and get rid of those stupid, ridiculous thoughts!

(Original post by DannyYYYY)
    Have you paid a visit to your GP about your suspected depression and anxiety? Specifically request to be referred to a psychologist. If s/he refused, you can ask at the front desk for an appointment with another GP; you don't have to tell them why.

You can also self-refer to a psychologist in some parts of the UK. Click here to find if this is available near you. I say this because a qualified psychologist will be able to help you overcome what you're experiencing.

Feel free to private message me if you'd like to chat. I'll do my best to help.
    Thanks for your help

I hope I've got good enough grades for University, I think uni will be the perfect fresh start for my life. I think it's exactly what I need.
    However, I'm not sure whether to have a gap year and recharge my batteries.

(Original post by Andy98)
    Hey, listen I'm 16, but so far that sounds like the story of my life. Talk to your gp about it (it could be anxiety/depression). If you want you can PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

(Original post by HaarisHero)
    My advise for you is to focus on University. I'm familiar with what you're going through as I've been through it all with doctors, seeing them would benefit you major. But yeah, Trust when I say this, Focus on University. I know its been rough for you and stuff but you're obviously a smart kid, you get good grades etc so don't worry. Uni is really the biggest chance you'll have to start a fresh, You have a chance to reinvent yourself and really change stuff around. Here's your chance to really be more confident and more sociable. I would recommend keeping your options open too , don't just focus on going to one place, allow yourself to have more options , if you're worried about not getting your grades it would really help if you focused on going to other places too, as entry requirements may be less intense. Being older will really be irrelevant in Uni, you're an adult, being 2 years old than everyone will really hold no significance as people will be in the same boat as you, I'm 18 and a lot of my friends from college are around 20 + and they're just starting this September, but they're still excited and pumped up for everything, it's really a small thing and you shouldn't look into it , People complete degree's etc when they're 40, so if anything you're doing this whilst you're still young. If you ever need to talk or whatever just message me man
    thanks for your kind words.
    I hope I can overcome the problems, I really found it difficult this gear. My mind is battered and still is haha.
    I hope Uni is a fresh start

(Original post by morl92)
    Age 19 - feels like life is over

ok.
    (Original post by morl92)
    I actually felt the same at 19 and I had it much worse than you and still my thoughts were utter rubbish. You're doing great, just keep going and get rid of those stupid, ridiculous thoughts!
    It's a horrible feeling, when the world feels like it's on your shoulder sand pressure becomes too much.
    I'm taking a gap year probably to rest my brain and get a part time job, it has been very difficult
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by HaarisHero)
    I wish I had a doctor's note though, I've only seen a doctor about it. I feel that a gap year is better for me, and perhaps resit a few exams before heading off to uni.
    I feel a little unsure of going uni at 20-21 though,

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had a doctor's note though, I've only seen a doctor about it. I feel that a gap year is better for me, and perhaps resit a few exams before heading off to uni.
    I feel a little unsure of going uni at 20-21 though,
    do that then , if its best for you, and haha dude seriously don't worry, it's not a big deal, you're looking way too much into it, i have plenty of friends who are starting uni at 20 - 21 and they're not letting it hold them back, why should it? you're a adult now just like everyone else , honestly it makes no difference, if you where going to college maybe it would but you'll be fine , its uni , people go to uni when they're 30 odd and even older , it's a lot different in uni

ReputationRep:
    You seem nice to be honest.

In my A-Levels the first time I got ABBB. And I just wasn't happy, it wasn't my potential. So I went into the army for a few years. Now I'm out and went back to college in September. Now waiting to hear back from my cambridge winter pool interview and from my other unis for law. And I'm 22! So it is possible

Two years is literally nothing when it comes to mixing with people at uni. If you feel burnt out, you might need some time out. Why not go and work or do something you want to do for a while? You don't have to go to uni right now, and you might not be able to go to the uni that you're really able to achieve right now due to where you are mentally. Chill, take stock, sort yourself out. If you want a gap year take one. If you want two gap years take them. If you want four gap years (like me ) take them! Just make sure you're working or doing something productive with your time and really focus on your mental health
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thread is 2 and a half years old now so I've closed it

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.