Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Last 16. Fight Club v Forrest Gump Watch

• View Poll Results: Last 16
    Fight Club
    48.84%
    Forrest Gump
    51.16%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here). We have already taken the initial 64 films and got 8 group winners and 8 group runners up.

Now the battle for the overall title begins.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Fight Club (1999)
    Considered a flop on it's initial release due to incredibly poor marketing by 20th Century Fox, David Fincher's classic would have to wait several years to be appreciated as a success. Based on the book by Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club spoke for a generation that felt emasculated and without a place. Ed Norton and Brad Pitt give sensational performances as a duo that shrug off modern life to recreate their own brand of chaos in the world.

Forrest Gump (1994)
    Providing a snapshot of the previous decades of American life, Rob Zemeckis' Forrest Gump (starring Tom Hanks) became an instant classic, commanding both Oscars and high levels of box office revenue. While people have tried to attribute it's message as propaganda for movements across the political spectrum, it remains a very funny and irreverent look back over recent American history.

ReputationRep:
    Fight club

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Forrest Gump self-evidently, and Brad Pitt doesn't has never given a "sensational performance".

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Fight Club. Forrest Gump was so dull.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I don't get the Forrest Gump hype. Totally mediocre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    TSR clearly loves Forrest Gump. I don't get it either, but then I'm hardly your average TSR demographic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    This. It's alright but how it beat BTTF i don't know.

And i only watched fight club a few weeks ago but it was simply amazing.

Would watch again right now/10

ReputationRep:
    No idea how fight club is losing this thread!

Also the lack of votes in here is annoying me...

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with humanity if a person with weird legs, a bad haircut and an oblivious made up life story can beat a movie that questions ones own reality and life?!?!?

Fight club better pull a tyler durden and just be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Fight Club. Loved it on first viewing. Forrest Gump was just mhey.

ReputationRep:
    Fight Club looks like its making a very late comeback ... but too little too late?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canada eh)
    What is wrong with humanity if a person with weird legs, a bad haircut and an oblivious made up life story can beat a movie that questions ones own reality and life?!?!?
    I know exactly what you mean.

It's strange, but for some reason I've found Forrest Gump's consistent success in this competition rather depressing. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    I know exactly what you mean.

It's strange, but for some reason I've found Forrest Gump's consistent success in this competition rather depressing. :unimpressed:
    Forrest Gump hasn't really had a difficult run really. Back to the Future's been the only realistic chance to knock it out so far and it gave it a good shot.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm still baffled by how Forest Gump made it this far, I've not seen Fight Club, but I absolutely hated Forest Gump and could never finish it, so Fight Club as the least worst option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    Forrest Gump hasn't really had a difficult run really. Back to the Future's been the only realistic chance to knock it out so far and it gave it a good shot.
    That group was always a problem when we set up the competition, and I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't tweak the draw to put BTTF in the other half of the group. It soon became clear that there were only two films in that group with any 'weight', and they faced off too early.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey, suddenly down to one vote. C'mon Brad, you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    That group was always a problem when we set up the competition, and I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't tweak the draw to put BTTF in the other half of the group. It soon became clear that there were only two films in that group with any 'weight', and they faced off too early.
    If that's the way the seedings came out then it was meant to be :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    If that's the way the seedings came out then it was meant to be :console:
    Bah Humbug!

ReputationRep:

With great power comes great responsibility!

Also, Fg has a darn 2 vote lead again ffs...

ReputationRep:
    Back to one vote.
    It's bloody Back to the Future all over again, isn't it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.