Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Last 16. Pulp Fiction v The Lion King watch

• View Poll Results: Last 16
    Pulp Fiction
    48.48%
    The Lion King
    51.52%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here). We have already taken the initial 64 films and got 8 group winners and 8 group runners up.

Now the battle for the overall title begins.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Pulp Fiction (1994)
    In a year packed with quality releases (three of which appear in this competition), Pulp Fiction managed both commercial and critical acclaim, landing the Palme D'Or from Cannes. Quentin Tarantino's most celebrated film, it plays fast and loose with the narrative structure, is packed with self-referential humour and larger-than-life characters, and features some of the biggest actors of the time, including Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, John Travolta and Uma Thurman.

"The Lion King has that rare quality that is surely the sign of any great kid's film, in that it works for both a 5 year old and a 55 year old. A timeless story (literally; it's a loose update of Hamlet) this film is one of Disney's Holy Grails, passed down from generation to generation and loved by all who see it. Visually gorgeous, with its stunning vistas of the African wilderness, colourful characters and a strong script make this film a true modern classic."
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In a real fight between the two, there would be only one winner, and it wouldn't be the ^£&"*3^ "*&£^"^& lions...

ReputationRep:
    Pulp all day long. Lion King is my favourite animation but animation ranks pretty low on my preferred genres.

Edit: Just checked my excel sheet and I have the winner of this as The Godfather for some reason, it was meant to say Pulp Fiction, thought I;d say that before the poll finishes. If you can correct that it'd be cool, if not don;t worry, it was my mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Gone for The Lion King here simply because if I had both DVD's in front of me now that's what I'd watch.

ReputationRep:
    This competition is genuinely flawed if Lion King wins this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    The Lion King is a great film though. I mean it follows very closely the age old 'Hero's Journey' formula but executed almost flawlessly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Edit: Just checked my excel sheet and I have the winner of this as The Godfather for some reason, it was meant to say Pulp Fiction, thought I;d say that before the poll finishes. If you can correct that it'd be cool, if not don;t worry, it was my mistake.
    That will be because you had pulp beating godfather last round. This is the runner up of Crime against the winner of animation. Errors carry forward unfortunately.

The lion king is a classic film though and grossed almost a billion dollars at the box office as well as being nominated for many oscars/golden globes.

And it's spawned a successful musical as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    That will be because you had pulp beating godfather last round. This is the runner up of Crime against the winner of animation. Errors carry forward unfortunately.
    Nah I had The Godfather winning in the last round. I had this match up in my spreadsheet but had wrote down the winner as The Godfather even though it wasn't in the match up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Nah I had The Godfather winning in the last round. I had this match up in my spreadsheet but had wrote down the winner as The Godfather even though it wasn't in the match up

That's weird. The spreadsheet should have auto updated for you to put pulp in this one if you put it as runner up in the previous one.

ReputationRep:
    That's weird. The spreadsheet should have auto updated for you to put pulp in this one if you put it as runner up in the previous one.
    It did correctly update, nothing wrong with your spreadsheet.

It says Pulp v Lion King but for some reason I wrote in the winner as The Godfather

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    It did correctly update, nothing wrong with your spreadsheet.

It says Pulp v Lion King but for some reason I wrote in the winner as The Godfather

Ahh, I did that first round with something else. Accidentally pasted a previously answer over a new one instead of copying soemthing.

I'll check what the other scorers think. On one hand it's clear you meant pulp but also, why did you put godfather?

ReputationRep:
    The Lion King... very narrowly. Only 'cause that "guy on guy" scene made me feel quite ill :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I did that first round with something else. Accidentally pasted a previously answer over a new one instead of copying soemthing.

I'll check what the other scorers think. On one hand it's clear you meant pulp but also, why did you put godfather?
    I was copy and pasting answers across as well, I'm assuming that's where it went wrong, thinking I was pasting Pulp when it was the Godfather

ReputationRep:
    Whilst for me this is a no brainer, we can hardly call someone out who has:
    1. watched The Lion King, and
    2. loved The Lion King, and
    3. not watched Pulp Fiction (or Godfather or whatever)

In a sense voting for TLK over PF is arguably little different to voting for Shawshank over American Beauty or Cuckoo's Nest. It might offend our critical sensibilities, but it is perfectly understandable.

ReputationRep:
    am in slight disbelief that this is a draw atm. I have not voted yet so may well end up being the tie breaker vote and am undecided atm. I've watched both and loved both.

i did feel slightly disappointed at pulp since it was oversold to me as the greatest movie i'd ever see in my entire life whereas i rewatched Lion King last week and it was full of childhood nostalgia and great music and unforgettable characters.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The Lion King

ReputationRep:
    I've voted based purely on which one I would watch given the choice right now. Like both films but am more in a Lion King mood right now than a Pulp.

ReputationRep:
    am in slight disbelief that this is a draw atm. I have not voted yet so may well end up being the tie breaker vote and am undecided atm. I've watched both and loved both.

i did feel slightly disappointed at pulp since it was oversold to me as the greatest movie i'd ever see in my entire life whereas i rewatched Lion King last week and it was full of childhood nostalgia and great music and unforgettable characters.
    This one looks like being another squeaker.

I think there's a difference between those that saw Pulp Fiction fresh, or at least untainted by the weight of expectation, and those that only saw it only after being told that it was the greatest thing since the invention of the printing press.

Pulp Fiction is not the greatest film ever made. It is, however, a classic of its kind and IMO more deserving than some "circle of life" stuff with annoying side-kicks. But each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    Pulp Fiction and it's not even close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin jol)
    Pulp Fiction and it's not even close.
    Seems to have opened up a 4 vote lead out of nowhere!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.