Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Last 16. The Shining v The Dark Knight Watch

• View Poll Results: Last 16
    The Shining
    26.00%
    The Dark Knight
    74.00%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here). We have already taken the initial 64 films and got 8 group winners and 8 group runners up.

Now the battle for the overall title begins.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Shining (1980) Stanley Kubrick's uncompromising horror is a pitch-perfect recreation of a man's descent into madness. Jack Torrance agrees to take his family and look after an isolated hotel during it's close season, as he sees this as a perfect way to cut off distractions and allow him to finish his novel. However he soon falls into the clutches of cabin fever, unable to identify supernatural hallucinations from his own reality, and the film builds to an incredibly tense climax. Always a showman, Kubrick's own promotional trailer for this film sold it as a light-hearted family comedy.

The Dark Knight (2008)
    Chris Nolan's take on the caped crusader turned Batman into the protagonist of a gritty crime drama played for realism and atmosphere, with an unforgettable performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker. The result is a film that demands your attention.

ReputationRep:
    The dark knight

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Dark Knight :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    The Shining :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    On one hand i really enjoyed watching the shining. It was one of the only proper terrrifying films i've seen and a lot better than most other "scary" films whcih are just jumpy.

Dark Knight is one of the classics of our generation though i think, amazing performance from both Heath Ledger and Christian Bale and it's amazing popularity amongst students i can see it walking this battle easily even though it should be fairly close.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    People will be watching and analysing The Shining long after The Dark Knight has been forgotten.

ReputationRep:
    'you've always been the caretaker'

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly, I prefer The Dark Knight.

ReputationRep:
    The Shining, without a doubt. It's a masterpiece.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    The Shining, without a doubt. It's a masterpiece.

Why do you reckon it's so much better than TDK?

I liked both but marginally prefered TDK .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Why do you reckon it's so much better than TDK?

I liked both but marginally prefered TDK .
    Personal preference I guess. I really, really like TDK, but The Shining is in my top 5 films of all time. I just love it. I've watched it probably 50 times or more.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I love both movies and both Jack Nicholson's and Heath Ledger's performances were fantastic but I've always been a bigger fan of horror movies than superhero ones like Batman.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.