Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Last 16. Schindler's List v the Matrix Watch

• View Poll Results: Last 16
    Schindler's List
    40.91%
    The Matrix
    59.09%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here). We have already taken the initial 64 films and got 8 group winners and 8 group runners up.

Now the battle for the overall title begins.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Schindler's List (1993)
    Based on a true story, Steven Spielberg’s holocaust film stars Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler, the German businessman who set out to exploit cheap Jewish labour in Poland and ended up putting everything on the line to save 1100 Jews from the gas chambers at Auschwitz. Shot in black and white with iconic splashes of red, Spielberg’s film is both an emotionally draining depiction of the horrors of the Holocaust and an uplifting recognition of the existence of human kindness even in the darkest of times.

The Matrix (1999)
    Coming at the turn of the 21st century when everyone was concerned with the age of technology, Matrix's subject matter of a human race enslaved by machines and put into a dream world representing our own seemed oddly topical. Combining the Wachowski brothers' penchant for tightly choreographed acrobatic fights and a strong narrative, this dystopian high-tech action thriller grips you from start to finish.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Schindler's list is a truly outstanding historical drama, The Matrix kickstarted a genre and made technology cool. I went for the latter.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody please explain how The Matrix is winning...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Can somebody please explain how The Matrix is winning...
    It's the better film.

Edit: Let me elaborate. My problem with Schindler's list is pretty well summed up by Stanley Kubrick:

'the problem with 'Schindler's List' is that Steven made a film about success, [but] the holocaust is about failure' The story focuses on a man who saved 600 lives, not the 6 million that were lost.

I think 'The Pianist' deals with the same subject matter in a more nuanced way.

ReputationRep:
    Schindlers List, a great Classic film.

Matrix, an iconis film that i would happily go watch again right now. An exciting film that everyone knows and everyone recognises.

ReputationRep:
    Schindler's definitely for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phish food)
    Schindler's definitely for me

Why do you think schindlers over matrix?

It's losing by 3 votes atm...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen Schindlers List.

I loved the first Matrix movie but I hated the last 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    I've chosen Schindlers List.

I loved the first Matrix movie but I hated the last 2.
    Actually I thought Reloaded was OK, inevitably a disappointment compared to The Matrix but still far superior to the very poor Revolutions, but I guess we should be judging The Matrix as a standalone movie anyway.

It would be like downgrading The Empire Strikes Back because of Attack of the Clones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zappaisgod)
    It's the better film.

Edit: Let me elaborate. My problem with Schindler's list is pretty well summed up by Stanley Kubrick:

'the problem with 'Schindler's List' is that Steven made a film about success, [but] the holocaust is about failure' The story focuses on a man who saved 600 lives, not the 6 million that were lost.

That's an interesting quote. I've never ended up thinking of it as a success story after a viewing.

The Pianist is definitely the better film though. Don't think I've seen another Holocaust movie that reaches its level.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zappaisgod)
    It's the better film.

Whether the holocaust is a story or failure or not depends on how you look at it. And whether the story of Schindler is truly a success or not could also be brought into question, it's still a story of failure. I prefer not to think of it as a story of success, more the story of a small light shining in the darkness.
    And The Matrix never really clicked for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.