Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Last 16. Saving Private Ryan v LOTR: ROTK Watch

• View Poll Results: Last 16
    Saving Private Ryan
    27.50%
    Lord of the Ring: Return of the King
    72.50%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more,click here). We have already taken the initial 64 films and got 8 group winners and 8 group runners up.

Now the battle for the overall title begins.

Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    Steven Spielberg's greatest talent has always been to generate tales of human interest no matter what the setting, and nowhere is that more apparent than in Saving Private Ryan. Set against a backdrop of high-action scenes as the Allies storm Nazi-occupied France in WWII, the film pursues a small team of men fighting to reach and evacuate one solider after his other three brothers have been killed.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    The closing installment of J.R.R. Tolkien's epic saga, this film gives the resolution to one of cinema's most celebrated trilogies. Featuring battles breathtaking in their scope, fantastical creatures brought to life and the end of Frodo's journey to Mordor, Peter Jackson's adaptation lives up to the legacy of the novels.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It tears me apart to vote against my beloved LoTR, but Saving Private Ryan is just truly a masterpiece (that beach invasion scene).

Besides, the Frodo/Sam thing is incredibly annoying, and the last 30 mins of the movie is absolutely dire.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's a pity the invasion scene is - visually - based on Capa's damaged film, rather than what it would have been like to have been there.

I still remember the groans in the audience when yet another 'ending' happened in RotK.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the rings is on a whole different level from saving private ryan, LOTR is an epic masterpiece

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Am not a giant LOTR fan.

Voted SPR as a protest vote really.

ReputationRep:
    LOTR is kicking SPR's ass despite my protest vote!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    LOTR is kicking SPR's ass despite my protest vote!
    To be fair ... LOTR: ROTK should be kicking SPR's ass. A stunning 3.5 hours cinematic achievement v a stunning 20 odd minutes cinematic achievement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    I still remember the groans in the audience when yet another 'ending' happened in RotK.
    There's absolutely no doubt that the multiple endings are an indulgence, but my experience was that the audience were happy to cut Jackson a bit of slack and, if anything, found it slightly amusing. I saw it three times in the cinema and do not recall any groans, but maybe the odd giggle. The first showing saw a rare standing ovation.

The illustrations during the end credits of ROTK are also absolutely beautiful, and worth an extra ending or two.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.