Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just curious about people's opinions, really, and not trying to start an argument.
    I studied Waiting for Godot (Beckett) for Eng Lit. AS last year, and I adored every minute of it - it ws probably the most fulfilling and enjoyable play I've ever had to write essays on.
    But I know that a lot of people loathe are/are totally unaffected by it.
    What think ye?

ReputationRep:
    I read it when I studied the Theatre of the Absurd, and I loved it. It really has a really interesting message, as well as being quite entertaining.

In the same vein, has anyone read Happy Days? It's even more bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSoySauce)
    I read it when I studied the Theatre of the Absurd, and I loved it. It really has a really interesting message, as well as being quite entertaining.

In the same vein, has anyone read Happy Days? It's even more bizarre.
    I haven't but I'd love to.

ReputationRep:
    Endgame - ok once, boring any more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Endgame - ok once, boring any more than that.
    I find with things like Endgame and WFG, they only get properly fascinating when you've read/seen them many, many times.
    Surely someone else on this board has read or seen it....?

ReputationRep:
    Guess not...uncultured philistines....

ReputationRep:
    Guess not...uncultured philistines....
    And there I was, thinking that maybe there could be a thread on the academic subforum that wasn't about maths or science.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to discuss it, here goes:

I thought it worked well, especially looking at the time it was written. The values and institutions of the previous centuries were looking quite hollow, and Beckett is trying to show that belief in external forces is not worthwhile, because they have no ultimate value, and cannot give meaning to lives that have none.

On the other hand, I can see why people don't like it: 'not much happens', 'it doesn't make sense', 'what's the point?', etc....But this is a problem with a lot of plays. You have to think about them, and people aren't willing to do that.

(Original post by suspicious_fish)
    And there I was, thinking that maybe there could be a thread on the academic subforum that wasn't about maths or science.
    It is quite an unfortunate state of affairs. I protest. Vigourously. There should be a Society for the Protection and Advocacy of Non-Technological Threads.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to discuss it, here goes:

I thought it worked well, especially looking at the time it was written. The values and institutions of the previous centuries were looking quite hollow, and Beckett is trying to show that belief in external forces is not worthwhile, because they have no ultimate value, and cannot give meaning to lives that have none.
    Yeah, pretty miserable stuff, eh? I lapped it up, though!

On the other hand, I can see why people don't like it: 'not much happens', 'it doesn't make sense', 'what's the point?', etc....But this is a problem with a lot of plays. You have to think about them, and people aren't willing to do that.
    Very true. When people say it's boring and pointless, I feel like saying to them, "Try thinking about it a little. What's Beckett saying with this?"

[quote =DrSoySauce]It is quite an unfortunate state of affairs. I protest. Vigourously. There should be a Society for the Protection and Advocacy of Non-Technological Threads.[/QUOTE]
    Fancy forming it with me?

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.