Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Career Change Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi All, New to all of this so please be patient if I have posted wrongly or in the wrong place.I have had a wee browse through the forum and few topics have been of great significance to myself. I wanted to ask though, if anyone here is currently going through a complete career change and studying medicine??I have dreamt of a career in medicine for years (I am 27) but various things prevented me from study - some of which, although I don't regret those but now regret not powering ahead anyway or doing it sooner. Are there many in the same position as me, or older age group considering or making a career change? I would love to hear any stories or good tips anyone hasI have my name on a waiting list at Stow (formally) College, I believe it's now called Glasgow Kelvin. I am hoping that the access course will then give me the stepping stone I need to then apply to medical school. From what I read though, not a lot of universities accept you on just this so will either need to move closer to one that would or have a major commute - more than willing to do this. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catty1303)
    Hi All, New to all of this so please be patient if I have posted wrongly or in the wrong place.I have had a wee browse through the forum and few topics have been of great significance to myself. I wanted to ask though, if anyone here is currently going through a complete career change and studying medicine??I have dreamt of a career in medicine for years (I am 27) but various things prevented me from study - some of which, although I don't regret those but now regret not powering ahead anyway or doing it sooner. Are there many in the same position as me, or older age group considering or making a career change? I would love to hear any stories or good tips anyone hasI have my name on a waiting list at Stow (formally) College, I believe it's now called Glasgow Kelvin. I am hoping that the access course will then give me the stepping stone I need to then apply to medical school. From what I read though, not a lot of universities accept you on just this so will either need to move closer to one that would or have a major commute - more than willing to do this. Thanks in advance.
    Hi -
    Same here im 25 - left school at 17 worked for the NHS ever since - going back to college to do a Access to Health Science with Glasgoe Kelvin College at their Sprinburn Campus , hoping this will progress me onto a Degree course in Human Nutrition and Dietetics - im nervous but excited for the change, interview was easy and they offered me a place on the day, not many questions asked. They do offer a bursary aswell to help with finances and up to 30 pound a week in travel ( i live quite far away so hope i get this ) i can't really offer you much advice other than i have spoken to Glasgow Caledonian and Queen Margaret in Edinburgh and they both will accept access courses. I havent received my timetable yet so can't advise on how the days are structured but i do know its 18 hours over four days if that helps - so i'm not much help i'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    Wow, yes this has been a great help. Just to know that some will accept it is a good start.I have been going through the internet over the weekend to find different areas I could volunteer in to firm up any application. 18 hours isn't as much as I anticipated, I was expecting 20 plus hours per week, suppose this just gives you extra study time then.Are you still going to be working in and around your timetable? Thanks this has ben a great help, good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catty1303)
    Wow, yes this has been a great help. Just to know that some will accept it is a good start.I have been going through the internet over the weekend to find different areas I could volunteer in to firm up any application. 18 hours isn't as much as I anticipated, I was expecting 20 plus hours per week, suppose this just gives you extra study time then.Are you still going to be working in and around your timetable? Thanks this has ben a great help, good luck with your studies!
    I think the fact i was with the NHS helped mine but that's just a guess, i think the NHS do accept volunteers aswell but don't quote me on that. 18 hours is classed as full time and they suggest 10 - 15 hours outside of this as at home study with one day off . Yes i will be working one 10 hour day 7-5 in my current post as my boss has kindly let me drop my hours , i couldn't afford not to work !!
    Ok.... so a bit of info on the course ( again sorry if this is a bit patchy as i don't know much myself - kinda feel like this is like the blind leading the bling lol)
    I was told there are 10 places on the course, i know not many !! I originally applied for the Access to Dietetics but it was full so they offered me a place on the Access to Health Sciences, this is when i started to ring round the uni's to see if they would take this course, they said yes, so i accepted the course. So i would have a back up course in mind if you don't get onto the Access to Nursing, i know that people who have completed the Access to Health Sciences have gone on to do their Nursing degree from this course.Also some people have gone on to study pharmacy at Uni from doing the access to Dietetics ( weird ) but i think aslong the course covers the basics like chemistry biology it's ok .
    Phew that was alot - sorry to put all that on you at once - it;s may all just be nonsense to you - if so i'm sure someone on here can help
    Best of Luck

ReputationRep:
    You have been a great help, thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.