Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering applying for accommodation at the University Halls. They told me from the student accommodation office that there are available rooms in the Andrew Ure Hall and the Patrick Thomas Court.

I was wondering what the internet connection is like in those Halls. I would appreciate some specific information (e.g. speed, wireless/ethernet, blocked sites etc).

Also, in the official site they mention that the residents are the ones who arrange payments and use for gas and electricity. Can someone give some more details? How much do they usually pay per month? What kind of arrangements are the residents supposed to make? I suppose that those are extra bills from the £86.00 p/w they mention in the site.

I would appreciate any information!!!

ReputationRep:
    The internet is not the best, you can't download copyright content. And you'll pay gas/electricity like 10 a month I'm guessing

ReputationRep:
    Does Skype work on halls internet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EbrahimSa)
    The internet is not the best, you can't download copyright content. And you'll pay gas/electricity like 10 a month I'm guessing
    When you say it's not the best what do you mean? I've heard about restrictions in the content you can download but what about speed?
    Also, I asked the university about the gas/electricity and they told me that it's about £10 to £15 per week per student. Quite expensive I think...Plus there are meters in each of the flats that students top up the credit for...

For anyone else that might be interested, they also told me that the shared areas have wifi, there are cable points in the bedrooms, the usage is unlimited and the cost is included in the rent...

(Original post by cheekymonkey101)
    Does Skype work on halls internet?
    I suppose it works. The only restricted ones are probably the copyright content and/or sites with explicit content...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apostolis88)
    When you say it's not the best what do you mean? I've heard about restrictions in the content you can download but what about speed?
    Also, I asked the university about the gas/electricity and they told me that it's about £10 to £15 per week per student. Quite expensive I think...Plus there are meters in each of the flats that students top up the credit for...

For anyone else that might be interested, they also told me that the shared areas have wifi, there are cable points in the bedrooms, the usage is unlimited and the cost is included in the rent...

I suppose it works. The only restricted ones are probably the copyright content and/or sites with explicit content...
    I'm not sure about the speed but it's pretty ****... Join "Strathclyde Freshers 2014" on facebook, we have 1000 people discussing all this

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.