The Student Room Group

Phlebotomy Certification?

I really want to work as a HCA in a GP clinic kind of setting. I have never worked as a HCA before but I am finding it difficult to find positions that don't specify that they want HCA who are already experienced in phlebotomy (drawing blood).

Are there any trusted training organization's that offer certification in phlebotomy for people who aren't already working in a healthcare profession?

phlebotomytraining.co.uk look ok, but there certificates are not a "certificate of competency" so you can't practice venepuncture with it but would it still be worth doing to get your foot in the door do you think?

Thank you!
Original post by Moonbrains
I really want to work as a HCA in a GP clinic kind of setting. I have never worked as a HCA before but I am finding it difficult to find positions that don't specify that they want HCA who are already experienced in phlebotomy (drawing blood).

Are there any trusted training organization's that offer certification in phlebotomy for people who aren't already working in a healthcare profession?

phlebotomytraining.co.uk look ok, but there certificates are not a "certificate of competency" so you can't practice venepuncture with it but would it still be worth doing to get your foot in the door do you think?

Thank you!

Hey! I'm looking to become a phlebotomist and came across this thread. I just wondered, how did you go about getting your certification in the end?

Reply 2
My friend went on a 2 day phlebotomy course a few months ago through Geopace.
I was considering doing it too, but after she came back and reviewed it i decided against it!
She said it was £300 for the 2 days but that didn't include any lunch- just tea and coffee provided by the hotel.
The instructor was nice, but didn't give much away- just said his first name and that he was a nurse and phlebotomist. 95% of the course was theory and you only got 5-6 practices on fake veins and a fake arm over the 2 days.
She was really disappointed at the minimalist quantity of course notes that they got for the money, and she wasn't convinced that the instructor was a nurse at all, purely due to the fact that several of the class were ex-nurses, and when they asked basic anatomy and physiology questions that any nurse would know, the guy didn't have a clue!
As well as using re-usable material tourniquets, which are frowned upon in the healthcare setting as being a major source of acquired healthcare infections, and a very misleading course at times because some of the class seemed to be under the impression that this course was their ticket to getting a phlebotomy job, where in fact, you would need to find a phlebotomist who you could shadow and get the required experience, before you could call yourself a phlebotomist!
She said it was not worth the money for a level 3 certificate from the Open College and would rather have spent her money on a university recognised module!
Original post by überambitious_ox
Hey! I'm looking to become a phlebotomist and came across this thread. I just wondered, how did you go about getting your certification in the end?

Phlebotomy certification is very important to start a career in it, however, it is beneficial in that case, when it is certified that means it can be accepted every where. phlebotomyresourse.com is giving opportunities to many students to certified in this field and have a new experience. there are some extra benefits who are already working in the same field. to know more about it visit us today..
Reply 4
Dont use Geopace.net they stole my fees £342
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending