Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you changed your online habits in light of the Snowden revelations last year? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you changed your habits?
    Yes
    14.81%
    No
    85.19%

ReputationRep:
    It's been just over a year and I want to know if anyone has changed their habits.

I've personally started using a VPN for anything I need to ensure security on (banking, etc) and being a lot more careful what I say -- call it paranoid but eh. I've started looking seriously into moving to completely Free, Open Source Software (FOSS) for my daily computing and have already started using more FOS software.

Does anyone else even care about this, or is it something TSR users think about?

ReputationRep:
    Meh, don't really have much to hide. Minus my incognito mode history

ReputationRep:
    I would say the only habit i have changed in the last few years is the use of a VPN while downloading torrents which some companies may view as infringing on their copyright. That didn't really have anything to do with Snowden though, more that stories of people being prosecuted caused me a bit of worry (although the chances of you actually getting prosecuted are still lower than the chance you have of winning the lottery). More people are definitely using VPNs than 5 years ago however this is causing a few problems mainly because the people using them don't know a great deal about how they work, there have been quite a few allegations flying around that VPN providers are logging more activity than they claim to be especially those that allow you to connect through a non-EU based node such as China or Russia.

Honestly though if you are worried about the NSA or other similar organizations spying on you I really wouldn’t bother, unless you are plotting to assassinate the president or build a secret Nazi moon base they really aren't interested. Using open source stuff is great and is certainly something that should be encouraged because even putting aside the privacy element you are helping a community based project which in many cases thousands of people have built in their spare time with no financial gain to grow and expand to more people however a lot of open source software has gaping security flaws when compared to their privately owned counterparts so if you are using any open source software (or even privately owned software) always keep that in mind especially when passing sensitive data.

But in general security is becoming a much bigger talking point since Snowden so I think people are becoming more aware and informed about how online activities and use of certain pieces of software can be dangerous and that's great because by learning more about the security side of networks people are obviously becoming more and more aware of how computers and networks function generally and considering what a vital part of life computers are now that can only be a positive thing.

ReputationRep:
    I will use Tor if I think my IP may be tracked with malicious intent. Otherwise no. It is too slow for everyday use and Tor won't run Java for security reasons so it can be quite a bother to use for clearnet stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubz1)
    Meh, don't really have much to hide. Minus my incognito mode history
    So, you;d be fine with the government putting a camera in your house? You've nothing to hide, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I encrypt my files and block my webcam, I did know most of what snowden already said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subject_delta)
    So, you;d be fine with the government putting a camera in your house? You've nothing to hide, after all.
    Wouldn't be happy but not really bothered. I don't really get up to much.

I'm ever so slightly worried that there's blackmailing occurring with the spying case however.

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing that bothers me personally, I have nothing to hide and as my political beliefs are very much in the early stages of formation, I highly doubt anything I'd say would be taken any further than 'typical female 18-25 civilian' category. If I'm honest, I'm aware of what the government can access of my records, but I had no idea what to do about them.

ReputationRep:
    I have no clue about any of this stuff. I'm not paranoid enough, I need to start being more sensible online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    I would say the only habit i have changed in the last few years is the use of a VPN while downloading torrents which some companies may view as infringing on their copyright. That didn't really have anything to do with Snowden though, more that stories of people being prosecuted caused me a bit of worry (although the chances of you actually getting prosecuted are still lower than the chance you have of winning the lottery). More people are definitely using VPNs than 5 years ago however this is causing a few problems mainly because the people using them don't know a great deal about how they work, there have been quite a few allegations flying around that VPN providers are logging more activity than they claim to be especially those that allow you to connect through a non-EU based node such as China or Russia.

Honestly though if you are worried about the NSA or other similar organizations spying on you I really wouldn’t bother, unless you are plotting to assassinate the president or build a secret Nazi moon base they really aren't interested. Using open source stuff is great and is certainly something that should be encouraged because even putting aside the privacy element you are helping a community based project which in many cases thousands of people have built in their spare time with no financial gain to grow and expand to more people however a lot of open source software has gaping security flaws when compared to their privately owned counterparts so if you are using any open source software (or even privately owned software) always keep that in mind especially when passing sensitive data.

But in general security is becoming a much bigger talking point since Snowden so I think people are becoming more aware and informed about how online activities and use of certain pieces of software can be dangerous and that's great because by learning more about the security side of networks people are obviously becoming more and more aware of how computers and networks function generally and considering what a vital part of life computers are now that can only be a positive thing.
    What VPN do you use.

Also good post

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing to hide and I don't live in some sort of evil totalitarian regime as much as people like to draw parallels with 1984 constantly, it just is not the case.

So in answer to your question, no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    I have nothing to hide and I don't live in some sort of evil totalitarian regime as much as people like to draw parallels with 1984 constantly, it just is not the case.

So in answer to your question, no
    You're right; we don't live in an Orwellian regime. We live in a Huxleyan one -- where our base desires are satisfied to keep us in a state of apathy. The Romans called it "Bread and Circuses".

ReputationRep:
    You're right; we don't live in an Orwellian regime. We live in a Huxleyan one -- where our base desires are satisfied to keep us in a state of apathy. The Romans called it "Bread and Circuses".
    Had that in Orwellian 1984 too. Try harder.

ReputationRep:
    Had that in Orwellian 1984 too. Try harder.
    Difference between Orwell and Huxley is that the people were kept happy in BNW. In 1984 they were told they WERE happy.

ReputationRep:
    Difference between Orwell and Huxley is that the people were kept happy in BNW. In 1984 they were told they WERE happy.
    OK great. Congratulations you've just proved we live in a fascist dictatorship yaaaaay!

ReputationRep:
    OK great. Congratulations you've just proved we live in a fascist dictatorship yaaaaay!
    That's totally what I did. Yep.

ReputationRep:
    It's been just over a year and I want to know if anyone has changed their habits.

I've personally started using a VPN for anything I need to ensure security on (banking, etc) and being a lot more careful what I say -- call it paranoid but eh. I've started looking seriously into moving to completely Free, Open Source Software (FOSS) for my daily computing and have already started using more FOS software.

Does anyone else even care about this, or is it something TSR users think about?
    No. Nothing to hide. I'd much prefer a record is kept of all internet activity than someone I know is hurt by something that could be stopped by spying.

Using a VPN for online banking in case the NSA is spying on you seems overly paranoid. Why would a spy want to take money from your bank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Using a VPN for online banking in case the NSA is spying on you seems overly paranoid. Why would a spy want to take money from your bank?
    No; I think you misunderstand. The NSA and other lettered agencies have shown how easy it is to intercept data. A VPN helps stop that. It also stops Uni logging what I do.

ReputationRep:
    I use a web search called DuckDuckGo instead of Google!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    What VPN do you use.

Also good post
    I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/, in my opinion it is by far the best commercial VPN available today for under $10 a month. They have gone to a lot of effort to ensure that there is minimal speed cost when connected and have a variety of extra features which you can make use of. The biggest criticism i have of it is that it isn’t very user friendly, the UI is very simplistic and although installing and using the client is not a difficult task if you want to play around and tweak the VPN for whatever reason you are pretty much on your own.

Just in case the above breaches TSR rules on advertising (or if you are interested in some other candidates) here is a good run down of the better commercial VPNs available today.
    http://uk.pcmag.com/software/feature...uld-know-about

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.