Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I would like to study abroad, i'm half German and currently studying it at A-level alongside maths, further maths and economics (in the UK).
    I have family in Germany, and like the idea of studying there (and paying no/little tuition fees) however I am struggling to find an appropriate course.
    I want to work towards a career in finance/accounting, and therefore want to study something in the field of maths/finance, and would prefer it taught in English as my German is not good enough for degree level.
    Many English taught courses in Germany carry tuition fees, as a result I am also considering studying in The Netherlands as there are many English taught courses there free of charge.

Does anyone have any tips as to where to study, what to study and if I would be eligible for any scholarships/grants in Germany as I'm half German?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Try contacting DAAD either phone or email them xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are no so many English taught undergrad courses in the Netherlands. Have you found one that suits your needs?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_schoenborn)
    Hello,
    I would like to study abroad, i'm half German and currently studying it at A-level alongside maths, further maths and economics (in the UK).
    I have family in Germany, and like the idea of studying there (and paying no/little tuition fees) however I am struggling to find an appropriate course.
    I want to work towards a career in finance/accounting, and therefore want to study something in the field of maths/finance, and would prefer it taught in English as my German is not good enough for degree level.
    Many English taught courses in Germany carry tuition fees, as a result I am also considering studying in The Netherlands as there are many English taught courses there free of charge.

Does anyone have any tips as to where to study, what to study and if I would be eligible for any scholarships/grants in Germany as I'm half German?
    Thanks in advance
    If your German is good enough now, you may be eligible for a DAAD funded language course. Alternatively, the Uni I'm at for my Erasmus year has winter and summer semester courses with language tuition, a couple of hours a day for 4 weeks. I found studying here very manageable with A-level German, although admittedly I am not sure I would have done so well without the understanding of professors that I'm not just an international student, but an Erasmus one.

Alternatively you could try living in Germany for a few months to improve your language skills? Stay with your family for a bit and you'll be surprised how quickly you pick stuff up!

Unfortunately, I don't think you'd be entitled to funding on the basis of your nationality alone. I think you would need to have been resident in Germany for a while (but may be wrong) and would definitely need to pass means-testing - from what I've seen, funding is pretty rare here because parents have a culture of helping out, students tend to stay local, and living costs are a bit lower (as well as students being more willing/able to find part-time work).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.