Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read about scammy landlords taking advantage of students, how do you avoid not getting ripped off and not having a d1ckhead for a landlord?

ReputationRep:
    I found this website which may help you:

http://iecp.psu.edu/docs/SmartRenter.pdf

Also make sure you've seen the accommodation before you've moved in there, if there are people still living there take the opportunity to ask them about their landlords. Don't be afraid to ask them outright what/if they've had any problems with their landlord. Research the landlord or agency they let through online first to find out what some people say. I wish I'd done that with mine first otherwise I could have saved myself alot of trouble! Also read the fine print of your contract for any extra charges they throw in.

Then when you move in video/photograph the accommodation before you move all your stuff is in there. If you notice any existing damages or marks photograph them carefully. Then email them to your landlord on the same day, this way there's a dated record and if they try to claim money off you afterwards for it then you can refer back to that. Which leads onto always have written communication! Ask for everything in writing and keep all receipts you are give. If you have a conversation where they say they won't charge you for something etc then send an email asking for them to confirm it. Then when your contract is over you'll have written proof of everything. Remember a landlord may seem nice in person, but when your contract is over your deposit looks like a nice shiny pile of free money to them.

ReputationRep:
    I would go through an agency. That way it will be professional and you are a lot less likely to have problems getting your deposit back.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.