The Student Room Group

Psychology at university advice

Hi, I'm looking to be studying Psychology in University but I have a few queries about it and would appreciate any advice from people who are/have studied it in University.

Firstly, I'm concerned about the fact that I haven't studied it at A-Level so would that put me in a deficit to the rest of the people? I studied: English Literature, Sociology and Media Studies btw.

Secondly, how science based is the subject? I didn't take any pure science based A-level subjects & don't have that much of an interest in that so how science heavy is it?

Thirdly, how was the subject overall for you.. did it meet your expectations or exceed them or were you abit rose tinted and was disappointed?

Also, if you have any informative (but not too dire) books I should read to get me into Psychology more that would be much much appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by IneedHelpPlz
Hi, I'm looking to be studying Psychology in University but I have a few queries about it and would appreciate any advice from people who are/have studied it in University.

Firstly, I'm concerned about the fact that I haven't studied it at A-Level so would that put me in a deficit to the rest of the people? I studied: English Literature, Sociology and Media Studies btw.

Secondly, how science based is the subject? I didn't take any pure science based A-level subjects & don't have that much of an interest in that so how science heavy is it?

Thirdly, how was the subject overall for you.. did it meet your expectations or exceed them or were you abit rose tinted and was disappointed?

Also, if you have any informative (but not too dire) books I should read to get me into Psychology more that would be much much appreciated. Thanks.

I think you'll be fine without having studied it at a level, i know people who didn't who are doing well now. The first term will probably be used or at least the first few weeks, to make sure everyone is up to the same point before they start teaching actual content.

I found that for me anyway, it wasn't that sciencey overall, but I did have a module this year on biological psychology which was very sciencey. There is also a large emphasis on statistics, however i do believe this varies between uni's. However those who I know that didn't do a science a level managed to follow the lectures etc and do just as well in the exams, it might just mean you have to do a little bit more work outside of lectures if it's something you struggle with.

I've just finished my first year but i really enjoyed it. I did find it was more work than i was expecting and it's a lot more work to do yourself than at college where it was all given to you to do specifically. I found i spent the first 4/5 weeks acting in a similar way to a level, then the workload increased a lot and I had to change the way i did things to fit everything in and i had to start doing a lot more work myself, though i think this is something that a lot of people struggled with between moving to uni from college.

I hope that helped in some way, sorry if i rambled on too much haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest