Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone my vw polo 2003 1.4 is jolting forwards and backwards both in idol and driving. There is also very lack of power when pulling away, it is practically undrivable at the moment.

No warning lights or symbols are letting me know or giving me an indication as to what the problem is.

I opened the bonnet and the engine is shaking about more than it should. I had the look at the cylinders and books and nothing looks worn please help

ReputationRep:
    Does it sound like it is misfiring? Like completely offbeat?

Take it to a garage, you probably have a failed coil pack.

i'm assuming it is a petrol.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say coil pack too. My Polo (2004) started shuddering a lot when parked up with the engine on, and it would often stall even when my foot was flat on the clutch. Then one day it suddenly jumped forward on a dual carriageway, as if I'd switched into first (I hadn't) and I had to just put it into neutral and coast to a stop on the side of the road to keep control. The emissions control light (http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/w...s-control-lamp) came on and I found that it was very down on power too. I took it to the garage and they told me that one of the cylinders was misfiring.

Because I'm on a really tight budget, their first solution was to switch the coil packs around in order to try and work out which coil pack was not working properly (so if I get another misfire on another cylinder, they'll know it's that coil pack). They did it as part of a normal service I think, and it seemed to fix the issue for moment (although it's starting to misbehave again now).

I'd just take it to a garage and have them take a look.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.