Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Barcelona - What to see? What to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The boyfriend and I are going on a 3 day city break to Barcelona in a few weeks and since neither of us have been there before I was wondering if anybody here could recommend things to do or see?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManicPumpkin)
    The boyfriend and I are going on a 3 day city break to Barcelona in a few weeks and since neither of us have been there before I was wondering if anybody here could recommend things to do or see?
    I was there with a friend in mid-April! We stayed for about 5 days and didn't want to return home - we loved it there! Neither of us had been there before either. Our activites were quite limited though - it rained most of the time, there were some holidays going on so most places had been closed for the time being, etc. So we mainly shopped, explored, bought food, and did what little sightseeing we could. We're 17 so we didn't go to any bars or clubs, but if you intend to, there are a variety of places for that!

La Sagrada Familia - amazing-looking church
    Maremagum Mall - shopping centre, tourist-friendly
    Beach
    La Rambla - tourist-friendly street
    La Boqueria Market - food market in La Rambla
    Museums
    Magic Fountain of Montjuic
    Sightseeing buses

A longer, more detailed response:

Spoiler:
    Show
    One of the most memorable sights we saw was La Sagrada Familia - which is an amazing-looking church. Definitely a must-see, and try going to see it at night if you'd want a cooler, more gothic view of it. We went around six or seven in the evening while it was still light out, but I can imagine how nice it'd be at night!

Maremagnum Mall - shopping centre. It has a rather large McDonalds, but it's good since a lot of people go there anyway. The mall is really nice, we went there quite often since it was pretty much the only place open while other places weren't. The Mall is next to a sea, and to get to the Mall you have to walk over this bridge where boats sometimes pass through. There are seagulls there too and they were also really large haha. Near the mall, there were people selling things on the ground like jewelry, sunglasses, etc (I bought a pair of round, black sunglasses à la Ozzy Osbourne and John Lennon - couldn't find them anywhere where I live, so it was a great find for me), and also food stands selling hotdogs, ice cream, popcorn, etc. There was a little market nearby, as well, where we bought some band posters and necklaces. You'll find all sorts of things!

I think there was a beach not too far from Maremagnum.. can't remember, but you can easily look that up if you want to find a beach near where you'll be.

La Rambla is a street we often went to before we started exploring other areas of the city (the streets are quite different in Barcelona, but if we got to La Rambla, we could pretty much find other places and streets). A lot of tourists come here, so you'll find all sorts of shops and restaurants from this area. One thing we liked about the restaurant employees was how they stood outside the restaurant and told you what they were offering/held out menus (at the time we were looking for a place to try paellas at a reasonable price so it was very convenient). There are those tourist stands and shops in that area as well, where you'll find little cheap things if you want to buy gifts (bracelets, anklets, keychains, dreamcatchers, knick-knacks, tshirts etc).

Quite sure there was a museum somewhere around La Rambla, but it happened to be closed on the day we wanted to go

You'll find La Boqueria Market on La Rambla - it's a food market if you ever wanna check it out. It's hard getting by since there's usually a lot of people, but there's people everywhere all the time so ;P they sell fruit cups if you'd like to have a random mission while in there.

There's also a lot of other streets where you'll find more cafés or more shops. There was a "vintage/alternative street" that I loved - some were quite expensive for being secondhand stores, but i still loved it. You'll also find an area where there's a Zara, h&m, spanish stores etc. There's something for everyone, everywhere.

We attended this outdoor electronic music festival while we were there - they do it every year around mid-April, I think. It was a cool thing to experience, loads of friendly people, dance floor, bar, play area for children, tiny yard sale thing going on. Another "something for everyone, everywhere" experience. Maybe you'd like to find an event to be part of while you're there? We paid for it before-hand, so once we got there it was all set.

One thing we didn't have the chance to do was see the Magic Fountain of Montjuic at night - definitely look into that, it seems really interesting, and takes place on certain days in the evening so hopefully you could catch a performance time. I was told there's a show and fireworks or something.

Those are a few tips, but for only 3 days there you guys will manage to discover more as you explore. We didn't plan anything but once we got there we just went where we felt like going! The random people we met were really nice and open - some guy working in one of those tourist stores said he liked my hair haha XD If either of you know a bit of Spanish, beware that most Barcelonians speak Catalan (at least the ones we came across) - which has a different dialect to Spanish, according to my friend who speaks beginner-intermediate level Spanish. She didn't understand most of what they said, but they do respond well with regular Spanish. Most spoke English too, if not at least some basic English

Beware of pickpocketing! Fortunately we didn't experience it, but we were very careful after all the warnings we were given before traveling there. Especially in the streets of La Rambla or anywhere where there's loads of people - make sure you look after whatever's on you. Even if someone bumps into you, you could find that your pockets are suddenly empty.

Lastly you could always keep an eye out for those red sightseeing buses if things get dull. Nothing wrong with those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbuster)
    x
    Thank you so much for the very detailed response! My travel companion and I are very grateful

We are actually staying at the Hotel Sagrada Familia so hopefully we will be able to see it from our hotel room!

ReputationRep:
    No problem! Happy to help

Ahh, you'll definitely be able to see the church at some point then. Hope you two enjoy your visit! Let me know if you end up seeing any other sights, my friend and I definitely want to go back for a second round!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbuster)
    No problem! Happy to help

Ahh, you'll definitely be able to see the church at some point then. Hope you two enjoy your visit! Let me know if you end up seeing any other sights, my friend and I definitely want to go back for a second round!
    Haha I will let you know! Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.