The Student Room Group

AA vehicle inspection

Looking to buy a ford focus sometime this week 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 LX and I'm thinking about calling the AA to do a check for me before I buy it which will cost me around 140 but at least I know the car is in good order before I buy.

Just wondering if you think it's worth it or should I just buy the car and go to a local garage to do a check for me which could be cheaper.

I don't really have anyone at the moment to go with that is an expert with cars so that is not an option.

Any other tips when buying a car

And any advice about getting a ford focus ?
Main thing to check on a Focus is for paint damage and rust. Despite being galvenised, Focuses are pretty rust prone. Particularly look for stone chips around the wheel arches and doors. Check for water ingress in the footwells and boot. That said, the former is often due to a blocked aircon duct but I don't think the LX has aircon.
Having the car checked over is good peace of mind. I can't say if AA or a garage is best. Depends on the cost, and how good the garage seems.
Original post by hkorantneg
Looking to buy a ford focus sometime this week 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 LX and I'm thinking about calling the AA to do a check for me before I buy it which will cost me around 140 but at least I know the car is in good order before I buy.

Just wondering if you think it's worth it or should I just buy the car and go to a local garage to do a check for me which could be cheaper.

I don't really have anyone at the moment to go with that is an expert with cars so that is not an option.

Don't waste your money with the AA inspection.

Instead look for a good and reputable independent mechanic nearby to you to perform that inspection. Will definitely be cheaper and usually more thorough than the AA as well as you will also get a very accurate account as to how much if at all it would cost to get everything put right.

Always check prior to buying, if there are some faults you can use it as a means to get the price down or ask the seller to rectify it prior.

Tips : Don't buy the first one you see, there are loads of good ones about as it was UK's best selling car at one time so no need to be in a hurry.

Thoroughly examine it prior to buying, while parts are cheap on it the labour isn't.

If it is a TDCI ensure the turbo is in good condition especially the bearings as these are expensive to fix.

Suspension noises should be minimal so test drive on a variety of surface condition to ensure no funny noises.

Panel gaps, Ford decided to make this car in Germany rather than in UK for build quality and precision reasons therefore things such as panel gaps, the lining of panels was excellent when new, unless it had been in a crash that was poorly repaired there is no reason for it to run. Generally all doors and lids should open and close smoothly, if one door closes or opens unusually from the others do investigate further.

Other than that make sure you go view the car first thing in the morning so you could view a cold engine start. If it has any issues or difficult to start then you know that car isn't the one you want to waste your time on.
Reply 3
Original post by Alfissti
Don't waste your money with the AA inspection.

Instead look for a good and reputable independent mechanic nearby to you to perform that inspection. Will definitely be cheaper and usually more thorough than the AA as well as you will also get a very accurate account as to how much if at all it would cost to get everything put right.

Always check prior to buying, if there are some faults you can use it as a means to get the price down or ask the seller to rectify it prior.

Tips : Don't buy the first one you see, there are loads of good ones about as it was UK's best selling car at one time so no need to be in a hurry.

Thoroughly examine it prior to buying, while parts are cheap on it the labour isn't.

If it is a TDCI ensure the turbo is in good condition especially the bearings as these are expensive to fix.

Suspension noises should be minimal so test drive on a variety of surface condition to ensure no funny noises.

Panel gaps, Ford decided to make this car in Germany rather than in UK for build quality and precision reasons therefore things such as panel gaps, the lining of panels was excellent when new, unless it had been in a crash that was poorly repaired there is no reason for it to run. Generally all doors and lids should open and close smoothly, if one door closes or opens unusually from the others do investigate further.

Other than that make sure you go view the car first thing in the morning so you could view a cold engine start. If it has any issues or difficult to start then you know that car isn't the one you want to waste your time on.

I put a post on www.whocanfixmycar.com so i should be contacted soon from an expert to come and inspect the car. I've been looking at auto trader and found a few good ones.

Final question, even if I go there with the professional and he gives me the all clear or gets money knocked off depending on the condition I still shouldn't buy it because it's the first one I've seen?
I put a post on www.whocanfixmycar.com so i should be contacted soon from an expert to come and inspect the car. I've been looking at auto trader and found a few good ones.

Final question, even if I go there with the professional and he gives me the all clear or gets money knocked off depending on the condition I still shouldn't buy it because it's the first one I've seen?

If the mechanic gives the all clear as to the condition of the car and you are happy with the price then go ahead and buy it.
Reply 5
I have had a couple of AA inspections and have been very pleased with the service. It is sensible insurance for a large purpose. Undoubtedly it is a bit over priced and if you know another car mechanic you could probably save some money.
Reply 6
Original post by Zarek
I have had a couple of AA inspections and have been very pleased with the service. It is sensible insurance for a large purpose. Undoubtedly it is a bit over priced and if you know another car mechanic you could probably save some money.

Thanks, what did they do during the inspections ?
Reply 7
Thanks, what did they do during the inspections ?

They have a checklist of mechanical gobbledygook checks. To me it seemed quite thorough and took about an hour. They even picked up that the CD player had a fault. The mechanic, who was a credible figure, gave me a thorough debrief at the end and then I got a report. He told me the car was sound and I could buy with confidence which was the reassurance I was looking for. Later when I spoke to a small garage where I get a service the guy told me that the checks are sensible but basic and he could do the same thing for £50. I still thought it was a good service. Mind you the AA have been swallowed up by the venture capitalists since then.
Reply 8
Original post by Zarek
They have a checklist of mechanical gobbledygook checks. To me it seemed quite thorough and took about an hour. They even picked up that the CD player had a fault. The mechanic, who was a credible figure, gave me a thorough debrief at the end and then I got a report. He told me the car was sound and I could buy with confidence which was the reassurance I was looking for. Later when I spoke to a small garage where I get a service the guy told me that the checks are sensible but basic and he could do the same thing for £50. I still thought it was a good service. Mind you the AA have been swallowed up by the venture capitalists since then.

Nice one did the dealership fix the CD player free of charge ?
Reply 9
Nice one did the dealership fix the CD player free of charge ?

Yep, that was another reason I was pleased I had it done. Perhaps they would have done it anyway if I'd complained later. But as I said, I thought the AA service was good.
Reply 10
Original post by Zarek
Yep, that was another reason I was pleased I had it done. Perhaps they would have done it anyway if I'd complained later. But as I said, I thought the AA service was good.

Also how flexible are the AA from when you requested the inspection did you get the time an day you wanted or do you have to wait a long period before you can get an appointment
Reply 11
Also how flexible are the AA from when you requested the inspection did you get the time an day you wanted or do you have to wait a long period before you can get an appointment

Sorry, it's years back and I can't remember. Try their website. Imagine everything has gone down hill since venture capitalist take over.
I would advise to use CarExamer I have been recommended this service in trade.

CarExamer inspection response time 2-3 days

Original post by Straightlineforw
I would advise to use CarExamer I have been recommended this service in trade.
CarExamer inspection response time 2-3 days

The OP was over 8 years ago so I'm assuming they have bought the car by now.

Latest

Trending

Trending