Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Summer DB stop-gap routine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So this summer I'm not going to have access to my usual gym for reasons I cba to disclose but I have wrangled access to my mates bench/DB set which is local. There are enough weights to cover what I need for upper body. As it stands I have disproportinatly bigger legs so it's not the end of the world if legs suffer a bit for a month. I'm going to try to get 2-3 A/B in a week + 1/2 leg sessions (ab work, split squats, goblet squats). My hip is injured atm anyway so first week will have no leg work. I *think* he has a straight bar/ez bar in which case I'll swap skullcrushers for lying tricep extensions.

This is only going to be for between 4-6 weeks but I'm going to have access to lots of good food at home so going to try to fit in a little bulk before September.

A
    3x6-8 inc bench
    1xF flat bench
    5x8-10 DB row
    3x8-10 Skullcrushers

B
    3x6-8 DB OHP
    25 total rep chins in 3-5 sets. Once I manage 25 reps in 3 sets on a given weight I increase.
    3x8-10 Shrugs
    3x6-8 lat raise
    3x8-10 hammer curls

I'm pretty happy with B but A definitly needs work. Any tips for legs outside of making do with goblets/splits/lunges would be helpful. I've also never really done this sort of work out so rep ranges would be helpful. I've basically made them up based on the length of the ROM lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    So this summer I'm not going to have access to my usual gym for reasons I cba to disclose but I have wrangled access to my mates bench/DB set which is local. There are enough weights to cover what I need for upper body. As it stands I have disproportinatly bigger legs so it's not the end of the world if legs suffer a bit for a month. I'm going to try to get 2-3 A/B in a week + 1/2 leg sessions (ab work, split squats, goblet squats). My hip is injured atm anyway so first week will have no leg work. I *think* he has a straight bar/ez bar in which case I'll swap skullcrushers for lying tricep extensions.

This is only going to be for between 4-6 weeks but I'm going to have access to lots of good food at home so going to try to fit in a little bulk before September.

A
    3x6-8 inc bench
    1xF flat bench
    5x8-10 DB row
    3x8-10 Skullcrushers

B
    3x6-8 DB OHP
    25 total rep chins in 3-5 sets. Once I manage 25 reps in 3 sets on a given weight I increase.
    3x8-10 Shrugs
    3x6-8 lat raise
    3x8-10 hammer curls

I'm pretty happy with B but A definitly needs work. Any tips for legs outside of making do with goblets/splits/lunges would be helpful. I've also never really done this sort of work out so rep ranges would be helpful. I've basically made them up based on the length of the ROM lol.
    Pistol/weighted pistol squats for legs? Easy no fuss exercise and teaches good balance and body awareness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Pistol/weighted pistol squats for legs? Easy no fuss exercise and teaches good balance and body awareness.
    Aw yeah man. How did I forget those? The first time I did them was an ego test at a mates house, so much fun. I think I prefer them to BSS tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people would say bulgarian split squats are a lot better than pistols. You're going to see a hell of a lot more development from them anyway.

I've recently starting incorporating them into my routine as I can't squat/BB row/Deadlift due to lower back issues, and they're a really good exercise when you start going heavier.

Other than that you're still getting a decent workout from DBs as long as you have enough weights to progress with.

How come you're choosing to do a lot of incline sets and only one flat by the way?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Sliding leg curls are fantastic for hamstrings and glutes, some of the worst DOMS of my life were from them. I could only just about manage a 10kg plate for 3x8 and dear god the next morning was bad

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.