Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you celebrate your birthday? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I stopped celebrating around 16 but before then I pretty much went out on all my birthdays to either bowling or to eat out in a fancy restaurant after shopping or just spending it out with friends. Sometimes I even had a celebratory BBQ because it's in the summer :woo:

Now for me the best part is being able to use the excuse "but it's my birthday" and enjoy others slaving away for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilsz)
    I stopped celebrating around 16 but before then I pretty much went out on all my birthdays to either bowling or to eat out in a fancy restaurant after shopping or just spending it out with friends. Sometimes I even had a celebratory BBQ because it's in the summer :woo:

Now for me the best part is being able to use the excuse "but it's my birthday" and enjoy others slaving away for me
    Only milestone birthdays!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Nope not at all. I don't really care tbh and I don't really want to. Other than saying, "yay I'm __ now" no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I usually eat out with family/friends. Nothing too special lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No. I was raised in the JW faith where celebrating the occasion is prohibited. I'm free to now but don't have enough friends in any particular place to do a celebration.

Perhaps in uni!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still yet to plan my birthday outing (had my birthday in February) better get on it now :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    how am I not meant to celebrate my birthday :confused:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If we have the money yes but even then its nothing big. I just moan at my bf to treat me to a takeaway and that's my bday sorted

ReputationRep:
    its your birthday so i know you want to ride out....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    No. I was raised in the JW faith where celebrating the occasion is prohibited. I'm free to now but don't have enough friends in any particular place to do a celebration.

Perhaps in uni!
    I've always wondered , why is it prohibited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightDream)
    I'm still yet to plan my birthday outing (had my birthday in February) better get on it now :teehee:
    that was ages ago haha
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    I've always wondered , why is it prohibited?
    Because on two occasions, an individual was decapitated at a birthday celebration.
    Consequently, the powers that be in JW-land inferred that celebrating birthdays celebrations is sinful.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Not since I was 11. Millions of people share their birthday with me. It is nothing special. Just another day for me. My family want me to celebrate it though. So I booked a driving lesson for my next birthday. That way i'll spend an hour less with the cheeseyness.

ReputationRep:
    Because on two occasions, an individual was decapitated at a birthday celebration.
    Consequently, the powers that be in JW-land inferred that celebrating birthdays celebrations is sinful.
    What year did they make this rule?

ReputationRep:
    My birthday is New Years Day so everyone is always hanging on my birthday, including myself. Suits me though, I'm not really into celebrating the day I was born (maybe because I never have). I do try and get my Mam something little on my birthday though, by way of thanks, y'know, for giving birth to me (nice to start the new year off with a challenge too: not sicking up on her).
    :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    I used to. but now i realise how crap my life is i don't bother anymore. It's not a 'happy' occasion for me anyway

ReputationRep:
    No, I had a grandparent I was really close to pass away on my birthday so every year the thought of celebrating after visiting a grave yard doesn't seem right lol, I go all out for Christmas, though.

ReputationRep:
    Yess i do celebrate my bday😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    What year did they make this rule?
    Uh...
    Usually I'd say "google it" but I'll make the exception x.
    1951 as far as I can see. So relatively recent!

ReputationRep:
    Uh...
    Usually I'd say "google it" but I'll make the exception x.
    1951 as far as I can see. So relatively recent!
    Oh I see thanks for telling me. You learn something new everyday!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.