Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    should hopefully be starting a course in Chemistry in September but I feel my writing skills will end up letting me down. Could anyone recommend a good essay writing book or possibly lab report writing
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    This was on the recommended list the university sent me. It does seem pretty good, but to be honest i've not really paid much attention to it. It's full of decent bits of advice, but until you actually "DO" something, and then get it ripped to shreds by your tutor, you don't always quite understand the most effective way to do it. Still, it's not a bad book to start with and you can probably get one fairly cheaply second hand. It's not all about reports either, as it does cover stuff on presentations and I think posters.

Also, it's really normal to feel like you can't remember how to write correctly, when you first start doing lab reports. Technical writing is a skill in itself, but I just remember sat feeling somewhat confused as to how i'd forgotten so much about grammatical structures and word flow.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335238874.html

don't skip any 'study skills seminars' or similar that are laid on for you at the beginning of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MBrand94)
    Hey guys
    should hopefully be starting a course in Chemistry in September but I feel my writing skills will end up letting me down. Could anyone recommend a good essay writing book or possibly lab report writing
    Thank you
    Some good free courses at the open university that might help somewhat

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/tags/s...filter_options

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.