Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    posh is to be rich and live that kind of straight up kind of lifestyle. Kind of diffficult to explain. You talk like a member of the royal family, they have posh accents. An old story is that the word posh from the rich posh people going to India for the winter, then coming back to Blighty for the summer. Apparently when they came of went to India, they stayed on the side of the ship that avoided the sun POSH = Port Oout Starboard Home. But of course, this story isn't true, just a nice little story.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes. Now i have abetter idea how to explain poshness. POSH people are the stereotypical people who always wear suits and go to dinner parties and go fox hunting, but of course, even if you don't do these things, it's all in the accent. If you talk like the royal family, then you are branded as POSH.
    GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    Would some of our brothers and sisters in the UK explain to me how one can tell the difference between 2 different british accents. I watch a lot of brit tv, well not a lot, but often i do watch, like harry potter, mr bean(this man is my king of the world!) and a few others like bond james bond. I saw an interview with the woman that did the potter books talking about how she was shunned by society for having the wrong accent, but to me she sounds exactly like the others of you. And why would any society "shun" someone because of their british accent as long as they were brits and not some other nationality, i cant understand that. Are Brits really old stiffs like they are portrayed over the pond here?

And can someone tell me why brits lose their british accent when they sing. That has always perplexed me.
    How be on then my 'andsome, I am from good old zummerset (Somerset - Cider Country), and nobody can understand me my luvver.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone agree with me that the americans find the British accent sexy ?

ReputationRep:
    That's supposed to be true - maybe I should go to America and see what people think of me... I have a classic British accent (I go to a public school in the south), so I'd be interested in the reaction that I'd get.

ReputationRep:
    Girls go crazy in the US over british accents, dont ask me why. Thats why i wish i had your accent hehe.

ReputationRep:
    Girls go crazy in the US over british accents, dont ask me why. Thats why i wish i had your accent hehe.
    And then we give them a big British smile and they recoil in horror.

ReputationRep:
    *starts packing suitcase*
    I'm coming over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    And then we give them a big British smile and they recoil in horror.
    I don't get why they think that all our teeth are so bad!?! It's just not true any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I don't get why they think that all our teeth are so bad!?! It's just not true any more.
    Well it is actually. I visited the UK for the first time in two years last summer. What really struck me was the disgusting condition of everyone's teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Austin Powers made the teeth thing big in the US. A lot of US people have bad teeth too so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

ReputationRep:
    Austin Powers made the teeth thing big in the US. A lot of US people have bad teeth too so i wouldnt worry too much about it.
    And in West Virginia a lot of people don't seem to have any teeth at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well it is actually. I visited the UK for the first time in two years last summer. What really struck me was the disgusting condition of everyone's teeth.
    Weird. I know there are some adults who have really nasty teeth, but I have never really noticed it among my generation - where having braces etc has become some kind of rite of passage. There's the odd one, but generally would you really say that everyone's teeth are that horrible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Weird. I know there are some adults who have really nasty teeth, but I have never really noticed it among my generation - where having braces etc has become some kind of rite of passage. There's the odd one, but generally would you really say that everyone's teeth are that horrible?
    Well, obviously not everyone! But, generally, Brit teeth seem a lot grubbier than those of their American counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    Well it isn't surprising that dentists in the US are a bit more thorough than UK ones - you have to pay them 10x more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Well it isn't surprising that dentists in the US are a bit more thorough than UK ones - you have to pay them 10x more!
    That's true.

ReputationRep:
    My bottom teeth are smaller than my top ones. Thankfully, the largeness of my top teeth is general, not just with the front two, so I'm not goofy.

As for colour, mine are whiteish-beige.

ReputationRep:
    They do that teeth whitening thing in the US

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'll ask for one of those next time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    They do that teeth whitening thing in the US
    They do it here too. I've always had yellow teeth, clean but yellow. Anyway my dentist does bleaching so I got them done. I used the method where you have a . don't know what it's called......mold maybe made and apply bleach for 2 weeks. The good thing is you can control the colour so you don't have to go for the whiter than white US look, just lift the colour a couple of shades. It cost about £150.00, and I could only afford the top set but you don't see my botom teeth when I smile so for me it was well worth it.

Saving up for the braces. Couldn't have them as a kid My mum thought I'd get teased. She didn't seem to mind my life was made hell by kids laughing at my overbite. *shrug*

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.