Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    And can someone tell me why brits lose their british accent when they sing. That has always perplexed me.
    It intensely annoys me... every British punk/rock/pop singer suddenly hails from California when they start to sing. Bands like Busted using American English all the time (baggage in the trunk etc...) hardly helps either!! Did the Beatles sing with an American accent? I think not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    It intensely annoys me... every British punk/rock/pop singer suddenly hails from California when they start to sing. Bands like Busted using American English all the time (baggage in the trunk etc...) hardly helps either!! Did the Beatles sing with an American accent? I think not!
    sometimes its easier to sing with an american accent though. i found that sometimes when i sing, some words just sounds more "in-place" in american accent, if oyu knwo what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    Did the Beatles sing with an American accent? I think not!
    Listen to their early stuff and you'll find they opted for "mid atlantic", they became more scouse as they became more successful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Listen to their early stuff and you'll find they opted for "mid atlantic", they became more scouse as they became more successful
    do you think thats only becoz they try to break into the american market?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    sometimes its easier to sing with an american accent though. i found that sometimes when i sing, some words just sounds more "in-place" in american accent, if oyu knwo what i mean.
    But it can be done... As I said, the beatles managed it. As did the clash, and any number of bands. Oasis do it now. They dont do it because its easier, its to sound "cool" and to conform. And because most British bands have an insane notion of "making it" in the US, and think that in order to do that, they have to confirm to the US ideas of music.

ReputationRep:
    But it can be done... As I said, the beatles managed it. As did the clash, and any number of bands. Oasis do it now. They dont do it because its easier, its to sound "cool" and to conform. And because most British bands have an insane notion of "making it" in the US, and think that in order to do that, they have to confirm to the US ideas of music.
    true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    That is true to an extent, but not what I am trying to argue in this instance. I am saying it is wholly possible to sing, and be successful singing without a US accent, as they amongst others proved with their work from about 64-5 onwards. Hope that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    true
    Always amuses me! How many bands of the last 10 years can you name who have "made it" over there recently? When you look at the US invasion of the charts over here, it's a real shame!

ReputationRep:
    Always amuses me! How many bands of the last 10 years can you name who have "made it" over there recently? When you look at the US invasion of the charts over here, it's a real shame!
    yeah i know, i think the only one whos "made it" is like coldplay. but the thing is that new bands arn't "special" enough. if they got their own, their own is gonna come first init?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know, i think the only one whos "made it" is like coldplay. but the thing is that new bands arn't "special" enough. if they got their own, their own is gonna come first init?
    Well no, 'our' own loses out to US artists all the time. The most successful British band in the States recently (i think) is Delirious; a Christian Rock group about 10 times bigger in America than over here (although they have regularly got in the top 30 despite Radio One refusing to play them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    row - depends in which sense of the word, argument = wow with an R. Yes gobsmacked means amazed but can mean other things. Literally means you feel like someone has smacked you in the gob. ie your mouth.

Rowan Atkinson - no accent.
    Godsmacked isn't very British at all. It's in the US that they've got that horrid band called Godsmack, where all the band look gay.

ReputationRep:
    Well no, 'our' own loses out to US artists all the time. The most successful British band in the States recently (i think) is Delirious; a Christian Rock group about 10 times bigger in America than over here (although they have regularly got in the top 30 despite Radio One refusing to play them)
    oh right, but i just think that the hype is more than the music now. whenever a band is doin well in the US its automatically considered "the next big thing" you know. if though we got bands just as good. i'd say its definitly harder for british bands to make it over there than vise versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxNewsRocks)
    California and texas accents are as different as night and day. Californians have a very exacting pronunciation technic. In other words they speak perfect english with no slurring of anything. Same with people from the northeastern US. Most of the middle of the US and almost all the southern US, not all, but most, have a 'lazy speech' technic, as demonstrated by people like George W Bush and Bill Clinton. Most of the US does in fact sound like those 2 people to one degree or another. Some deep south and southeasterners have a drawl so defined its hard to even understand what they say if you arent used to hearing it.
    I just love those Right Guard ads where that Californian guy says "Dude, that horror movie I rented out was a real let-down. I wasn't scared one bit" (or something like that). The video rental guy replies "Sorry sir we don't offer refunds". "Oh wait, I think it's working I think I'm talking to a zombie..."

ReputationRep:
    I think you could add Dido, Bush were absolutely huge (although it's starting to be almost 10 years since their heyday), Catherine Wheel were really popular but were never that mainstream, Radiohead, of course Coldplay, and can't be considered as true artists but let's not forget British DJs like Sasha and John Digweed that made electronic music popular for a while at NY's Twilo in the 90s. You can add the Prodigy with the Fat of the Land, the Chemical Brothers who managed to become a reference for all electronic music in the US.

Blur might not seem like an obvious choice but whenever I went to a pub/bar/club in North America that was supposed to be rock-oriented,I would hear "Song 2" at least once. That single was more than huge in the US. Though of course you can't say that that made them superstars in the US.

It's definetely easier for US bands to become succesful in the UK. The British market (3rd market in the world but substantially smaller than the US) is used as a launchpad by bands like the Strokes, the White Stripes, the Killers and even for other foreign acts like Daft Punk, the Hives, Royksopp.

Steve Lamacq wrote a great article on this subject in the Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/frida...172279,00.html
    Several reasons why British music isn't as succesful as it used to be:

in the 80s, British music had more than a 30% share of the US market (even more than during the Beatles' heyday) with bands like New Order, Culture Club, Tears For Fears...
    Since the beginning of the 90s, there's been Britpop that is inaudible for anyone not British, British garage, drum n' bass that hasn't been able to break in the US mainly because most Americans can't imagine that British can make urban/black music...

ReputationRep:
    Oasis failed miserably to break into the US market.
    As for accents, in theory, when you actually sing, you sing with "Received Pronunciation". Then of course you can add your accent.
    I think the band that was the most influential on people's singing accents was Pearl Jam. When Eddie Vedder started singing with that werid accent, everyone tried to put it on.
    Obvious copycats are Creed but I'm sure there are plenty more. I think that Bush's Gavin Rossdale more or less tried to put it on in "Swallowed" (one of the biggest singles in the early 90s in the US) then gave it up in the following albums.

ReputationRep:
    I think a great example of British accents is Manchester and Liverpool they are just 40 minutes apart by train (or 34 miles), yet the accents are so different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    really? healthier than the rest of Europe and the US?
    I think that in Britain, the primary concern is how healthy your teeth are, whereas in the US there is emphasis on teeth all being bright white and straight. Isn't it that the whiter your teeth naturally are, the more weak they are?

ReputationRep:
    British accents are being replaced by Carribean, African, Indian and Pakistani accents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Godsmacked isn't very British at all. It's in the US that they've got that horrid band called Godsmack, where all the band look gay.
    Er I didn't post what you quoted, what are you getting at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Er I didn't post what you quoted, what are you getting at?
    dunno how that happened. Sorry...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.