Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm thinking about which universities to apply for (earth science/ geology) and most of the ones I like have really good field trips in third year (scottish unis so equivalent of 2nd year for a 3 yr course). But the option of going abroad for that year seems like such a good opportunity.

Which would be better? To stay and have the really good field trip or go abroad, considering expenses and such? Because if I knew if I was going to go for a year abroad then I would consider universities with not so brilliant field trips...
    Any viewpoints?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you go dont you come back to the field trip anyway? So there year abroad would be best especially uf you can learn a new lauguage.
    Oh and this is how you :bump::bump2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    If you go dont you come back to the field trip anyway? So there year abroad would be best especially uf you can learn a new lauguage.
    Oh and this is how you :bump::bump2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean you can come back to the field trip anyway? Don't you basically miss that year in university by studying elsewhere? Also could you really go from no knowledge of the language into studying in that country? I mean, from what I've heard, going into another country after a two year a level course in the language is pretty challenging - could you really do it from scratch?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well is it a year abroad as part of your course? If so generally if you leave before year 3 when you come back you go into year 3 as far as I know. And as for you're second question it depends where you go emursion in a language is the best way to learn

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well is it a year abroad as part of your course? If so generally if you leave before year 3 when you come back you go into year 3 as far as I know. And as for you're second question it depends where you go emursion in a language is the best way to learn

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not part of the course- it's just study abroad at a different university where your modules count towards your degree.
    Just, would it not be a bit risky trying to learn a new language on top of doing all your university work?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheepish153)
    It's not part of the course- it's just study abroad at a different university where your modules count towards your degree.
    Just, would it not be a bit risky trying to learn a new language on top of doing all your university work?
    In thwt case you would miss your trip.
    Well you need to decided whats more important to you but generally I would think that if its a European language its easy enough to learn via osmosis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you're really interested in the year abroad option, go for it! It will look so much better on your CV than 'I went on a week's field trip in ...' and I've heard many people say that year abroads are such fantastic experiences.
    Whether it is an additional year to your degree or an alternative year to year 2/3 depends on the uni - although I believe that for most unis it's an extra year. However, you also need to check the requirements for the year abroad - most unis will require you to have a good knowledge of the language (so if you do not have GCSE/ A levels in a foreign language you may be restricted to America/ Australia etc.) and also require you to achieve a 2:1 in your first year (so you can cope with the academic workload and won't just spend your year abroad partying...). When I was looking at universities, I applied to a couple with year abroad options - however for most of them the year abroad was not guaranteed, you had to apply during your first year (2nd year for scottish unis I guess) and it was quite competitive to get a place, particularly if you were applying to english-speaking unis.
    The cost of a year abroad will vary A LOT depending on where you go - however most unis charge much lower fees for that year (as you're not there, all they do is check up on you occasionally) and you don't usually need to pay tuition fees to the foreign uni. In general, places like America will be expensive, but go to Asia and it will be a lot cheaper. Bear in mind that you also need to pay for field trips, so unis will exciting sounding field trips travelling all around the world would work out pretty expensive anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I would say if you're really interested in the year abroad option, go for it! It will look so much better on your CV than 'I went on a week's field trip in ...' and I've heard many people say that year abroads are such fantastic experiences.
    Whether it is an additional year to your degree or an alternative year to year 2/3 depends on the uni - although I believe that for most unis it's an extra year. However, you also need to check the requirements for the year abroad - most unis will require you to have a good knowledge of the language (so if you do not have GCSE/ A levels in a foreign language you may be restricted to America/ Australia etc.) and also require you to achieve a 2:1 in your first year (so you can cope with the academic workload and won't just spend your year abroad partying...). When I was looking at universities, I applied to a couple with year abroad options - however for most of them the year abroad was not guaranteed, you had to apply during your first year (2nd year for scottish unis I guess) and it was quite competitive to get a place, particularly if you were applying to english-speaking unis.
    The cost of a year abroad will vary A LOT depending on where you go - however most unis charge much lower fees for that year (as you're not there, all they do is check up on you occasionally) and you don't usually need to pay tuition fees to the foreign uni. In general, places like America will be expensive, but go to Asia and it will be a lot cheaper. Bear in mind that you also need to pay for field trips, so unis will exciting sounding field trips travelling all around the world would work out pretty expensive anyway.
    Thanks this is really helpful! I guess I will get to uni and see how financially viable a year abroad would be for me and what my options are with regards languages and so forth

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.