Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi this is the first time im learning my theory test atm and there are some words which they expect you to know what it means such as: give way, hard shoulder, over take, etc(to name a few). I have 0 driving knowledge and it does not give a definition in the highway code.

so i'm just wonder are we meant to know these terms already? or is there a glossary of some sorts that lists them?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshuaww)
    hi this is the first time im learning my theory test atm and there are some words which they expect you to know what it means such as: give way, hard shoulder, over take, etc(to name a few). I have 0 driving knowledge and it does not give a definition in the highway code.

so i'm just wonder are we meant to know these terms already? or is there a glossary of some sorts that lists them?

thanks
    Give way means letting another vehicle go first, giving them priority. The main times this applies is when joining or crossing a more major road, or when meeting traffic head on where the road is too narrow for two way traffic. When joining or crossing a more major road you give way to traffic already on that road. This will always be clearly marked by the markings in the highway code. The difference between "give way" and "stop" is that you must stop (and on test, apply the handbrake and go to neutral) at a stop sign, whereas at a give way you are expected to keep moving if you are able to. When it comes to meets, the vehicle who has to cross the centre line gives way to the one who remains on their side of the road. If there are parked cars on your side of the road, you should let anyone coming the other direction through before proceeding. In other cases (where traffic calming narrows the road), it may be marked that you have priority or that oncoming vehicles have priority. By strict test standards, a vehicle you give way to shouldn't have to slow down or change direction due to you.

Overtake means to pass another vehicle on the right. This can either involve moving into oncoming traffic, or moving into another lane going in the same direction. In both cases you must give way to other traffic, either oncoming or that is overtaking you in a lane to the left.

The hard shoulder is to the left of motorway, and should only be used to get clear of the motorway in an emergency such as a breakdown. It must not be driven in under normal circumstances and you must only stop in it in an emergency.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for reply i understand now is this covered in the highway code how was i meant to know this? thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.