Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are most humans the way they are? Finding it hard to find a worthwile companion. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Excuse the typing error in the topic name, I am unable to edit it.

I find it extremely difficult to relate to other humans. I must say that, sadly, I find most of them terribly uninteresting and I am unable to form any sort of deeper relationships with them.

Do not misunderstand me, I understand the necessity of putting up with being a white-collared slave, to put it bluntly, for purely financial reasons, as well as and the need for some mindless entertainment. However, most humans seem to be perfectly satisfied with their lives, and want nothing more than another Ibiza vacation, a party and few beers. At first I thought that they are simply pretending that they are content with it all, faking happiness for the sake of social norms. Unfortunately, after some probing and talking, it would appear that, quite shockingly, most really are happy with the way they live, and their only worries are bills and sales. I can't help but feel like they are just a walking waste of space and I am unable to find anyone that would spike my interest.

So, my question is - why are most people so simple minded? Is it intelligence level? Something else?

ReputationRep:
    Know that guy on the matrix that betrays them all in order to get plugged back in?

That's me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Know that guy on the matrix that betrays them all in order to get plugged back in?

That's me.
    Ignorance is bliss....

ReputationRep:
    You're probably a person who values depth in people.

There are people with depth out there, you just have to find them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhantomCat)

I find it extremely difficult to relate to other humans. I must say that, sadly, I find most of them terribly uninteresting and I am unable to form any sort of deeper relationships with them.

Do not misunderstand me, I understand the necessity of putting up with being a white-collared slave, to put it bluntly, for purely financial reasons, as well as and the need for some mindless entertainment. However, most humans seem to be perfectly satisfied with their lives, and want nothing more than another Ibiza vacation, a party and few beers. At first I thought that they are simply pretending that they are content with it all, faking happiness for the sake of social norms. Unfortunately, after some probing and talking, it would appear that, quite shockingly, most really are happy with the way they live, and their only worries are bills and sales. I can't help but feel like they are just a walking waste of space and I am unable to find anyone that would spike m interest.

So, my question is - why are most people so simple minded? Is it intelligence level? Something else?
    You're massively generalising there.

ReputationRep:

Do not misunderstand me, I understand the necessity of putting up with being a white-collared slave, to put it bluntly, for purely financial reasons, as well as and the need for some mindless entertainment. However, most humans seem to be perfectly satisfied with their lives, and want nothing more than another Ibiza vacation, a party and few beers. At first I thought that they are simply pretending that they are content with it all, faking happiness for the sake of social norms. Unfortunately, after some probing and talking, it would appear that, quite shockingly, most really are happy with the way they live, and their only worries are bills and sales. I can't help but feel like they are just a walking waste of space and I am unable to find anyone that would spike m interest.

Just accept the fact that people are of different personalities. There are people out there who think like that. May be a rarity, but still there.

Regarding the bit in bold: Obviously you're not the only Raskolnikov out there.

ReputationRep:

I feel exactly the same way! but you will definitely find people with a similar world view it might just take a while. I thought I'd never find anyone but I now have a boyfriend and we've been together for 3 years just spend time doing the things you love and don't worry about other people, they'll come along eventually

ReputationRep:
    I am not 'generalizing'. I simply stated what my observations are. Note that I never said 'everyone'. But the reality appears to be that majority of humans that I have met ARE simple minded. Also, it has nothing to do with 'accepting' or not accepting that fact, because there isn't anything I can do about it, anyway. I am genuinely curious why some are satisfied with getting so little out of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thatashtraygirl)
    I feel exactly the same way! but you will definitely find people with a similar world view it might just take a while. I thought I'd never find anyone but I now have a boyfriend and we've been together for 3 years just spend time doing the things you love and don't worry about other people, they'll come along eventually
    Good to know that. And yes, I am sure that like-minded people are out there somewhere but finding them can be a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    Good to know that. And yes, I am sure that like-minded people are out there somewhere but finding them can be a challenge.
    Yeah of course, it's a huge challenge! I only have about 2 friends, and I don't like them so much tbh xD my point is, it's better to develop yourself and interests/dreams for a while than to go around looking for similar people becuase they'll come into your life when you least expect.

ReputationRep:
    OP i know what you mean and the same thoughts have crossed my mind. My day to day work allows me to meet people of all socioeconomic groups and classes if you recognise that sort of thing. I see people in run down terraced houses who can barely string a sentence and are happy with just a can of beer and some ****e on the telly or a cheap barbie in the back yard on a sunny day.

I see comparatively wealthy people who are unhappy. I remember being in someones posh home and the lady was arguing with hubby about her next car acquisition that he was going to buy her. She ranted that she didnt want an effing range rover, she wanted a BMW.

I guess what it comes down to is aspiration and expectation.

If you are poor and you have high aspirations then it may improve your lot but if your aspirations and ambitions are too lofty and/or are unrealised then most likely you will be terribly unhappy.

When we are young (like you lot !) we think that we will do well at uni,get a good job, be better than most and rule the world. In reality you end up just being another cog in the machine and not much better off than the guy with the can of beer in the run down terrace.

ReputationRep:
    You've all raised some good points. However, when it comes to aspiration and expectation bit, again, most people are only keen on earning a lot of money and their social status. Thus, all those people are still interested in the same thing, their lives not much different when it comes to their state of mind.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think like that, just learn to appreciate different aspects of others which seem whimsical or a little silly rather than being a spoilsport

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.