Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think some if not, almost everyone has gotten a writer's block before. Y'know the one where you just don't know what to write or get something I call THE writer's block (I know it's the capitals), it's the one where you can't even write an essay or structure an essay.

I got it and what's worst is that I sat two essay-filled GCSEs when I had this.

I flopped it

Does anyone here know how to destroy/get over a writer's block? Please, I'll give the person whose solution works a positive rep or something

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    When I get writers block I try to think of me having a conversation with someone and not just writing a book or an essay. Then I write down all the ideas I had. I find ideas flow better when you are talking so if you talk in your head then it might help.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I get it horribly, mostly about finding things to write about- as a journalistic blogger, I could write about many things, but I always seem to struggle to find something to review/talk about. Are you talking about fictional writing in general or just essays?
    For fictional writing you could think of a childhood memory and change the people in it to monsters/animals etc and see where that goes?
    For essays, make sure you've got all the points, write them in order and expand on each one. Remember to plan as well, you'll get the hang of what you're writing and it'll get easier.

I don't think that was much help if I'm honest, I can relate to what you're talking about though

ReputationRep:
    I get mathematicians block :cool:

ReputationRep:
    When I get writer block, I try to relax and do something that doesn't require much mind process (like working out) usually after that my mind is refreshed to work and the block gone.

ReputationRep:
    When I get writers block, I'll re-read what I've already written & see if anything comes back with inspiration.

If I can, I'll take a break and relax: either read other stories whether it be from my bookshelf; the newspaper; or even fanfiction. I'll also listen to instrumental music (not necessarily classical, sometimes film soundtracks & backing tracks for popular songs work just as well). Basically, I do anything I can that will get me more inspiration.

Also taking a breath of fresh air and going for a walk or eating some fruit helps.

Sometimes I also get writers embarrasment, where I can't believe the dribble I've just written so I start over.

Obviously writing essays might be difficult in this situation, especially if you are in class as its unlikely you can listen to music and stuff, but perhaps see if you can be excused for a 'toilet break'. I've done it before and believe me a 2 minute break away without thinking about the task is all your brain needs to refresh & start over.

Hope that helps :-)

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes another creative outlet, like a musical instrument, can inspire you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try jogging! Works for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    I think some if not, almost everyone has gotten a writer's block before. Y'know the one where you just don't know what to write or get something I call THE writer's block (I know it's the capitals), it's the one where you can't even write an essay or structure an essay.

I got it and what's worst is that I sat two essay-filled GCSEs when I had this.

I flopped it

Does anyone here know how to destroy/get over a writer's block? Please, I'll give the person whose solution works a positive rep or something

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A lot of successful writers maintain that writer's block doesn't exist in the way we think of it. A lot of them recommend that if there's a project or something that you can't seem to move on, just put it aside and write something else, short story, poem, random string of sentences, whatever. The idea is that while you're putting words together on something else, your brain will de-clutter whatever it is that's stopping you in your other work.
    So if you have writer's block, even if you feel it's in every aspect of your writing, just write anything on a piece of paper, a dirty limerick or a story about a hamster who's racist against millipedes.
    It's so frustrating to get stuck on something you're writing, but you really can power through. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.