Turn on thread page Beta

Plans this summer : must improve myself watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    http://nweb.pct.edu/homepage/staff/e...anon/Begin.htm

something to start with.

i have these aspirations, i say i wil stop eating chocalate, take up running and do more press ups/sit ups/go to the gym. same with learning a language...

it never happens :sniff: my motivational skills are appalling
    see now that is never the problem with me - with regard to the physical side - i am now a fruitarian (for spiritual reasons) and i keep in good physical shape by working out - but i can never carry through these good intentions to the desk where i read my books - grrr.... my brilliant mind is being laid to waste by the infuriating games i play and hours spent on the blasted internet :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    The books are better, especially The Bellmaker, I want to set sail in a massive ocean now, sounds fun!
    well, her reads the book word for word on the tape, so i fail to see how they can be 'better'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    well, her reads the book word for word on the tape, so i fail to see how they can be 'better'
    Oh I see, the book on tape! I thought you meant the Channel 5 cartoonisation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    see now that is never the problem with me - with regard to the physical side - i am now a fruitarian (for spiritual reasons) and i keep in good physical shape by working out - but i can never carry through these good intentions to the desk where i read my books - grrr.... my brilliant mind is being laid to waste by the infuriating games i play and hours spent on the blasted internet :mad:
    yeah i hate the internet in that respect...wasting time....there is so much tho, i spend all my time on a few websites when i could research interesting things.....bah teenage years....

i do press ups/sits ups....but ive given up during the holidays along with everything else....i was doing 100 press ups a night in my heyday...not any more

i read lots of books tho. one thing im good at

ReputationRep:
    this is all sounding pretty good - anyone ever read - Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - recommended to me but never got round to reading it
    Brave New World is a must read amazing book

Novels
    • Wuthering Heights
    • Lullaby
    • Survivor (amazing)
    • Brave New World
    • Catch 22
    • Catcher in the Rye
    • Eats, shoots and leaves!
    • Life of Pi
    • The Divine Comedy
    • Heart of Darkness
    Plays
    • Samuel Beckett - Complete Works
    • Tom Stoppard (both great absurdist drama people)
    • Shakespeare
    • Hay Fever (funny play)
    Poetry
    • Shakespeare
    • John Donne (both his earlier work + holy sonnets)
    • e.e. cummings
    • T.S. Eliot
    • Keats
    Theres some suggestions Kurdt! You looking just toward the English Lit side of things or going to branch into philosophy/politics? If you are, give me a message on msn i'll give you some more titles for those.

ReputationRep:
    thank you all kindly for your worthy suggestions!!! - brilliant - i have a full summer of reading ahead i suppose

ReputationRep:
    I never really got into Brick Lane even though it's quite highly recommended. Catcher in the Rye is a good book as is 1984.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I never really got into Brick Lane even though it's quite highly recommended. Catcher in the Rye is a good book as is 1984.
    Wahey Brick Lane! My dad owns two (one more soon) restaurants there, I lived there 9 years...

You mean Monica Ali's book right? My brother's reading that :rolleyes:

And what kind of name is Monica Ali, she ain't mixed race is she?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    Wahey Brick Lane! My dad owns two (one more soon) restaurants there, I lived there 9 years...

You mean Monica Ali's book right? My brother's reading that :rolleyes:

And what kind of name is Monica Ali, she ain't mixed race is she?
    Yep I mean Monica Ali's book, I kinda had to force myself to read it, if you know what I mean, like some books you can just read, but this one I can't seem too...

I don't know if she's mixed race, but I do know she was born in Dhaka. Are Sonia and Natasha Indian names?

ReputationRep:

But then I would like some 20th Century suggestions from around the world - heard something about The Brothers Karamazov (sp.) and having read the reviews i was intrigued - but please - purely classic 20th century stuff like 1984 and the aforementioned...
    I think I suggested The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky :cool:
    Other books you might want to look out for include J.D. Salinger -The Catcher in the Rye, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, Maya Angelou - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings OR FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS - E.HEMINGWAY - such a beautiful book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Yep I mean Monica Ali's book, I kinda had to force myself to read it, if you know what I mean, like some books you can just read, but this one I can't seem too...

I don't know if she's mixed race, but I do know she was born in Dhaka. Are Sonia and Natasha Indian names?
    Not by a long way , but you do find these days that parents of the sub-continent are giving their kids more English names. I know two Bengali guys named "Russell" :rolleyes:

Hell I don't really mind, I'm calling my son Byron

ReputationRep:
    Also the Colour Purple is meant to be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I think I suggested The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky :cool:
    Other books you might want to look out for include J.D. Salinger -The Catcher in the Rye, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, Maya Angelou - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings OR FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS - E.HEMINGWAY - such a beautiful book
    Thank you - but in fact my former English teacher has just finished reading it yet again and recommended i read it this week - and so i shall be discussing it with him and other English teachers next week at a discussion group/seminar to wind down the year as it were - thus far it has been rather slow and perhaps overlong in parts but the storyline is quite compelling - hmm who did it? lol - i have read To Kill A Mockingbird which i then eventually studied at GCSE and i thought that was rather good actually - Atticus was full of surprises and the book encapsulated how first impressions can be very deceiving in all manners of ways - but thank you for your suggestions - Hemingway is a renowned writer and I shall take your advice on that one - didnt you also recommend books called 'Handmaid's Tale' and 'The Edible Woman' by Margaret Atwood? (not sure of authoress' name there)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.