Kurdt Morello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by MattG)
http://nweb.pct.edu/homepage/staff/e...anon/Begin.htm

something to start with.

i have these aspirations, i say i wil stop eating chocalate, take up running and do more press ups/sit ups/go to the gym. same with learning a language...

it never happens :sniff: my motivational skills are appalling
see now that is never the problem with me - with regard to the physical side - i am now a fruitarian (for spiritual reasons) and i keep in good physical shape by working out - but i can never carry through these good intentions to the desk where i read my books - grrr.... my brilliant mind is being laid to waste by the infuriating games i play and hours spent on the blasted internet :mad:
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
The books are better, especially The Bellmaker, I want to set sail in a massive ocean now, sounds fun!
well, her reads the book word for word on the tape, so i fail to see how they can be 'better'
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
well, her reads the book word for word on the tape, so i fail to see how they can be 'better'
Oh I see, the book on tape! I thought you meant the Channel 5 cartoonisation...
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
see now that is never the problem with me - with regard to the physical side - i am now a fruitarian (for spiritual reasons) and i keep in good physical shape by working out - but i can never carry through these good intentions to the desk where i read my books - grrr.... my brilliant mind is being laid to waste by the infuriating games i play and hours spent on the blasted internet :mad:
yeah i hate the internet in that respect...wasting time....there is so much tho, i spend all my time on a few websites when i could research interesting things.....bah teenage years....

i do press ups/sits ups....but ive given up during the holidays along with everything else....i was doing 100 press ups a night in my heyday...not any more

i read lots of books tho. one thing im good at
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this is all sounding pretty good - anyone ever read - Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - recommended to me but never got round to reading it
Brave New World is a must read amazing book

Novels
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Lullaby
  • Survivor (amazing)
  • Brave New World
  • Catch 22
  • Catcher in the Rye
  • Eats, shoots and leaves!
  • Life of Pi
  • The Divine Comedy
  • Heart of Darkness
Plays
  • Samuel Beckett - Complete Works
  • Tom Stoppard (both great absurdist drama people)
  • Shakespeare
  • Hay Fever (funny play)
Poetry
  • Shakespeare
  • John Donne (both his earlier work + holy sonnets)
  • e.e. cummings
  • T.S. Eliot
  • Keats
Theres some suggestions Kurdt! You looking just toward the English Lit side of things or going to branch into philosophy/politics? If you are, give me a message on msn i'll give you some more titles for those.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
thank you all kindly for your worthy suggestions!!! - brilliant - i have a full summer of reading ahead i suppose
me!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I never really got into Brick Lane even though it's quite highly recommended. Catcher in the Rye is a good book as is 1984.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
I never really got into Brick Lane even though it's quite highly recommended. Catcher in the Rye is a good book as is 1984.
Wahey Brick Lane! My dad owns two (one more soon) restaurants there, I lived there 9 years...

You mean Monica Ali's book right? My brother's reading that :rolleyes:

And what kind of name is Monica Ali, she ain't mixed race is she?
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
Wahey Brick Lane! My dad owns two (one more soon) restaurants there, I lived there 9 years...

You mean Monica Ali's book right? My brother's reading that :rolleyes:

And what kind of name is Monica Ali, she ain't mixed race is she?
Yep I mean Monica Ali's book, I kinda had to force myself to read it, if you know what I mean, like some books you can just read, but this one I can't seem too...

I don't know if she's mixed race, but I do know she was born in Dhaka. Are Sonia and Natasha Indian names?
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

But then I would like some 20th Century suggestions from around the world - heard something about The Brothers Karamazov (sp.) and having read the reviews i was intrigued - but please - purely classic 20th century stuff like 1984 and the aforementioned...
I think I suggested The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky :cool:
Other books you might want to look out for include J.D. Salinger -The Catcher in the Rye, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, Maya Angelou - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings OR FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS - E.HEMINGWAY - such a beautiful book
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by me!)
Yep I mean Monica Ali's book, I kinda had to force myself to read it, if you know what I mean, like some books you can just read, but this one I can't seem too...

I don't know if she's mixed race, but I do know she was born in Dhaka. Are Sonia and Natasha Indian names?
Not by a long way , but you do find these days that parents of the sub-continent are giving their kids more English names. I know two Bengali guys named "Russell" :rolleyes:

Hell I don't really mind, I'm calling my son Byron
me!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Also the Colour Purple is meant to be good.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
(Original post by waiting2smile)
I think I suggested The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky :cool:
Other books you might want to look out for include J.D. Salinger -The Catcher in the Rye, Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, Maya Angelou - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings OR FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS - E.HEMINGWAY - such a beautiful book
Thank you - but in fact my former English teacher has just finished reading it yet again and recommended i read it this week - and so i shall be discussing it with him and other English teachers next week at a discussion group/seminar to wind down the year as it were - thus far it has been rather slow and perhaps overlong in parts but the storyline is quite compelling - hmm who did it? lol - i have read To Kill A Mockingbird which i then eventually studied at GCSE and i thought that was rather good actually - Atticus was full of surprises and the book encapsulated how first impressions can be very deceiving in all manners of ways - but thank you for your suggestions - Hemingway is a renowned writer and I shall take your advice on that one - didnt you also recommend books called 'Handmaid's Tale' and 'The Edible Woman' by Margaret Atwood? (not sure of authoress' name there)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (240)
47.06%
Take exams next summer (69)
13.53%
Change uni choice through clearing (111)
21.76%
Apply to uni next year instead (53)
10.39%
I'm not applying to university (37)
7.25%

Watched Threads