Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is wrong with sizes these days?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do clothing manufacturers find it so hard to stick to a standard clothing size template?

I have a pair of UK size 4 jeans from gap and they fit. I also have a pair of size 12 jeans from H&M and they're a little snug.

I also have dresses that are a size 6 and fit fine, yet in some clothes even a 10 is tight.

Every pair of jeans seems to be made for someone with stick legs and a waist as wide as their hips. Any high wasted shorts I get always have a massive space at the back of my waist, but I'm sure nobody is that shape.

Shoes are doing it to. I used to be a 6/7 when i was in sixth form. Now most of my shoes are a 5...sometomes even a 4.

It's a bit annoying. Why can't they all just agree on what is an 8,10 etc....

ReputationRep:
    I know it's so frustrating the most annoying thing is bra sizes, they are so inconsistent it's ridiculous lol. Whilst we're ranting about the high street why oh why do designers decide to make every single top sheer? During these boiling hot days it means I have to wear a tank top underneath unless I want to the World to see my bra.

ReputationRep:
    I find H&M really bad for clothes sizes! Especially for bottoms - I'm usually a size or 2 bigger in their shorts or jeans. I've found the same with my shoes too.. I used to be a 7 maybe even an 8 at times, but now i'm a 6/7, it's weird.

ReputationRep:
    Totally - really frustrating if you are ordering online as well. Even people's reviews don't help much as snug to one person sometimes is tight to another - sent so many things back that just are not the size you expect.

ReputationRep:
    H&M are the absolute WORST!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeaX)
    I know it's so frustrating the most annoying thing is bra sizes, they are so inconsistent it's ridiculous lol. Whilst we're ranting about the high street why oh why do designers decide to make every single top sheer? During these boiling hot days it means I have to wear a tank top underneath unless I want to the World to see my bra.
    Even as a guy I've noticed that, I don't follow fashion trends tbh so don't know if it's something especially popular now but even newscasters/reporters on tv often wear some sheer top which are practically translucent, showing the world your bra seems to be the done thing now, personally I think it looks kind of weird..

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree.

It's time we introduced standardised sizing.

ReputationRep:
    I find Zara sizes insanely small!! I'm a UK 10/12 and sometimes struggle to fit in their size L items.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the reasons why I'm happy I'm a guy (alongside not getting PMS and not having to worry about societal pressures such as "OMG U DNT WAER MAKE UP!!!1!!!1!"). T-shirt: medium. Jeans: whatever fits. If it's too big, I buy a belt.

Why women have such a disordered clothing size range is beyond me (though I suppose breasts go some way to explaining it; a medium for a A-cup wouldn't fit the same on someone who has F-cups).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.