Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    Hello!

I'm going into Year 12 next year having finished my GCSEs and C1 (the first AS Level Maths module) a year early and I am planning on applying to Cambridge (and others such as Warwick) to study Maths.

Recently I've had a look at a few MAT and STEP past papers and, even though I know that they will seem hard at this point, I want to start preparing early, more in terms of mathematical aptitude rather than directly for the exams. I know that with my level of knowledge I can't quite start doing past papers yet, so I decided to do (and am currently doing) some UKMT Maths Challenge past papers and Kangaroos, which I think have improved my problem solving skills a lot.

The thing is, apart from these, I want to know whether there are any other ways to (indirectly) prepare for the MAT and STEP. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    The best preparation for either is to have solid knowledge of the A level content, specifically the Core material. If you've covered C1 then the next logical thing to do is to work through C2 at your own speed - there is no rush as you have a head start already. With C1 and C2 you can theoretically tackle the MAT questions, but they rely on experience and maturity rather than learning extra material for the sake of it, so concentrate on doing more difficult questions from C1 and C2 e.g, Review exercises and extension questions where you can find them.

There will be a few STEP I questions accessible to you at the moment, but I would hold fire looking at STEP I until you've covered C3 and C4, by which time your thinking will automatically have matured quite a lot!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    Thanks for the reply!
    Annoying thing is that, because I did C1 a year early, I'm only going to start the C2 content in January. I was considering learning the C2 content on my own, but one possible consequence could be getting extremely bored in lessons. It might be worth doing what you said and just working through C2 at my own speed; I have a textbook which I can use to learn the material. Do you think this would be a good idea? Do you think it would be worth attempting some MAT questions now or is it too early? Also, where could I find some more difficult C1 (and C2) questions and extension questions? (I've done all of the C1 past papers available to me.) And finally, are there any other things I can do to generally improve my maths aptitude and indirectly prepare for MAT and STEP? All I could think of was maths challenges. Sorry for so many questions, but thanks again for the reply.
    I'd say learn C2 when it suits you.

The MAT will draw on C1 and C2 concepts so don't waste time on it now because you'll want to attempt past papers in exam conditions for practice, and if you look at odd questions in advance you'll spoil those mock attempts if you've seen bits already!

Textbook review exercises are generally more advanced than past papers - there are usually starred questions or something similar that go further than normal exam questions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.