The Student Room Group

Most epic last minute winning goal EVER?

Just been watching this amazing video (great music too) of the top 10 last minute winners of the modern game.

I know nothing compares to the epic commentary of Agueroooooooooo, but some of the others are so amazing as well, especially Robben in 2012 CL final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlZovmRYVEE (read description and see the top 10).

The video also contains the best version of Sky Sports Agueroooooooooooooooo on YouTube (it hasn't been taken down presumably because of the music on top)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

1999 UCL Final. Man Utd are 1-0 down against Bayern Munich and all seems lost, until in the dying minutes, we score two and become immortal by becoming the first and only English team to ever win the treble
Why couldn't QPR just not be crap for 5 more minutes.
Not last minute or a winner, but Essien vs Arsenal is one of my all time favourites
GOL DI GROSSO!

[video="youtube;oQhfWwf7yp0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhfWwf7yp0[/video]

2006 WC semi finals after 118 minutes
That play off semi final has to be the maddest I've seen. Watford vs Leicester? Unreal.
Original post by Black Kate Moss
Not last minute or a winner, but Essien vs Arsenal is one of my all time favourites

I'd like to change my vote. I'm going for Ronnie O'Sullivan's 2013 World Championship. Not last minute, or a winner, or a goal or even football, but it is one of my all time favourites.
You mean the 2013 final
Original post by Wilfred Little
That play off semi final has to be the maddest I've seen. Watford vs Leicester? Unreal.

Yeah that was crazy

[video="youtube;38X7ho4E07w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38X7ho4E07w[/video]

Couldn't have been more last minute
Obviously this:

This deserves a mention too:

Reply 10
Owen vs City anyone? Was maybe more special for me as I was there :moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd like to change my vote. I'm going for Ronnie O'Sullivan's 2013 World Championship. Not last minute, or a winner, or a goal or even football, but it is one of my all time favourites.
Heh just felt like showing off the Essien goal. Always the first to mind in any late goals thread
A couple of goals from further back:

Michael Thomas winning goal at Anfield in 1989 that won Arsenal the league in unlikely circumstances. This was as much a last minute of the championship as Aguero's but for me, it ranks above Aguero's goal for drama just because of the scale of what Arsenal had to do. The last game of the season had 1st v 2nd, with Liverpool (who were dominant at the time) ahead by 3 points and Arsenal needing to win by 2 clear goals to take the title on goal difference, and they did in the last minute. That's just incredible. So that is a better last minute goal for me than Aguero, because City were only playing QPR at home, they didn't have to go away to the dominant side in football and win by 2.

David Platt vs Belgium, second round, 1990 World Cup

In the context of football in this country, possibly the most important England goal scored since 1966. Italia '90 was the tournament that was really the watershed point in English football, before that point football had a bad image, there were lots of hooligan problems in the 1980s, our clubs were banned from Europe. Margaret Thatcher was always on football's case, "Middle England" generally frowned on it. Italia '90 was the first time the country as a whole really got excited about an England tournament and everyone came together to follow England. We had started off the tournament pretty slowly and were generally written off and Belgium in those days were strong, they were semi-finalists in Mexico 86 and we were expected to struggle to get past them. But England went toe to toe with them and would have won earlier but for the fact Belgium had probably the best goalkeeper of the era, Preud'homme.

Last minute of extra time, Gazza wins a free kick. Floats one in beautifully and David Platt scores a beautiful volley to send England through. That changed everything, because we then had a very winnable quarter final against Cameroon (which we did win, although it wasn't easy) and Germany in the semis in Turin which became one of the most epic nights in English football history and despite us losing on penalties, the whole drama of how well we'd played against the best team in the world, Gazza's tears, meant that when the 1990/91 season started, English football was on a different level, the country as a whole was interested now. TV companies saw there was a huge market and this brought in the big TV deals of the Premier League.

Who knows what would have happened if England had not won that game. Italia '90 would never really have got off the ground for the English public and we would have probably carried on as normal.

Platt had been a relative surprise pick for that tournament and was expected to be a squad player but he got three goals in the tournament and played very well as a replacement for the injured England captain Bryan Robson....his career also took off from that point and he became one of the better players in Serie A (the best league in the world at the time) and England captain.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine
A couple of goals from further back:

Michael Thomas winning goal at Anfield in 1989 that won Arsenal the league in unlikely circumstances. This was as much a last minute of the championship as Aguero's but for me, it ranks above Aguero's goal for drama just because of the scale of what Arsenal had to do. The last game of the season had 1st v 2nd, with Liverpool (who were dominant at the time) ahead by 3 points and Arsenal needing to win by 2 clear goals to take the title on goal difference, and they did in the last minute. That's just incredible. So that is a better last minute goal for me than Aguero, because City were only playing QPR at home, they didn't have to go away to the dominant side in football and win by 2.

Actually yeah, plus Man City's resources take a lot of the credit away for me.

23 seconds in :biggrin: Makes me laugh every time.
[video="youtube;JfTWp5dKkDc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfTWp5dKkDc[/video]

Agueros goal to clinch Man City's first ever league title.
Original post by samir12
Agueros goal to clinch Man City's first ever league title.

First since their two in the 30's and 60's you mean?
First since their two in the 30's and 60's you mean?

PL title, but it would've felt like a first for the fans which makes it special.
(edited 9 years ago)
A personal one for me was matchday 29 in the 2012/13 season. The penultimate game of the season at home vs Benfica. Benfica looked like they would win the league only for a 92nd minute winner by Kelvin to take Porto above Benfica and put one hand on the trophy going into the final game of the season. Before that Benfica were happily leading the table since March so winning the league looked very unlikely.

(edited 9 years ago)
Actually yeah, plus Man City's resources take a lot of the credit away for me.

23 seconds in :biggrin: Makes me laugh every time.

Yes City 2012 was the powerhouses beating the underdogs in the last minute, in a game they really should have put away 3-0 or so but nerves affected them, hence the late drama.

Arsenal 1989 was the underdogs beating the powerhouses in the last minute so was much more special.

The only thing I would bring up as a mitigating factor was that Liverpool at the time was a club in shock over Hillsborough and the players had just been going to all the funerals etc. I don't think in Liverpool losing the league so late to Arsenal registered on quite the shock scale it otherwise would have done, because there were bigger things happening at that time.

However there is a parallel between the two situations.

That Arsenal win in 1989 was the first sign that the great Liverpool era was starting to crumble. Losing a title decider at home when you only need to lose by 1 goal or fewer is not really something you'd associate with a champion team.

Liverpool did rally back to win the league the next season, but that was the last title they won in over two decades.

The 2011/12 season had a few signs that the great United era was creaking now least when they got smashed at Old Trafford by City.

They also rallied back to win the league the next season. Will that be their equivalent of Liverpool 1989/90...the last post of an era of domination...?
Does fifa count? :cookie:

Quick Reply

Latest