Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you decide not to vote for Miliband because of how he looks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just saw on the news regular voting people saying they don't vote for Ed Miliband because he looks like Wallace.

I don't particularly like Labour, but really? How stupid are these people? Are there even words do describe it?

Are these the same people who complain about the government that they voted for not being good enough? Do these people have the nerve to wonder why this country is in such a mess?

How can this actually be any part of someone's decision on who to vote for? I don't understand why these people are even allowed to vote.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who votes for someone based on how they look is an idiot. End of.

But look on the bright side, those type of people are a tiny minority of voters. Even in a marginal seat they probably wouldn't have any effect. The number of sensible voters will far outweigh them.

ReputationRep:
    Ed Milliband is awful in many ways, not least his policies which I could write an entire book on. But as we are talking about looks...one of his failures is that he doesn't carry himself with the confidence and decisiveness of a leader because time and time again it has been shown that he is weak willed. This manifests itself in his body language, in the way he carries himself and portrays himself to others, and hence his looks. People want to vote for a leader, someone who (at the very least) appears to know what they are doing. This is not Ed Miliband, who every time you look at him you can see he is painfully out of his depth. If only he didn't stab his brother in the back... that was a guy I might have voted for.

ReputationRep:
    okay he does look quite a lot like him...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not voting for him because he said he was a Zionist...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    Ed Milliband is awful in many ways, not least his policies which I could write an entire book on. But as we are talking about looks...one of his failures is that he doesn't carry himself with the confidence and decisiveness of a leader because time and time again it has been shown that he is weak willed. This manifests itself in his body language, in the way he carries himself and portrays himself to others, and hence his looks. People want to vote for a leader, someone who (at the very least) appears to know what they are doing. This is not Ed Miliband, who every time you look at him you can see he is painfully out of his depth. If only he didn't stab his brother in the back... that was a guy I might have voted for.
    Come on now, it is plain as day that Miliband's image problems are being cooked up by the media. If you watch one of his speeches he appears passionate and confident and lets not forget he presides over a Labour Party that's heavily divided. By some miracle he's managed to get an ideologically tangled lot behind him.

Also, he hardly 'stabbed his brother in the back'.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    I just saw on the news regular voting people saying they don't vote for Ed Miliband because he looks like Wallace.

This is a gross oversimplification. In his speech Ed mentioned it as a passing joke in one sentence.

Rather the problem is the media's obsession with image and spin rather than substance and conviction. Miliband is desperately trying to turn his weaknesses (his image and personal ratings) into strengths by saying he is concerned with more important issues (e.g. policies). Its a reasonable strategy considering Cameron often appeared a little image-obsessed during Opposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)

But look on the bright side, those type of people are a tiny minority of voters. Even in a marginal seat they probably wouldn't have any effect. The number of sensible voters will far outweigh them.
    I wish I was this optimistic...

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, it's more than just the way he looks. As stupid as it sounds, him looking like Wallace makes people think of him as a joke, and his public image is already poor anyway. All the polls show that people would prefer a labour government, but wouldn't vote labour because the party has a weak leader. David Cameron is more of the 'leader type' than Milliband

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    This is a gross oversimplification. In his speech Ed mentioned it as a passing joke in one sentence.

Rather the problem is the media's obsession with image and spin rather than substance and conviction. Miliband is desperately trying to turn his weaknesses (his image and personal ratings) into strengths by saying he is concerned with more important issues (e.g. policies). Its a reasonable strategy considering Cameron often appeared a little image-obsessed during Opposition.
    The media's obsession with image? He flew half way around the world just for a photo op with Obama while the MH17 crisis was occurring. He is a massive hypocrite, intellectually feeble and will do anything for power.

Also if he didn't stab his brother in the back, then why has David flown half way around the world and effectively quit politics to get away from him, and by Ed's own admission they haven't spoken in a long time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)

Mate the majority of voters are utter cretins. How do you think we ended up with such a ****e a system as we have now? They will vote who Murdoch tells them to and in 2015 that's going to be Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    He's a silly ponce.

ReputationRep:
    You're not the editor of Daily Mail, are you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he's that bad, I feel a bit sorry for him though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    You're not the editor of Daily Mail, are you?
    Yawn, can't dispute a single thing I've said so resort to petty insults?

ReputationRep:
    Yawn, can't dispute a single thing I've said so resort to petty insults?
    How's that an insult, this is a highly paid position and a big figure in society.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not voting for him because he reminds me of Mr Burns

Actually, because I think he'd be a poor leader and I disagree with a lot of New Labour's ideas, but still...

ReputationRep:
    its not how he looks that puts me off.

its his general lack of passion. his insincerity towards anything.

i don't really know who he is or what he cares about.

he seems quite fake.

also nobody has told me anything about him that makes me think he's skilled for the job either.

if he was maybe just bad at delivery but secretly dynamite behind the scenes then ok. but i hear nothing like that.

but even written down his stuff reads like erectile dysfunction.

plus labour has not really sold anything to me.

conservatives. nope. don't care about me being poor and a student.
    labour. don't trust after tony blair. was too nanny stateish and involved in my life.
    libdems just urinated into my eyes by siding with conservatives.
    greenparty i didnt even know they were still around.
    ukip is the only party that actually seems to look at issues like immigration and european union.
    which all parties have claimed to deal with and done nothing about.
    im out of education now so im not bothered but im sure who ever is in next is gonna continue to pump bullets into its already decaying corpse.

the countries a mess.

at least cutting europe out is one less issue to deal with.
    and immigration is something that labour said they wanted to deal with back when they were in power and didnt. conservatives are too afraid of looking... conservative. so they havent done anything either.

ukip will probably screw up the country in a lot of ways. but at least if they try to not change anything other than the two issues they plan to change then at least they'll have done something.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's really about his looks as such, they just serve as a useful metaphor for what people (rightly, in my opinion) feel are weaknesses of character in him - he is rather a stumbling, preening, self-absorbed, silly individual who has poor judgement at crucial moments and lacks strength of character and purpose. We've seen that in numerous key moments, when his decision making was lamentable. He seems more interested in following focus groups and will o' the wisp daily news items than he is in securing a bold vision for Labour moving forwards. Where he does appear to do the latter, he does it in a lukewarm, half-hearted and unconvincing way. He's capable of good sound bites and of a snappy answer, but it's skin deep intellectualising, not genuine leadership.

I think that Unison picked him as a useful idiot, they felt they could control him. That may have been true, but it will probably cost the election. This is sad, because the public would be overwhelmingly behind a tough leader who promised radical change, including renationalisation of the grasping, malicious utilities and the rail industry. The new reality of the public mood is wholly beyond Miliband and the equally depressing and pathetic Balls - they are stuck in reality in a Blairite neoliberal wet dream, attempting to manoeuvre their way into office with just enough leftish deception to trick the voters and the unions, so that they can return to business as usual, serving the banks and the US corporations, once they are in office.

It's as if Wallace and Grommit were used car salesmen instead of crusaders, however foolish, against wickedness.

ReputationRep:
    It's no worse a reason than "I'm voting for them because my Dad did, and my Grandfather before that..."

Labour in particular seem to get a frightening number of votes for that reason.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.