Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any ideas of social activities I can do with the residents in a nursing home? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I volunteer every week in a nursing home and the residents spend the majority of the day watching TV. I would like to do something new with them. The obvious ideas are reading, nail painting, games and cards but I would like to come up with an original idea. For instance, we just started doing plasticine sculpting on Thursday afternoons. The residents sit around a table and make flowers out of plasticine and we put them in vases around the room. Can someone help me think of another social activity? Bear in mind they are not mobile, many in wheelchairs and none of them can get up and walk. It must be something they can do sitting around a table or something. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 08barretta)
    I volunteer every week in a nursing home and the residents spend the majority of the day watching TV. I would like to do something new with them. The obvious ideas are reading, nail painting, games and cards but I would like to come up with an original idea. For instance, we just started doing plasticine sculpting on Thursday afternoons. The residents sit around a table and make flowers out of plasticine and we put them in vases around the room. Can someone help me think of another social activity? Bear in mind they are not mobile, many in wheelchairs and none of them can get up and walk. It must be something they can do sitting around a table or something. Thanks!
    A sing song. Get some sing-a-long discs of suitable songs and some song sheets. If the residents are say 75-85 then they will have been born 1929-1939. You aren't really looking at wartime songs but rather ratpack, Doris Day, Alma Cogan, MGM musicals that sort of era.

And of course join in! They will know the songs better than you but there is no reason you can't have fun as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lmao a Rap battle :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    A sing song. Get some sing-a-long discs of suitable songs and some song sheets. If the residents are say 75-85 then they will have been born 1929-1939. You aren't really looking at wartime songs but rather ratpack, Doris Day, Alma Cogan, MGM musicals that sort of era.

And of course join in! They will know the songs better than you but there is no reason you can't have fun as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Or Elvis

bingo - not especially original

quizzes - probably not current affairs though, oldies might not always remember what happened yesterday but they're often pretty sharp about major news events that happened in their youth.

They did pizza baking at a NH near here - it's an expensive NH so the ingredient cost probably wasn't an issue.

there's a form of seated tai chi for the elderly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.