Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

laptop suddenly not working, how can I fix it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a Toshiba satellite that's nearly 2 years old. It worked perfectly until today.

I downloaded a game from origin for the first time. It took a while for it to download, but I have a slow internet connection so didn't worry about it. Likewise the fact that my laptop was being slow during the download didn't concern me as I assumed that the download qas the reason. I have AVG security that is fully up to date and that didn't flash any issues up. Two of my friends have also download the same game from the same site without issue so I'm assuming the game isn't the issue.

The game was about 13GB, but I had 400GB free, so I'm assuming the crash isn't due to lack of memory.

The game never loaded and my laptop locked so I had to turn it off. I have turned my laptop on and off multiple times and each time it works fine until windows logs me in. The nothing works. At the log in screen both my keyboard and mouse work fine.

By going in through safe mode (the mouse works here, but still not the keyboard) I have uninstalled everything I downloaded, but the problem remains on normal mode. I'm not sure what I can do. It's not sticky keys as the light for number lock won't go off so the whole thing unlocked up.

Any ideas? I can't afford a new laptop or really even for it to be fixed professionally.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do is install a fresh copy of windows, assuming you have all your work backed up, this should be theoretically free if you have a backup copy of windows, if not then you are going to have to buy it, if you are going down this route PM and I'll explain better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneDayDoctor)
    I have a Toshiba satellite that's nearly 2 years old. It worked perfectly until today.

I downloaded a game from origin for the first time. It took a while for it to download, but I have a slow internet connection so didn't worry about it. Likewise the fact that my laptop was being slow during the download didn't concern me as I assumed that the download qas the reason. I have AVG security that is fully up to date and that didn't flash any issues up. Two of my friends have also download the same game from the same site without issue so I'm assuming the game isn't the issue.

The game was about 13GB, but I had 400GB free, so I'm assuming the crash isn't due to lack of memory.

The game never loaded and my laptop locked so I had to turn it off. I have turned my laptop on and off multiple times and each time it works fine until windows logs me in. The nothing works. At the log in screen both my keyboard and mouse work fine.

By going in through safe mode (the mouse works here, but still not the keyboard) I have uninstalled everything I downloaded, but the problem remains on normal mode. I'm not sure what I can do. It's not sticky keys as the light for number lock won't go off so the whole thing unlocked up.

Any ideas? I can't afford a new laptop or really even for it to be fixed professionally.

Thanks
    Toxiic has provided some good advice..

Regarding the installation of Windows, make sure you use the CD/DVD that came with your laptop.. On the back should be an OEM registration/activation key which is used to activate Windows.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you

I've managed to get most things working by restoring it to a few weeks ago. It's still running slowly abd freezing, but at least it works!

I can't find my original Windows cd. Frustratingly, I knew where it was until last week when my parents had a clear out :/ typical!

Do you think reinstalling Windows would get it back up to full speed?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you

I've managed to get most things working by restoring it to a few weeks ago. It's still running slowly abd freezing, but at least it works!

I can't find my original Windows cd. Frustratingly, I knew where it was until last week when my parents had a clear out :/ typical!

It's possible that it'll help with the performance, if it doesn't, then perhaps the laptop is just suffering from wear and tear

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to both of you

Try malwarebytes as well, it could certainly be something you downloaded causing an issue

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.