Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So it's really not long now until my course starts, and I haven't heard anything yet from Stirling other than my confirmation letter, sass letter and accommodation letter.

I am guessing joining instruction's or welcome pack will be sent out when we are about to start, but I still wondering if there is anything else I need to do which I don't know about, and what the next step is.

I've confirmed/accepted my place, my student loans and accommodation have been sorted.

Is there anything else I'll be required to do before I start? The Stirling Portal has an online administrative enrolment section, but it's not activated yet. Anyone know when that will go online and how long we will have to complete it, as I will be going on holiday before the course starts.

Do I need to choose what modules I wish to take with my course, and when do we do this?

Also do I need to join the student union or purchase a 'freshers pass' to be able to attend event's, join clubs & societies, use the gym and union facilities?

What should I expect in the first week or two when the course starts?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ryan, basically, when that portal opens you will need to select your modules - you choose 3 firm modules plus 2 others in case you don't get your firms (this rarely happens) - these run up to the end of December and then in January, after the holidays, you will pick 3 new modules! I would recommend getting it completed asap but I'm sure it won't hurt it you leave it a couple of days.

Normally you will choose 1 module for your main degree and the other 2 can be absolutely anything you want from Education to Computing!

Lectures start pretty much a day or two after you arrive so try not to get too smashed haha. The first one will just be "Welcome to [Subject], here's how it will work" and then after that you will pretty much dive straight into the coursework. Note that lectures are optional, but highly recommended, with the classes/seminars being compulsory (you can miss up to 3 per semester before you get your grade capped at 3C)

If you want an easy course then do the CSC9A1 course (the web design one) because it's piss easy, and if you have SG Maths then have a crack at MAT911 which is taught by Donald Smith.

Anything involving Journalism, Education or Politics will have you write weekly essays and dissertations with the seminars consisting heavily of groupwork, something I struggled with but this might be something you like/are much better at it than I am.

In terms of freshers passes etc, I never really bothered but from what my friends said you need one to join a society. For the clubbing etc they will usually be guys floating about giving out flyers telling you when an event is on and how to get tickets/if you need tickets and how much everything will be - I've been told it's good value for those who are skint!

I think you get a discount for the gym since you're a student but you may need some sort of pass thing.

If you have any questions on the day then there will be Student Reps in Red T-Shirts there to help and a handful of "Info Lectures" that you can tag along at which will give you a full detailed overview of the Uni's facilities.

Most important though, remember to have fun and enjoy 1st Year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRedGoldfish)
    Hi Ryan, basically, when that portal opens you will need to select your modules - you choose 3 firm modules plus 2 others in case you don't get your firms (this rarely happens) - these run up to the end of December and then in January, after the holidays, you will pick 3 new modules! I would recommend getting it completed asap but I'm sure it won't hurt it you leave it a couple of days.

Normally you will choose 1 module for your main degree and the other 2 can be absolutely anything you want from Education to Computing!

Lectures start pretty much a day or two after you arrive so try not to get too smashed haha. The first one will just be "Welcome to [Subject], here's how it will work" and then after that you will pretty much dive straight into the coursework. Note that lectures are optional, but highly recommended, with the classes/seminars being compulsory (you can miss up to 3 per semester before you get your grade capped at 3C)

If you want an easy course then do the CSC9A1 course (the web design one) because it's piss easy, and if you have SG Maths then have a crack at MAT911 which is taught by Donald Smith.

Anything involving Journalism, Education or Politics will have you write weekly essays and dissertations with the seminars consisting heavily of groupwork, something I struggled with but this might be something you like/are much better at it than I am.

In terms of freshers passes etc, I never really bothered but from what my friends said you need one to join a society. For the clubbing etc they will usually be guys floating about giving out flyers telling you when an event is on and how to get tickets/if you need tickets and how much everything will be - I've been told it's good value for those who are skint!

I think you get a discount for the gym since you're a student but you may need some sort of pass thing.

If you have any questions on the day then there will be Student Reps in Red T-Shirts there to help and a handful of "Info Lectures" that you can tag along at which will give you a full detailed overview of the Uni's facilities.

Most important though, remember to have fun and enjoy 1st Year!
    Thanks! I wasn't really aware about any of that, and regarding the modules I wasn't sure whether I was to pick modules from any subject in addition to the subject I've chosen to study or whether I was to choose which modules I wanted to take within the course I've chosen to study.

I got conflicting answers to that at the open day, one of the presentations I went to seemed to say that you could study whatever you wanted in addition to the subject you've applied for, whilst at the Environmental Geography presentation it seemed to say that you study a few compulsory core modules and then you choose from a number of optional modules which are still related to your chosen subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan2233)
    Thanks! I wasn't really aware about any of that, and regarding the modules I wasn't sure whether I was to pick modules from any subject in addition to the subject I've chosen to study or whether I was to choose which modules I wanted to take within the course I've chosen to study.

I got conflicting answers to that at the open day, one of the presentations I went to seemed to say that you could study whatever you wanted in addition to the subject you've applied for, whilst at the Environmental Geography presentation it seemed to say that you study a few compulsory core modules and then you choose from a number of optional modules which are still related to your chosen subject.
    Ryan, the Environmental Geography degree is very scripted. You will have two compulsory modules. Then your third module will be an option of a politics module, a microeconomics module or a social differentiation module. There isn't much choice.

I changed my degree from Env. Geo. to Env. Science because it was much more flexible - it allows me to take a module is just about anything I want. History, Law, Psychology, Computing, you name it. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calum10)
    Ryan, the Environmental Geography degree is very scripted. You will have two compulsory modules. Then your third module will be an option of a politics module, a microeconomics module or a social differentiation module. There isn't much choice.

I changed my degree from Env. Geo. to Env. Science because it was much more flexible - it allows me to take a module is just about anything I want. History, Law, Psychology, Computing, you name it. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Calum, that's interesting! I didn't know you could change your course. Tbh I don't really understand what the difference is between the Env. Geo course and Env Science course, they seem very similar.

I've picked my modules now anyway, your right the choices were very limited and none of them I want to do but I eventually went with politics, even although it doesn't seem to go too well with an environmental geography course.

ReputationRep:
    Online administrative enrolment will open on the 26th, so you don't need to worry about that for a couple of weeks.

Hopefully you've managed to get your modules picked, your optional modules don't have to be related to your course - you can do whatever you like.

You will need to send a photo of yourself in, for your student ID card, which you will pick up once you arrive - this is uploaded to the Portal.

You automatically become a member of the student union, but if you want to buy an f-pass, you can do so by logging onto the Union website.

You'll need to pay membership fees to join clubs & societies, but you can do that after you've arrived - on Tuesday and Wednesday of freshers week there are fayres where you can have a look at all the clubs that you could join.
    Similarly you can pay your gym membership after you arrive, or on the Portal just now.

Hope this all helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.