The Student Room Group

Am i a young carer?

What is a young carer
Is it a young carer for a fam wit a proper physical disability
Or does mental health count
Like chronic depression
R all young carers working
Kos I've never worked my fam member brought:colondollar: me while being unwell
Carers can be for mental or physical health problems.
Reply 2
If you spend a significant amount of time and/or effort looking after a family member then, yes, you are a young carer.
Reply 3
Original post by Comus
If you spend a significant amount of time and/or effort looking after a family member then, yes, you are a young carer.

By that do u mean technically? Or my opinion

Like would ik if I am a young carer
Would a nurse tell me :s?
Original post by Anonymous
By that do u mean technically? Or my opinion

Like would ik if I am a young carer
Would a nurse tell me :s?

You need to get the family member to make an appointment with their GP, and you need to go with them as well. The GP will assess the family member's mental health condition, then if they think you are a young carer from the information you both provide, the GP will refer you to social services who will come to your house and do a social care assessment with both of you. The social worker will then officially tell you if you are a young carer or not, and they will offer you financial and social support.

It might be the case that the family member's needs are too severe for you to deal with, and in which case the social worker will give the family member a free external carer to come to your house a few times a day to care for that person, paid for by the council. Obviously if you don't live with this family member then the carer will go to the family member's house.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Pectorac
You need to get the family member to make an appointment with their GP, and you need to go with them as well. The GP will assess the family member's mental health condition, then if they think you are a young carer from the information you both provide, the GP will refer you to social services who will come to your house and do a social care assessment with both of you. The social worker will then officially tell you if you are a young carer or not, and they will offer you financial and social support.

It might be the case that the family member's needs are too severe for you to deal with, and in which case the social worker will give the family member a free external carer to come to your house a few times a day to care for that person, paid for by the council. Obviously if you don't live with this family member then the carer will go to the family member's house.

What if my family member that brought me up is suffering a chronic mental health like depression or anxiety etc..

and just recently stopped working
and me for example, i am 15

Does that make me a young carer ? if it is just us two living together
although i go school full time ?and don't actually care for this person because the mental health nurse comes ??
What if my family member that brought me up is suffering a chronic mental health like depression or anxiety etc..

and just recently stopped working
and me for example, i am 15

Does that make me a young carer ? if it is just us two living together
although i go school full time ?and don't actually care for this person because the mental health nurse comes ??

If you don't actively care for the person, you're just living with them, then no, I wouldn't think you're a carer...
Reply 7
Original post by River Shadow
If you don't actively care for the person, you're just living with them, then no, I wouldn't think you're a carer...

Thanks for responding but maybe i have not made it clear.

I don't want peoples opinion.
I want to know if i am technically a young carer according to the law or whatever.

Or is it really just a person that physically cares for their parent/guardian
Reply 8
I just wanted to know the criteria. It would be silly that it is based on a persons opinion because someone could call me a young carer when i don't even like my family member [for example]

Also universities do bursaries for young carers and always wanted to know who fell into that criteria especially since most postgraduates are over 20

Not that young.
Thanks for responding but maybe i have not made it clear.

I don't want peoples opinion.
I want to know if i am technically a young carer according to the law or whatever.

Or is it really just a person that physically cares for their parent/guardian

Not knowing the ins and outs of your situation, no-one here can actually tell you, but based on what you've said in regards to not caring for them as a mental health nurse comes and does so, I don't think you fit the definition. These webpages might give you some more help.

http://www.nhs.uk/CarersDirect/carerslives/aboutcaring/Pages/Whatisacarer.aspx

http://www.carers.org/what-carer
Thanks
I think that if you live with somebody that is physically or mentally unwell and you actively care for them, then you would be classed as a young carer. Whereas if you're just living with somebody that is unwell, which I believe is your situation, then you're not technically a carer. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saralouise95
I think that if you live with somebody that is physically or mentally unwell and you actively care for them, then you would be classed as a young carer. Whereas if you're just living with somebody that is unwell, which I believe is your situation, then you're not technically a carer. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kind of. Sometimes people come to help to motivate with activities.

One time my fam member psychiatrist came over to see me because i was young and told me info on meeting other people my age and stuff. She gave me leaflets of youth club.

IDK why she did
and that really made me feel like a young carer person
Kind of. Sometimes people come to help to motivate with activities.

One time my fam member psychiatrist came over to see me because i was young and told me info on meeting other people my age and stuff. She gave me leaflets of youth club.

IDK why she did
and that really made me feel like a young carer person

If you dont mind me asking, is this person a parent? Or somebody else? The leaflets and things perhaps suggests that the psychiatrist thought that you were getting bogged down with looking after your family member and was maybe missing out on interacting with people your own age? I'm not too sure from what you've written on here to be fair, would you just like to know if you're classed as a carer for reference or other reasons? The easiest way may be to straight out ask the nurse that come whether they believe you're in the young carer bracket.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
What do you do to help this family member? Do you do the shopping because they can't leave the house or aren't motivated to do so themselves? Do you cook meals for them? Make telephone calls? Do you encourage this person to get up, dressed and washed because they otherwise wouldn't do it? Do you provide this person with emotional or physical support on a regular basis?

If you've answered yes to any of those, then i would consider you a young carer. 'Caring' happens in many different ways, not just physical.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks. I got my answer.

I am an adult now, i was just describing situations related to me from long time ago and giving example to get answer to a question i had in my head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending