Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grade Boundaries WILL be LOWER this year ,woooaaahhh Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know that there'd been some discussion regarding 2014 grade boundaries but I think I have a definitive answer. I am so sorry to have to quote the Daily Mail but I just found their article so I think I have a duty to share.So here's the key stuff:

GCSE and A-level results will fall at some schools this summer following a crackdown on resits, watchdogs are warning.
    Blah blah blah...
    Guidance issued yesterday warns that pupils ‘who have not had the opportunity to re-sit will generally do less well’.
    BUT
    National results will be kept broadly in line with previous years to prevent unfairness to this summer’s candidates.
    Examiners will lower grade boundaries if necessary to ensure results remain consistent year-on-year.

So can I be happy now?

ReputationRep:
    And here's the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-results.html

ReputationRep:
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Can't scream cuz like everyone is sleeping..
    Ya get me :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    1. It's the Daily Fail, who use scare tactics and crap reporting.
    2. Boundaries is only mentioned once, 'if necessary', which it won't be to a massive extent. They always say that every year, and boundaries are raised or lowered every year anyway, if necessary.
    3. Nothing will be dramatically lowered. Live with it.

ReputationRep:
    If necessary

ReputationRep:
    well thats lame as ****. That means my year was probably the hardest of them all.

ReputationRep:
    Thats great but doesn't it say 'if necessary'? How do they measure what's necessary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    1. It's the Daily Fail, who use scare tactics and crap reporting.
    2. Boundaries is only mentioned once, 'if necessary', which it won't be to a massive extent. They always say that every year, and boundaries are raised or lowered every year anyway, if necessary.
    3. Nothing will be lowered. Live with it.
    I did apologise for quoting the Daily ****. But I think they are quoting an Ofqual agent and there is very little of their ****ty judgements in this article. But think about it. Pupils didnt take units in Jan and are less prepares, they should also retake AS level exams which they couldnt in Jan. There is a high chance that grade boundaries will be lower then.

However, to be fair, I think- just think but not sure- there is a separate boundary for each grade. For example, for A they compare you with those who got A last year who are good students anyways and whether they are retaking or not isn't going to make a difference. But for C or even B I'm almost sure that they'll be lower.

P.S all I want is 2 marks in History coursework. I got 40 but for an A it was 42 last year. So I dont expect a dramatic fall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    I did apologise for quoting the Daily ****. But I think they are quoting an Ofqual agent and there is very little of their ****ty judgements in this article. But think about it. Pupils didnt take units in Jan and are less prepares, they should also retake AS level exams which they couldnt in Jan. There is a high chance that grade boundaries will be lower then.

However, to be fair, I think- just think but not sure- there is a separate boundary for each grade. For example, for A they compare you with those who got A last year who are good students anyways and whether they are retaking or not isn't going to make a difference. But for C or even B I'm almost sure that they'll be lower.
    Again, basically every single boundary for every single paper is raised or lowered by a few marks every year. If it were officially from Ofqual, it would be on their website that everything will be lowered, which it isn't. Pupils who didn't take exams in January were more prepared, because they had more time to revise.

Nothing dramatic will happen; the same things will happen in the same way as every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatswhy)
    If necessary
    (Original post by moecandy)
    Thats great but doesn't it say 'if necessary'? How do they measure what's necessary!
    1. Guidance issued yesterday warns that pupils ‘who have not had the opportunity to re-sit will generally do less well’.

GCSE and A-level results will fall at some schools this summer following a crackdown on resits

National results will be kept broadly in line with previous years to prevent unfairness to this summer’s candidates.

= lower grade boundaries.
    'If necessary' comes from not being able to rest affecting pupils performance or not. But Ofqual says it will so there's a high chase because they are experts ( or are they?)

ReputationRep:
    Again, basically every single boundary for every single paper is raised or lowered by a few marks every year. If it were officially from Ofqual, it would be on their website that everything will be lowered, which it isn't. Pupils who didn't take exams in January were more prepared, because they had more time to revise.

Nothing dramatic will happen; the same things will happen in the same way as every year.
    did you sit any A-level exams in June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    did you sit any A-level exams in June?
    I took all my AS exams this May/June.

ReputationRep:
    I took all my AS exams this May/June.
    ok, fair enough. But I really hope they'll be lower. This is not fair to us because last year A2 candidates did have this opportunity and university offers remained the same. If other's didnt do that well I think it is necessary to reduce grade boundaries. Also, in my school, a lot of people are doing what's know as intensive A-Level course which is basically doing it all in one year. Last year, they did unit 1 and 3 in Jan and 2 and 4 in june but this year they had to do it all in June which is MUCH more difficult considering that it was their first time doing A-levels. But of course, they are a minority foreign students and their lower performance won't have a significant impact.

ReputationRep:
    May the boundaries be ever in our favour

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.