Can a person who was suffering from Down Syndrome raised the defense of unsound mind Watch

huixian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello the title above is a part of my tutorial question. The question stated that two young men wanted to make some quick money and they entered their neighbour's house to commit theft. While they were deciding on what items to steal, they heard a noise in the kitchen. The owner of the house came back. They put a black cloth over her head and shut her mouth tightly. At the end the owner dead. One of the young man was proven that he was suffering from Down Syndrome. So, is it possible to raise the defense of unsound mind for this young man? Thank you.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by huixian)
Hello the title above is a part of my tutorial question. The question stated that two young men wanted to make some quick money and they entered their neighbour's house to commit theft. While they were deciding on what items to steal, they heard a noise in the kitchen. The owner of the house came back. They put a black cloth over her head and shut her mouth tightly. At the end the owner dead. One of the young man was proven that he was suffering from Down Syndrome. So, is it possible to raise the defense of unsound mind for this young man? Thank you.
I have absolutely no knowledge of Law, but from a quick google search "Defence of the Unsound Mind" refers to insane people who cannot think or act like a normal human being. I'm not an expert on Down's Syndrome and whilst as far as I know they do tend to have a lower IQ than average, they are definitely not insane and they're capable of thinking rationally. So if Down's is the only thing afflicting them then I would guess no, it's not possible.
Maura Kat
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by huixian)
before I answer you question directly.
i hope you wrote extensively about
1) joint enterprise,
2) burglary S9(1)(a) &/or S9(1)b,
3) theft,
4) murder and manslaughter

with regards to down syndrome, you might want to look at this.
http://www.lawteacher.net/medical-la...bnormality.php
miscle
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A classic case of diminished responsibility ("a potential defense by excuse by whichdefendants argue that although they broke the law, they should not be held fully criminallyliable for doing so, as their mental functions were "diminished" or impaired"). Chlorophile is correct in saying that they are not insane and thus defense of unsound mind is not applicable.
huixian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I have absolutely no knowledge of Law, but from a quick google search "Defence of the Unsound Mind" refers to insane people who cannot think or act like a normal human being. I'm not an expert on Down's Syndrome and whilst as far as I know they do tend to have a lower IQ than average, they are definitely not insane and they're capable of thinking rationally. So if Down's is the only thing afflicting them then I would guess no, it's not possible.

Hey there, thanks a lot for your opinion
huixian
Rep:
?
(Original post by Maura Kat)
before I answer you question directly.
i hope you wrote extensively about
1) joint enterprise,
2) burglary S9(1)(a) &/or S9(1)b,
3) theft,
4) murder and manslaughter

with regards to down syndrome, you might want to look at this.
http://www.lawteacher.net/medical-la...bnormality.php

Thank you. The information you gave surely helps me a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.58%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.53%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.42%
It might lead to more bullying (56)
36.84%
There's nothing they could do (42)
27.63%

Watched Threads