The Student Room Group

Where to buy good quality winter clothing in London or Edinburgh?

I am moving to Scotland (St. Andrews, if you're wondering) for university this September and because I come from the U.A.E., I don't own any clothing items that are suitable in the slightest bit for the weather. I plan on doing some shopping for the essentials and basics while I'm abroad and I wanted to know if someone would please recommend any stores to me that are in either London or Edinburgh (However, I'm not completely certain at this point if I'll be stopping at London for a few days or not) that sell reasonably priced good quality winter clothing and basics? I would be very grateful, thank you! :smile:
Original post by amazonianmaiden
I am moving to Scotland (St. Andrews, if you're wondering) for university this September and because I come from the U.A.E., I don't own any clothing items that are suitable in the slightest bit for the weather. I plan on doing some shopping for the essentials and basics while I'm abroad and I wanted to know if someone would please recommend any stores to me that are in either London or Edinburgh (However, I'm not completely certain at this point if I'll be stopping at London for a few days or not) that sell reasonably priced good quality winter clothing and basics? I would be very grateful, thank you! :smile:

That would depend on what climate you are used to, for example a native Scot might wear t-shirt outside in a mild temperature but you on the other hand may find that to be too cold. Bearing in mind you come from a place that sees much more sun than here, I would recommend getting a decent winter jacket for the coldest days, a waterproof jacket for rainy ones, hats, scarfs, gloves, a couple of thick jumpers and maybe 3 or 4 thinner jumpers/blazers/hoodies for milder weather. Generally it doesn't get too cold, during winter expect the temperature to stay between -5°C and 10°C. Contrary to popular belief snowfall is rarely severe if present at all. Be prepared for rainy Spring/Winter/Autumn and hopefully a slightly drier summer though!

Just bring the basics and you can buy more as you need. Edinburgh is very good for shopping, as is Glasgow. No need to go to travel to London for this.

I hope I have been of some help - let me know if there's anything else.
For reasonably priced clothing: Barbour, or John Lewis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending