Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've just finished installing the new OS X Yosemite beta, and having a play around with it, gotta say it feels a lot different, don't know if I can get use to this.

What do you guys think of it?

ReputationRep:
    I've only used Mac OS X Mountain Lion and that was at school.
    I've seen pictures of the Yosemite. It looks a bit...wrong with the iOS7 interface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 54together)
    I've only used Mac OS X Mountain Lion and that was at school.
    I've seen pictures of the Yosemite. It looks a bit...wrong with the iOS7 interface.
    Yosemite takes a bit of getting use to in terms of looks, if I'm honest. I think it's a bit of a either you love it or hate it type of thing. Personally I don't mind as it should integrate better with iOS 8. Which is what they were probably going for.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using OS X 10.10 as my main OS since the keynote and have found nothing but improvements. i know there are a lot of people doubting the aesthetics and yearning for mavericks but i bet if any of them used yosemite for any period of time and went back to mavericks there would be plenty of functionality that they would miss, especially if they're invested in the apple ecosystem with an iPad and iPhone and what not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanNeedham)
    I've been using OS X 10.10 as my main OS since the keynote and have found nothing but improvements. i know there are a lot of people doubting the aesthetics and yearning for mavericks but i bet if any of them used yosemite for any period of time and went back to mavericks there would be plenty of functionality that they would miss, especially if they're invested in the apple ecosystem with an iPad and iPhone and what not
    I'm really looking forward to the integration of the iOS and OS X. When I first got my mac I had no idea that I would use iMessage and FaceTime as much as I do. Being able to text and ring from my laptop would be great, as I tend to leave my phone around my room and sometimes miss calls as I can't find it. Also being able to carry on working whilst on the phone on your laptop is a huge plus.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

I will be honest here...I don't see why they need to update it.

I also feel that by updating it unnecessarily, it could cause them to do something that people do not like. If they are going to change something, they have to make it significant, so that they can make a big deal about it and put ads all over the mac app store saying how wonderful it is. They will then put all the new features on and say what's awesome about it. Then the user downloads it, finds the desktop looks terrible and instantly dislikes it!

On the other hand, they could be putting really good things on it and it could be awesome, but I just hope they put necessary things on, rather than changing things for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I'm really looking forward to the integration of the iOS and OS X. When I first got my mac I had no idea that I would use iMessage and FaceTime as much as I do. Being able to text and ring from my laptop would be great, as I tend to leave my phone around my room and sometimes miss calls as I can't find it. Also being able to carry on working whilst on the phone on your laptop is a huge plus.
    its so awesome having everything appear consistently on all of your devices from documents to phone calls, having it to the level of fluidity that iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite does will be something all the other companies will be chasing for years and the only ones in a position to actually of it are google, except nobody with half a brain bought a chrome book and the level of diversity between the hardware from their mobile platform would make comparability between your devices a massive shot in the dark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanNeedham)
    its so awesome having everything appear consistently on all of your devices from documents to phone calls, having it to the level of fluidity that iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite does will be something all the other companies will be chasing for years and the only ones in a position to actually of it are google, except nobody with half a brain bought a chrome book and the level of diversity between the hardware from their mobile platform would make comparability between your devices a massive shot in the dark
    Exactly. It's one of the major pros of apple software, easy, user friendly, and everything works together seamlessly. I never realised why people like apple products so much but after using an iPhone for about two years (switching to the nexus for a brief period) and a mac a couple of months ago. I have no regrets. It is by far the best decisions I have made in terms of technology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gandall)
    I will be honest here...I don't see why they need to update it.

I also feel that by updating it unnecessarily, it could cause them to do something that people do not like. If they are going to change something, they have to make it significant, so that they can make a big deal about it and put ads all over the mac app store saying how wonderful it is. They will then put all the new features on and say what's awesome about it. Then the user downloads it, finds the desktop looks terrible and instantly dislikes it!

On the other hand, they could be putting really good things on it and it could be awesome, but I just hope they put necessary things on, rather than changing things for the sake of it.
    They're not just updating for the sake of it. They are integrating iOS and OS X which is a very good move. You don't want all your devices functioning on their own. You want to be able to access your files on the move on your mobile, start an email on the way to work/back home and finish it when you open up your laptop. You want the same look and feel across all your hardware. Well I do anyway. I welcome the upgrade.
    Yes that is apples way of advertising and its very effective.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by TSA)
    They're not just updating for the sake of it. They are integrating iOS and OS X which is a very good move. You don't want all your devices functioning on their own. You want to be able to access your files on the move on your mobile, start an email on the way to work/back home and finish it when you open up your laptop. You want the same look and feel across all your hardware. Well I do anyway. I welcome the upgrade.
    Yes that is apples way of advertising and its very effective.
    This is true, it is good

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.