Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I go through clearing or take this job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I need some advice. This year I applied to uni for a course which I realised (too late) that I didn't want to do. I then underwent work experience and decided I wanted to do Occupational Therapy;I also underwent other activities to strengthen my application (I was already volunteering, I read books, went on a workshop etc.) I was told that Occupational Therapy was pretty likely to come up in clearing (two universities were already offering it through clearing) so I was pretty determined to go through clearing. However, yesterday, I got offered a great job as a Health Care Assistant for six months in a Hospital and I am curious as to what I should do next. This Health Care Assistant Job would strengthen my application for university next year (if I chose to accept it) and would be a great bonus to my CV when I have graduated and are looking for jobs (not to mention my future CPD folder) and it would give me the chance to get into the university that I desperately want to get into as opposed to a uni which I was offered through clearing. However, it would mean putting university off for another year which I really wouldn't want to do.
    Any advice? Should I go through clearing or not?
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Take the job, and apply for the uni you really want to go to, next year. A year out will be beneficial for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouieSax)
    Hey guys,
    I need some advice. This year I applied to uni for a course which I realised (too late) that I didn't want to do. I then underwent work experience and decided I wanted to do Occupational Therapy;I also underwent other activities to strengthen my application (I was already volunteering, I read books, went on a workshop etc.) I was told that Occupational Therapy was pretty likely to come up in clearing (two universities were already offering it through clearing) so I was pretty determined to go through clearing. However, yesterday, I got offered a great job as a Health Care Assistant for six months in a Hospital and I am curious as to what I should do next. This Health Care Assistant Job would strengthen my application for university next year (if I chose to accept it) and would be a great bonus to my CV when I have graduated and are looking for jobs (not to mention my future CPD folder) and it would give me the chance to get into the university that I desperately want to get into as opposed to a uni which I was offered through clearing. However, it would mean putting university off for another year which I really wouldn't want to do.
    Any advice? Should I go through clearing or not?
    Thanks guys
    I would say go for the job and take a gap year, going through clearing is tough because even if you get your place in uni. You got to sort out accommodation, student finance and everything else which is tricky. Also time flies, so don't worry about taking a year out will affect you apart from learning but your job will give you life experience and make contacts and develop your employability. But end of the day, its up to you.

Advantages for a gap year are:
    Saving money and finance
    Gain work experience
    Clearer plans
    Better chance of going to better university
    Time for travelling and holidays

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vibenation)
    I would say go for the job and take a gap year, going through clearing is tough because even if you get your place in uni. You got to sort out accommodation, student finance and everything else which is tricky. Also time flies, so don't worry about taking a year out will affect you apart from learning but your job will give you life experience and make contacts and develop your employability. But end of the day, its up to you.

Advantages for a gap year are:
    Saving money and finance
    Gain work experience
    Clearer plans
    Better chance of going to better university
    Time for travelling and holidays

Good luck
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    Take the job, and apply for the uni you really want to go to, next year. A year out will be beneficial for you.
    Thanks all, I really appreciate the help! I'll talk to my parents and get their opinions first, I'm just a bit worried that I'll be going to university and I'll be the oldest one there. Out of interest, do you think having this job, will improve my chances of employment for the future? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Obviously the job

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all, I really appreciate the help! I'll talk to my parents and get their opinions first, I'm just a bit worried that I'll be going to university and I'll be the oldest one there. Out of interest, do you think having this job, will improve my chances of employment for the future? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thank You
    Yeah I think having a job will help improve your chances of employment after you graduate. As others have said it'll also improve your application for next year and give you a chance to save some money for university. I wouldn't worry about being too old for university I was 26 when I started my degree and their were people older than me on my course, one man was in his 70s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank You
    You will NOT be the oldest one there! Take the job, clear your head, go to university when you're ready.

ReputationRep:
    Thank You
    Im taking a gap year and had the same thought but then again you'll only ve a year older which isn't that nad plus im sure u wouldnt be the only person in that uni to take a gap year. Considering your circumstances I think a gap year would be good and allow u to apply to a gd uni not just the ones at clearing because your paying to go to uni so it might as well be the one u want to go to not just the ones that are left

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I started uni, when I was 20 years old. Personally just my life experience and work experience puts me in a far better place then I would have been if I was to go any early. Whatever you want to do in life, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank You
    My friend did OT and was the youngest there at 19. The majority were in their 20s and some were in their 30s/40s/50s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    My friend did OT and was the youngest there at 19. The majority were in their 20s and some were in their 30s/40s/50s.
    (Original post by Vibenation)
    I started uni, when I was 20 years old. Personally just my life experience and work experience puts me in a far better place then I would have been if I was to go any early. Whatever you want to do in life, go for it.
    (Original post by Teddysmith123)
    Im taking a gap year and had the same thought but then again you'll only ve a year older which isn't that nad plus im sure u wouldnt be the only person in that uni to take a gap year. Considering your circumstances I think a gap year would be good and allow u to apply to a gd uni not just the ones at clearing because your paying to go to uni so it might as well be the one u want to go to not just the ones that are left

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    You will NOT be the oldest one there! Take the job, clear your head, go to university when you're ready.
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Yeah I think having a job will help improve your chances of employment after you graduate. As others have said it'll also improve your application for next year and give you a chance to save some money for university. I wouldn't worry about being too old for university I was 26 when I started my degree and their were people older than me on my course, one man was in his 70s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Ana81)
    Obviously the job

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank You
    Thanks all I really appreciate it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.