Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English fans are caught in-between disdain and total psychopathy! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've heard this: ''Germans definitely have the beating of us, but it wouldnt work in England''
    ''just England innit''

Players who are put on a pedestal: Barkley, Sterling, Wilshere, Shaw etc etc

All guys with power, running etc. We are caught in a web here, and we should try and get out of it, and then move on. somebody needs to do the brave thing and start all over again. Drop **** players basically.

Bill down the Nags Head might not like it, but somebody needs to do it..

ReputationRep:
    Your players on "a pedastel" have about five caps between them lol.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that players are over-hyped too young when they haven't really done anything yet. I don't think the problem is any more that you value certain skills over others though (some of the players you mentioned are technically skilled). I think the problem is that you make them feel like they have made it and don't have to work hard any more. I think it's a reflection of education and culture...

See here:

Freiburg place great emphasis on academic work, so much so that they like a selection of their staff to come from a teaching background, so that they can provide educational help whenever it is needed, including on the way to matches. It is not uncommon for players to do homework on the coach. Streich says that clubs have a moral obligation to think about what happens to those who fail to make the grade.

"When I went to Aston Villa eight years ago I told them our players, under-17, 18 and 19, go to school for 34 hours a week," he says. "They said: 'No, you're a liar, it's not possible, our players go for nine hours.' I said: 'No, I'm not lying.' They said: 'It's not possible, you can't train and do 34 hours of education.' I said: 'Sure. And what do you do with the players who have for three years, from the age of 16 to 19, only had nine hours a week of school?

"They said: 'They have to try to be a professional or not. They have to decide.' I said: 'No, we can't do that in Freiburg. It's wrong. Most players in our academy can't be professionals, they will have to look for a job. The school is the most important thing, then comes football.' We give players the best chance to be a footballer but we give them two educations here. If 80% can't go on to play in the professional team, we have to look out for them. The players that play here, the majority of them go on to higher education. And we need intelligent players on the pitch anyway."
    What's not even mentioned is that the 9 hours English players do get are all about sports, because most of them do the "Apprenticeship in Sports Excellence". I have nothing against sport, but I think that is a mistake because it leaves players to settle happily in their comfort zone. In Germany the 34 hours are spent German, English, Maths, Sciences, History, Geography, etc.. it is not directly relevant to sport, but it may teach them to work hard at something they may not be that good at, which is an important mental skill...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I agree that players are over-hyped too young when they haven't really done anything yet. I don't think the problem is any more that you value certain skills over others though (some of the players you mentioned are technically skilled). I think the problem is that you make them feel like they have made it and don't have to work hard any more. I think it's a reflection of education and culture...

See here:

What's not even mentioned is that the 9 hours English players do get are all about sports, because most of them do the "Apprenticeship in Sports Excellence". I have nothing against sport, but I think that is a mistake because it leaves players to settle happily in their comfort zone. In Germany the 34 hours are spent German, English, Maths, Sciences, History, Geography, etc.. it is not directly relevant to sport, but it may teach them to work hard at something they may not be that good at, which is an important mental skill...
    Unfortunately countries and clubs which insist on looking after young players properly by insisting on twin track education + football then find their kids being poached by the likes of Man United (I admit to being a fan). Morally that bothers me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 26, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.