Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Desperately need advice, please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've done my first year at Imperial college doing biochem, I did ok on 3 out of 4 modules, but I've failed one of them so I'm resisting the exam in August ( Have to pass all 4 modules to proceed to 2nd year). I know why I failed, I didn't revise enough, I've always been the person who does tons and tons of revision, and every past paper a billion times (got A* A* A at a level). But I have zero friends at Uni, and I really don't enjoy the course, I was just so lonely and isolated for the whole year, I couldn't motivate myself and I feel like such a waste of space for failing that exam.

It's the summer now, so I'm guessing it's too late to apply to a different Uni and course for September 2014, so here are my problems
    1. I have no backbone, I'm terrified of telling my mum I want to drop out
    2. I've got people who are searching for accommodation for 4 people which includes myself, sure it would mess things up I said I wasn't moving in
    3. I've had such a sheltered life really, never had a proper job, always done brilliantly at school and worked my ass off, but now I feel like my life is just falling to pieces

I'm honestly considering the army, don't tell my mum, just pack up and leave, no one knows how much I'm struggling, I feel so pathetic, a part of me wants to fail this resit so I have an excuse to not go back.

I'm considering doing medicine somewhere closer to home ( eg Manchester or Lancaster), what should I do?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hdocker1994)
    I've done my first year at Imperial college doing biochem, I did ok on 3 out of 4 modules, but I've failed one of them so I'm resisting the exam in August ( Have to pass all 4 modules to proceed to 2nd year). I know why I failed, I didn't revise enough, I've always been the person who does tons and tons of revision, and every past paper a billion times (got A* A* A at a level). But I have zero friends at Uni, and I really don't enjoy the course, I was just so lonely and isolated for the whole year, I couldn't motivate myself and I feel like such a waste of space for failing that exam.

It's the summer now, so I'm guessing it's too late to apply to a different Uni and course for September 2014, so here are my problems
    1. I have no backbone, I'm terrified of telling my mum I want to drop out
    2. I've got people who are searching for accommodation for 4 people which includes myself, sure it would mess things up I said I wasn't moving in
    3. I've had such a sheltered life really, never had a proper job, always done brilliantly at school and worked my ass off, but now I feel like my life is just falling to pieces

I'm honestly considering the army, don't tell my mum, just pack up and leave, no one knows how much I'm struggling, I feel so pathetic, a part of me wants to fail this resit so I have an excuse to not go back.

I'm considering doing medicine somewhere closer to home ( eg Manchester or Lancaster), what should I do?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this

Hi how r u? I feel bad for you because I know how isolation feels... Having no friends is upsetting but I really think that you should continue. Don't let your hardwork for 3 modules go down the drain... But then again its your choice... LISTEN TO YOUR HEART... If u really don't feel happy at Uni then drop out as u could go to it again once you feel happy... If u want to go to the Army then u should gather up the courage to tell your mother or she will be heart broken if she finds out from someone else...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear how you're feeling. Be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water - you passed 3 and have the academic ability to resist and pass the 4th. I struggled a bit socially throughout my uni experience but still look on it fondly in hindsight. Things could look up. Generally in my experience bad times pass and new opportunities open up if you keep a level head - this applies to academic matters, friends, relationships...

This said, the earlier you decide to change, if that is the right answer, the better. I would try the student support / counciling services. They are really experienced with helping with this type of problem. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Your life is not falling to pieces, don't worry - you're just having a very stressful time at the moment. Things WILL get better, whatever happens and whatever you decide to do.

If I was you, I would revise as hard as I possibly could for this resit. It just gives you more choices. You can still decide not to continue with the course, you don't need an excuse like failing a resit to drop out. But if you can possibly give yourself the option of continuing, it might help things.

I really think it would help you if you could bring yourself to tell someone about how things are for you at the moment. You could really do with someone's support right now, just to help talk things through with you and weigh up pros and cons etc. And don't count letting people down re accommodation as a con - sure it might be inconvenient for them but you have to put yourself first. Just take that right out of the equation.

I don't know for sure but I would imagine that you are too late to apply for medicine for September 2014. What about trying really hard to pass this module, and when you do pass it, continue with the course while applying for medicine for September 2015? Just buy yourself some time - you don't have to decide anything this summer.

Of course if the course/being at uni is really making you desperately unhappy then that is the main priority which should be addressed immediately. You are not a waste of space. There are so many people who find that the uni/course they've chosen is not for them, but when they start again somewhere else find that actually they can do this and things can go right for them at uni.

Good luck with whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    Contact imperial, maybe you can even postpone your studies for a year while you decide what to do? Though come up with a better excuse than that when you tell them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.