Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In conversations with colleagues and fellow accountants - particularly the more experienced/higher up - I've noticed that they stay at their jobs from somewhere between 1-3 years, especially early on in their careers. In fact, I am often advised not to stick to one job for too long.

Is this the case particularly with our line of work?

ReputationRep:
    If you feel like you're stagnating then absolutely. Changing jobs keeps you fresh, less complacent and learning.

I did a 3 year grad scheme and changed jobs 5 times, and picked up a wealth of knowledge and skills that I just wouldn't have gotten if I had stayed in one place for 3 years.

If on the other hand you have a fairly senior job, or one that's quite fast paced by nature then it's good to stick around. Really depends on the job!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apart from a paper round as a teenager and a couple of volunteer roles, I've never had a job for more than a year, and I'm 22. It's for various reasons (redundancy, temp contracts, really disliked the job, etc). I have the opposite problem of worrying whether it looks bad to be job hopping too much, and so I'm hoping I will find a job soon that I can really stick to for the long term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    In conversations with colleagues and fellow accountants - particularly the more experienced/higher up - I've noticed that they stay at their jobs from somewhere between 1-3 years, especially early on in their careers. In fact, I am often advised not to stick to one job for too long.

Is this the case particularly with our line of work?
    Depends on a lot of factors. In practice some people dig in for the long haul and it can be quite rewarding if you establish a good reputation early on and make the drive upwards quickly.

In industry you tend to hit natural bottlenecks and the only way round these is to jump ship. Sometimes that happens in practice as well, or you simply get offered a step up as an enticement to move.

For younger accountants there's an obvious tendency to move after qualifying and I don't think anyone minds a junior accountant with a few 2 year stints on the CV. Changes once you get more senior.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.