Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dual carriageway merging into 1 lane after lights Watch

ReputationRep:
    You're on a DC at red lights, and just down the road they merge into 1 lane.

You're in a powerful-ish car in the right lane, and some boy racer in a sub 100bhp hatch is in the left lane, and he gives it the beans to make it ahead of you.

Do you give it some stick and put him in his place ?

ReputationRep:
    Put him in his place tbh. The reason I pulled up on that lane in the first place was to eventually be ahead of him.

But it's more enjoyable when I pull up next to a car of similar BHP (this makes me sound like the boy racer haha oh well)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would accelerate normally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by live_a_life)
    Put him in his place tbh. The reason I pulled up on that lane in the first place was to eventually be ahead of him.

But it's more enjoyable when I pull up next to a car of similar BHP (this makes me sound like the boy racer haha oh well)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everyone loves a good show down
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I would accelerate normally.
    Never been tempted to put someone in their place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeamanStaines)
    Yeah. And if you live in/around Staines (judging from your name, ignoring the not-so-innocent implication haha) you might get that showdown next time I'm there :P (I go to Royal Holloway in Egham)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. And if you live in/around Staines (judging from your name, ignoring the not-so-innocent implication haha) you might get that showdown next time I'm there :P (I go to Royal Holloway in Egham)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're in for more than you bargained for if you take on a turbo charged remapped sports saloon

ReputationRep:

Never been tempted to put someone in their place?
    Accelerating normally in a powerful car against a sub 100hp car does put them in their place.

You really don't need to try. I have 3x the power of most cars!

Unless of course said other car is a Passat, that will wipe the floor with my lightweight, tuned sports car with its waves of dullness powering it.

ReputationRep:
    Does the powerful-ish happen to be a Passat with Mr Traintracks behind the wheel?

ReputationRep:
    So, although everyone's your enemy on the road, you shouldn't play first away at the lights, it's bad for the environment..

ReputationRep:

You're in for more than you bargained for if you take on a turbo charged remapped sports saloon
    I had a feeling your Passat was remapped after reading your other post.

I've got a 150BHP BMW 320d. I'm still optimistic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've put a couple of old bangers in their place with the old honda civic 1.4is (european model) 1998 lol, but I always get smoked by any other cars :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Accelerating normally in a powerful car against a sub 100hp car does put them in their place.

You really don't need to try. I have 3x the power of most cars!

Unless of course said other car is a Passat, that will wipe the floor with my lightweight, tuned sports car with its waves of dullness powering it.
    What car do you have ? Are you saying that driving normally would still beat a 100 bhp going flat out?
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    Does the powerful-ish happen to be a Passat with Mr Traintracks behind the wheel?
    Passat handles like its on rails
    (Original post by Zarek)
    So, although everyone's your enemy on the road, you shouldn't play first away at the lights, it's bad for the environment..
    But good for the ego
    I had a feeling your Passat was remapped after reading your other post.

I've got a 150BHP BMW 320d. I'm still optimistic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it the saloon or the estate?

ReputationRep:
    What car do you have ? Are you saying that driving normally would still beat a 100 bhp going flat out?

Passat handles like its on rails

But good for the ego

Honda S2000. Highly tuned. 301bhp. Yes, driving normally would beat a 100hp car off the line.

I have a 100hp bike and trust me, you don't need to even try and beat pretty much anything off the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)

ReputationRep:

Saloon. I love it. Next year probably going to go for the 184BHP BMW 320d.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Honda S2000. Highly tuned. 301bhp. Yes, driving normally would beat a 100hp car off the line.

I have a 100hp bike and trust me, you don't need to even try and beat pretty much anything off the line.
    Interesting. If you were to eco drive it. That is feather the throttle and change up at 2.5k, do you think it would outpace a ragged 100 bhp Golf ?
    Saloon. I love it. Next year probably going to go for the 184BHP BMW 320d.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very good car that. #saloonswag

ReputationRep:
    Very good car that. #saloonswag
    Thanks, buddy. It handles like an absolute dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, buddy. It handles like an absolute dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What other cars have you had that you can compare its handling to ?

I'm tempted by a 330d or 530d for my next car.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do whatevers safe...

ReputationRep:
    What other cars have you had that you can compare its handling to ?

I'm tempted by a 330d or 530d for my next car.
    Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Astra, Vauxhall Vectra, Ford Galaxy, BMW 520i (a 1990 model), Mercedes-Benz Vaneo.

None of the above come remotely close to how 'in control' the 3 series makes me feel. It's a great machine!

330d vs 530d is an incredibly hard choice! I think I'd end up going for the 530d. 5 series just feels so luxurious when you're inside!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.